Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> supercharged, bus engine
grasshopper
post Jan 8 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,258
Region Association: None

anyone ever tried to turbo charge or supercharge a bus engine? anyone know if they sell turbochargers or superchargers for bus engines. I have heard of the judson supercharged engines but i dont think they still make those. I think it would be pretty neat to have a turbo 914. Just imagine looing at the back of a 914 "914 turbo" I've got a few bus engines sitting around here and a few engine-less 914. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 8 2005, 10:35 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I know of 2-3 guys on the club here who have done successful turbo's on 914 motors. A bus engine wouldn't be much different other than they are built for torque, not high rpm hp. I have a GE case in a 914 right now, bus 2.0. I haven't driven it yet, but have been told it is all low end and I won't like it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) Not sure if that means it also wouldn't be a good engine to turbo/supercharge? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jan 8 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

What would you do different to make it a a high RPM vs high torque?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 8 2005, 10:41 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

You'll have to get very creative to come up with a way to drive the supercharger. The firewall at the front of the 914's engine bay tilts back, and may interfere with any decently-sized belt and pulley arrangement. You may be able to go off to the side, but you will likely have to relocate various engine bay items (heater blower, battery tray, ECU, maybe the relay board, depending on where you go and how much room you need) to do that.

--DD
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 8 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #5

Village Idiot

QUOTE (ruddyboys @ Jan 8 2005, 08:40 AM)

Not much, I have been told it is the cam and compression. I thought about pulling this engine out and putting in a different cam and P&C's, seeing what that did. It is like a 78' Bus motor and runs great. But the clutch is bad so I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Hey, it's a 2.0! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 8 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

The hydrocam with the hydrolifters kills high rpm power. The other problem is sealing the head to cylinder leaks with a 2.0l as there isnt much meat there. A 1.7l works much better for a turbo.

Geoff
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Jan 8 2005, 11:21 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258

sounds like i'm going to have to do alot of ajusting in the engine compartment . The battery could be relocated in the back trunk and i could go to the right. Then there isn't anything on that side. What the heck. I havn't even found a turbo kit yet. a bus engine might not be bad after its turbocharged
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 8 2005, 11:23 AM
Post #8

Village Idiot

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 8 2005, 09:11 AM)
The hydrocam with the hydrolifters kills high rpm power. The other problem is sealing the head to cylinder leaks with a 2.0l as there isnt much meat there. A 1.7l works much better for a turbo.

Geoff

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) Der! I totaly forgot about that. So my GE case is a hydrolifter case? Wow, hmm, that is tempting to just leave it as is then? Hmm? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 8 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #9

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 8 2005, 08:50 AM)

Not much, I have been told it is the cam and compression. I thought about pulling this engine out and putting in a different cam and P&C's, seeing what that did. It is like a 78' Bus motor and runs great. But the clutch is bad so I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Hey, it's a 2.0! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

The cam? Naaaahhhhh. Same cam. The compression is a bit lower than the European set for our 2 litre engines, but the big difference is in the heads. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 8 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #10

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 8 2005, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 8 2005, 08:50 AM)

The cam? Naaaahhhhh. Same cam. The compression is a bit lower than the European set for our 2 litre engines, but the big difference is in the heads. The Cap'n

Lemme correct myself. The SOLID lifter cams are the same, and the Hydraulic lifter cam is the one lazy people put into their 914s. Yes, you'll likely see lower performance out of that, but you can also put the solid lifter cam in a bus, like VW did until 1976 or 1977. Not that you can really tell the difference. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 8 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #11

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

yep, '78 and newer buses but lots of rebuilts 2.0l bus engine went with the "upgrade". The hydro cam has a different profile and ramps so its pretty weak. I can't say I'd turbo a hydro bus engine but see what the bus engine is.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 8 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I havn't even found a turbo kit yet.

and chances are you aren't going to...nor will you find a supercharger kit....it does not matter if you want to use a 914 engine or bus engine, there is not going to be any kits that'll allow you to just bolt on a turbo or supercharger without plenty of fabrication and engineering work involved......

you should buy and read a few books 1st on the subjects, Corky Bell has a turbo book out as well as a supercharger book, both highly recommended
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 8 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

With a TIV and any forced induction the same issues are still present whether its Turboed or SuperCharged....

I have Supercharged 4 different TIV engines, the most recent for a UK customer to use in a Split window VW Microbus...

We got the power, but it took extremes to make the platform solid enough to do so.

in 2002 I actually had a TIV Supercharging kit available but pulled it off the shelf after all 3 guys that bought one screwed up the install.

Did I mention that Hydro lifters are the worst thing that can be done to a TIV engine????? Well- They are!
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jan 8 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #14

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

on the question of supercharging...

How abouts do you compensate extra fuel injection for that? Or do you run the extra intake off of a carburetor? I could see having to make an extra bracket, find a place to mount the supercharger, fab up an intake manifold, and all the extras... Jake, how hard was your "kit"? Last i heard Aaron has a low compression 1.7 soon to be in his posession. With access to some sheetmetal tools i think we could work something... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 8 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 8 2005, 02:45 PM)
on the question of supercharging...

How abouts do you compensate extra fuel injection for that? Or do you run the extra intake off of a carburetor? I could see having to make an extra bracket, find a place to mount the supercharger, fab up an intake manifold, and all the extras... Jake, how hard was your "kit"? Last i heard Aaron has a low compression 1.7 soon to be in his posession. With access to some sheetmetal tools i think we could work something... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

for extra fuel=no different than a turbo....you ditch the stock FI and go with an aftermarket programable setup.....or use CIS like the few 914 turbos on the list are doing...

for driving of the supercharger, just copy how the dealer/aftermarket installed the airconditioning compressor...a better belt system would be needed since I doubt that skinny little belt could drive a supercharger, but for low boost applications, it might work???
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:44 PM