Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Build Begins 71 1.7, Some question...
Mblizzard
post Apr 3 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

It is going to take a lot of paint to make a 914 look like that!

You will be unique.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 3 2014, 04:28 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 17,033

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 3 2014, 02:52 PM) *

It is going to take a lot of paint to make a 914 look like that!

You will be unique.

I have been going back and forth on color, then I saw this and my mind was made up!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 3 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #43

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

there is a local guy with a lambo in that color. Cant miss it on the road, all the other cars fade into the background.
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 3 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #44

OK, my transmissions are on their way to Dr. Evil for rebuilding!
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 3 2014, 06:15 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 3 2014, 06:33 PM) *

there is a local guy with a lambo in that color. Cant miss it on the road, all the other cars fade into the background.

My only reference was this picture until yesterday I was driving thru St. Louis and passed the Lambo dealership! So I pulled in and took a look in person up close, there's no other color to consider!
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Apr 3 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 16,395
Region Association: None

Good choice...take some time to incorporate the black to blend the chopped 914 lines into the sloped look of the Lambo using that color...old and new nicely intergrated make a resto mod nice
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 3 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Apr 3 2014, 07:46 PM) *

Good choice...take some time to incorporate the black to blend the chopped 914 lines into the sloped look of the Lambo using that color...old and new nicely intergrated make a resto mod nice

The plan is to do the rocker panels, bumpers, top and wheels in black with the calipers and other parts powder coated in this Verde green!
+Quote Post
stugray
post Apr 3 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I have been a fan of the green on the 914 forever.

I think I want to go with the porsche viper green if I want a more classic solid color.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10819-1396574083.1.jpg)

If I go with a more metallic, I will use chevy synergy green.:

[img][/img]

As for the 'prep for media blast in one weekend'... you are either a boss in the disassembly dept. or you arent planning on stripping the whole car!

I can drop an engine in about an hour, but stripping a tub bare would take me days.
Are you just blasting the exterior and keeping the interior intact?
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Apr 3 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 16,395

My initial thought is that is a little to linear...vertical black while harder to intergrate would help there...but I realize that its gotta light your fire not mine
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 3 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 3 2014, 07:59 PM) *

I have been a fan of the green on the 914 forever.

I think I want to go with the porsche viper green if I want a more classic solid color.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10819-1396574083.1.jpg)

If I go with a more metallic, I will use chevy synergy green.:

[img][/img]

As for the 'prep for media blast in one weekend'... you are either a boss in the disassembly dept. or you arent planning on stripping the whole car!

I can drop an engine in about an hour, but stripping a tub bare would take me days.
Are you just blasting the exterior and keeping the interior intact?

That is a GREAT color as well! I have been stripping the car for about a month now, pulling the engine, gas tank and AC this weekend and then it's ready to go to blast!
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Apr 4 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Heading to Nashville to drop that engine to move the build along and hang with some other 914 idiots!

See you guys soon!
+Quote Post
dan_the _body_guy
post Apr 4 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 17,185

if you want the best quality job and a car that will last for a long time to come. get it on a rotisserie its worth the cost and im sure a member on this site will be happy to take it off your hands when youre finished with it. then get it completely stripped down and flipped over and remove all the seam sealer before you have it sent off for blasting. somebody posted about faulty seam sealer and they are entirely correct the blaster wont remove it and theres bound to be some rust under it after 40 plus years just itching to come out in your nice fresh paint job. after blasting wipe it down with a metal cleaner to remove any oils that will be left from people handling it and give the entire car a coat of "EPOXY PRIMER" to seal the metal do all your repairs over the epoxy.
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 5 2014, 01:21 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(dan_the _body_guy @ Apr 4 2014, 10:21 PM) *

if you want the best quality job and a car that will last for a long time to come. get it on a rotisserie its worth the cost and im sure a member on this site will be happy to take it off your hands when youre finished with it. then get it completely stripped down and flipped over and remove all the seam sealer before you have it sent off for blasting. somebody posted about faulty seam sealer and they are entirely correct the blaster wont remove it and theres bound to be some rust under it after 40 plus years just itching to come out in your nice fresh paint job. after blasting wipe it down with a metal cleaner to remove any oils that will be left from people handling it and give the entire car a coat of "EPOXY PRIMER" to seal the metal do all your repairs over the epoxy.

