Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> All my weirdness:, Temp problem? Gauge problem? Wiring problem?
Mike Sanford
post Mar 11 2014, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,935
Region Association: Southwest Region

This is long, but I'm trying to get all my car's issues in.

I have a 74 1.8, l-jet. Owned for about a year and a half. Aftermarket oil cooler with an electric fan on it in the rear. Petronix ignitor and MSD box installed since I bought the car. A few unsorted problems I'm trying to work out, don't know if they're all related.

Voltmeter and temperature gauge in what I think the PO said was an aftermarket center console.

I live in the middle of a very hot town, many of my trips are less than 2 miles, lots of stoplights. Longest trip I've made in this car is 14 miles.

In October my ECU went out. Replaced with another used ECU. The following problems have happened with both ECU's, and before and after installing the Petronix and the MSD.

Sometimes, and this will happen for weeks on end, the temperature gauge will climb to the redline within the space of a 4 mile drive. Doesn't seem dependent on ambient temperature. My solution so far when the car has been acting like this, take the Honda if I'm going more than 4 miles.

Sometimes, and this has occurred for periods of up to two months, the temperature gauge will seem normal.

Sometimes, during periods of time when the car is reading hot, and this has only happened four or five times, the temperature gauge will spike to the redline within a half mile of driving. If I turn off the key, and turn it back on, it will return to what seems like a normal reading.

Sometimes, also during periods of time when the car is reading hot, the temperature gauge will bounce up and down if my turn signal is on.

During the periods of time when the car is not reading hot, I've had trouble with what felt like fuel starvation randomly, stalling or almost stalling.

Idle is pretty random, no matter what I set the idle at. 800 rpm one stop light, 1700 the next.

Car just entered another phase of "reading" hot this weekend. Went out and bought an infrared thermometer. Drove it long enough to intentionally bring the gauge into the red. Got readings of 280-290F at the cylinder head, aiming as close as I could to the spark plugs. Readings of 180F off of the tuna can. From what I can gather, this is a fairly inaccurate way to gather temperatures. But these also don't seem like problematic temperatures. I need to drive the car to emissions this week, which is farther than my 4 mile range.

I'll wait for the wisdom of the World.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Mike Sanford   All my weirdness:   Mar 11 2014, 09:52 PM
timothy_nd28   I don't care for the infrared thermometers. M...   Mar 11 2014, 10:18 PM
Mike Sanford   Are you in town yet? How is the work going? Its a...   Mar 11 2014, 10:29 PM
timothy_nd28   I'm in Tucson this Friday. Engine dropping is...   Mar 11 2014, 10:39 PM
The Cabinetmaker   Sounds like the wire from the sender is intermitan...   Mar 12 2014, 05:25 AM
Mike Sanford   Tim- I'll look into the ebay kit. My search ...   Mar 12 2014, 07:31 AM
timothy_nd28   When they first came out, I purchased one thinking...   Mar 12 2014, 07:40 AM
Mike Sanford   Just about to boil some water, and point it at the...   Mar 12 2014, 07:57 AM
Mike Sanford   Here's my boiling water experiment results: I...   Mar 12 2014, 08:43 AM
bdstone914   Inspect the wire from the sender. It probably has ...   Mar 12 2014, 10:59 AM
Black22   Won't the Mainley 912 version work? It's a...   Mar 12 2014, 11:50 AM
Mike Sanford   Drove the 9 miles to get the car emmissioned, pass...   Mar 12 2014, 12:26 PM
Java2570   The Mainely dipstick for the 912 is actually a 356...   Mar 12 2014, 12:32 PM
timothy_nd28   You mind posting the emission results? I will be ...   Mar 12 2014, 12:40 PM
76-914   To all using IR thermometers. Read the directions ...   Mar 12 2014, 01:13 PM
Mike Sanford   This year they only did a idle test. Last year th...   Mar 12 2014, 01:37 PM
timothy_nd28   That's the plan. :blink:   Mar 12 2014, 01:53 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:32 AM