Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First Build Begins 71 1.7, Some question...
Sfreeman615
post Mar 10 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,033
Region Association: South East States

Hey guys, well here it is. My 71 1.7! I'm anxious to get started. First thing I want to do is sand the body down and start the primer process. First Question, what grit sandpaper should I use to begin with to start to get some surface rust off as well as the old paint? I want to get it down to metal and go from there, inside and out. The car also came with 2 trans and I want to know how I know which one came with the car? Sorry for all of the stupid questions, but I'm a nube! Also gonna post a link to more pictures in a post to follow this. I will also add the VIN number to the database on here...Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Sfreeman615
post Mar 10 2014, 01:20 PM
Post #2

Here is a link to more DAY 1 pics. Starting point.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119976543@N04...57642169732544/
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Mar 10 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

You should take off the passenger side rocker panel and check your jack point first. How's the hellhole?
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 10 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #4

Here's a link to a couple hell hole pics. Not to bad compared to some I've seen. It is not rusted thru, just some surface rust.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119976543@N04/13067729523/
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Mar 10 2014, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

Re: The Transmissions,

If one has the input shaft at the tail (tail shifter) that would be the correct type for your year. Can't say if it is original to your car. If you have one with the shifter input on the side towards the rear (side shifter) you may want to use it as it will probably shift better. It would require a different shift rod after the firewall. You could use the other for parts if they are in good shape.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 10 2014, 03:19 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Mar 10 2014, 03:50 PM) *

Re: The Transmissions,

If one has the input shaft at the tail (tail shifter) that would be the correct type for your year. Can't say if it is original to your car. If you have one with the shifter input on the side towards the rear (side shifter) you may want to use it as it will probably shift better. It would require a different shift rod after the firewall. You could use the other for parts if they are in good shape.

Looks they are both tail shifters
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 10 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You have come to the right place - congrats on your purchase. It may be motivating to start a build thread on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Best of luck on your project!
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Mar 10 2014, 05:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(Sfreeman615 @ Mar 10 2014, 12:17 PM) *

Here's a link to a couple hell hole pics. Not to bad compared to some I've seen. It is not rusted thru, just some surface rust.

The battery tray and stand are interesting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'd poke all that with a screw driver.

It's odd the the driver's side seems worse than the passenger side.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.staticflickr.com-11782-1394495955.1.jpg)

The car does have some east coast rust going on, definitely want to see what's under the rockers. No use making the outside pretty if it's about to break in half. -It doesn't seems that bad, though.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 10 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

HEY HEY... another Nashville World member. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I am in Mount Juliet, I'll be glad to lend a hand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I think the previous posts are correct dig deeper before you start making it look pretty. Pull the carpets, seats, firewall pad, threshold covers, rocker covers, put it on stands and poke all over with a screw driver and a wire brush.

Really, let me know if you want assistance. I have gotten great help from this forum, I need to pay it forward.

Took me 2+ years of engine rebuilding and body welding, but I have been driving my 75 pretty much daily since last July. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

Good luck,

Clark
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 10 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Mar 10 2014, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Sfreeman615 @ Mar 10 2014, 12:17 PM) *

The battery tray and stand are interesting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'd poke all that with a screw driver.

It's odd the the driver's side seems worse than the passenger side.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.staticflickr.com-11782-1394495955.1.jpg)

The car does have some east coast rust going on, definitely want to see what's under the rockers. No use making the outside pretty if it's about to break in half. -It doesn't seems that bad, though.

Very good points here!! Gonna start stripping everything out tomorrow interior wise and do some poking around... Keeping my fingers crossed!
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 10 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 10 2014, 08:28 PM) *

HEY HEY... another Nashville World member. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I am in Mount Juliet, I'll be glad to lend a hand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I think the previous posts are correct dig deeper before you start making it look pretty. Pull the carpets, seats, firewall pad, threshold covers, rocker covers, put it on stands and poke all over with a screw driver and a wire brush.

Really, let me know if you want assistance. I have gotten great help from this forum, I need to pay it forward.

Took me 2+ years of engine rebuilding and body welding, but I have been driving my 75 pretty much daily since last July. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

Good luck,

Clark

Thanks man I appreciate it, I'm gonna need help FOR SURE!! Glad to have someone else here in Nashville!!
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 13 2014, 02:54 PM
Post #12

Ok I've stripped the interior completely, of course found more rust, but hey what's new right? Need to get busy on the engine rebuild, sending the body for media blasting and priming in a couple weeks! I'm bound and determined to be driving by July!
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Mar 13 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Welcome to the Madness! We are glad you are here! Good Luck!
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 13 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(Sfreeman615 @ Mar 13 2014, 03:54 PM) *

Ok I've stripped the interior completely, of course found more rust, but hey what's new right? Need to get busy on the engine rebuild, sending the body for media blasting and priming in a couple weeks! I'm bound and determined to be driving by July!

I saw a you tube video, that I can't find now, and they did exactly what you plan on doing. He made a comment in the video about paying a little extra to have them root out ALL the seam sealer. You need ALL of that stuff gone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

While rust attacks these cars it is WATER that causes the rust. Not just driving in the rain, but when water gets in behind the seam sealer and makes a home. that is at the bottom of the sail, behind the door latch, in the trunk, the floors, etc..... And into the longs. The dirt and mud around the rocker covers, windshield trim, all that holds water. Just look around it is everywhere.

Pay extra to have it removed! You don't want to paint over 40 year old faulty seam sealer..... My 2 cents.

hey post some ugly rusty pictures! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) You need some BEFORE shots for your scrap book.

+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 15 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #15

Pay extra to have it removed! You don't want to paint over 40 year old faulty seam sealer..... My 2 cents.

hey post some ugly rusty pictures! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) You need some BEFORE shots for your scrap book.
[/quote]

The worst is at the seam in the floor pan in the passenger side, done on the drivers side, I'm replacing them both! Anxious to see what the media blast will reveal!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Mar 21 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

Update?
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 21 2014, 05:45 PM
Post #17

Well,I have been slammed stripping the car down getting ready for media blasting and primer! I'm trying to get done stripping everything off so I can take it early next week. Once it has been media blasted and primed, then it will go have the floor pans welded in and the rust repaired before heading to Knoxville for the new engine build!

I was thinking while I have it in this stage, should I go ahead and replace the struts, calipers and rotors? The car hasn't run in 16 years, so I'm sure it needs them. If so, what struts have you guys had good luck with, there's so much money going into everything else, thinking of just doing the KYB (OEM) replacements.

Also, while I'm doing this, should I do the 5 lug conversion?
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Mar 21 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

I have heard kyb's referred to as "kill your backs" they may be the cheapest but I like the bilsteins in my dd. not too harsh a ride. for track and autocross there are others on here that know better than I.
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 21 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #19

Also, finally looked...My car has only 88,000 original miles, not too bad for a 71.
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Mar 21 2014, 06:15 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,179

Keep at it. I can't wait to see the media blasted results. I would love to get mine blasted some day.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 02:34 AM