Great advice, thank you!! Just about have it totally stripped, by then end of the weekend it will be! The company that is doing the media blast is Restoration Media Blasting just outside of Nashville. They have a rotisserie there to do exactly what you suggested to make sure they get EVERYTHING! Once they are done with the blasting they are gonna do the epoxy primer just as you suggested!
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 5 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #54

What an awesome day! With Mike and Clark's help (They did pretty much everything) we managed to get the car ready for media blasting and we pulled the motor! There's no way I could have done it without the help from awesome fellow TN 914World members! AS a nube at this I really learned a lot. Take a look at some pics from the day:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 5 2014, 08:10 PM
Post #55

What an awesome day working on the build! A HUGE THANKS to my fellow TN World members Mike and Clark (They did most all of the heavy lifting and hard work) for coming over and helping me get the engine pulled and getting the car stripped and ready for media blasting next week! I learned a lot today and couldn't have done it without them! Take a look at some pics form the day:

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Apr 5 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(Sfreeman615 @ Apr 5 2014, 09:10 PM) *

What an awesome day working on the build! A HUGE THANKS to my fellow TN World members Mike and Clark (They did most all of the heavy lifting and hard work) for coming over and helping me get the engine pulled and getting the car stripped and ready for media blasting next week! I learned a lot today and couldn't have done it without them!

You are more than welcome. Got to drive my 914, and strip one down, all around great day.

Why is this stuff so damn fun? Looking forward to the re-assembly.
+Quote Post
dan_the _body_guy
post Apr 5 2014, 09:47 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 17,185

QUOTE(Sfreeman615 @ Apr 5 2014, 03:21 AM) *

QUOTE(dan_the _body_guy @ Apr 4 2014, 10:21 PM) *

Great advice, thank you!! Just about have it totally stripped, by then end of the weekend it will be! The company that is doing the media blast is Restoration Media Blasting just outside of Nashville. They have a rotisserie there to do exactly what you suggested to make sure they get EVERYTHING! Once they are done with the blasting they are gonna do the epoxy primer just as you suggested!

check with the paint supplier for the tech sheets on the epoxy primer you use they have an adhesive built into the epoxy to help the filler and sandable primer bond to it but it only gives you a 2-3 day window that you can cover over it. you will want to scuff a panel at a time respray and do body work then cover and move to next panel. i know it sounds like a pain in the ass but the benefits are worth the extra effort. looks like you're really digging into this build hope to see pics of the progress and a finished product soon
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 6 2014, 12:40 PM
Post #58

Just ordered the new floor pans from Restoration Design!
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Apr 7 2014, 04:45 PM
Post #59

Just ordered parts for the new engine from DRD Racing. Parts list includes:

-DRD L6 Racing Heads
Based of a new AMC head casting, oval exhaust ports., DRD L6 Type 4 head is for a hot street car / track / off road car. Power output, depending on your combo. CNC ported ,44mm x 38mm, multi angle job. New DRD SS 44X38mm valves, dual springs, hd valve guides, all hardware included. This CNC L6 port combo retains bottom end torque, with excellent mid-range and high-end pull to 6500 rpms. 94mm standard bore size. These heads have standard 4 bolt intake flanges, and standard type 4 spark plug locations. Sold as pair of 2 heads. These heads are built to order.

-5DRD Type 4 , 2316CC stroker parts kit
*New Forged 4340 Type 4, 80mm crankshaft, dynamic balanced by DRD and inspected by DRD.
*1 set of 4 ,Keith Black, 96mm Stoker pistons, with ring kit, and 22mm pistons pins, clips.Piston set Balanced by DRD.
*1 set of 4 DRD 96mm Cast iron cylinders, Heat treated and nirtadied, better quality than stock OEM cylinder.
*1 Set of 4 DRD H Beam 5.352 Rods,22mm pin, ARP2000 bolts, Balanced by DRD
*1set of Silver Line steel backed Type 4 main bearings.
*1 Set of rod bearings.

-Web Cam type4 86 Camshaft
.423 lift at valve, 270 advertized duration, 234 duration@.050 lift, to be used with stock rocker. Good all around street cam, provides a wide range of power on 2.0 and larger platforms. To be used with dual carbs and nice exhaust system.

+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Apr 7 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Steve I called and gave them the correct shipping address here in Knoxville.

Those are some killer parts. I guess we have to put the car back together now!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 11:33 PM