Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Purchase Decision Help Please..., Have to make a decision on 3 914s
CptTripps
post Jan 9 2005, 07:49 AM
Post #1

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Gang,

I'm looking for advise. (If this is the wrong place, please move it!)

I'm going to be buying a 'teener' this week, and have a few to pick from. I'm not looking to buy junk, but at the same time, I only have limited funds available. Here are the cars I've narrowed it down to.

Car #1 - Yellow 1973 2.0 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4516851747&rd=1

Car #2 - Orange 1973 2.0 - http://autoatlanta.com/carsales/914/473292...4732922616.html

Car #3 - Yellow 1975 2.0 - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ST&f=20&t=22457

I like #1 because he's done a lot to it. I've also got about 40 additional pics of it that he's sent. I'm thinking this would be the least expensive of the three. (I'm guessing I could get it for less than $4,000)

Car #2 is from Automobile Atlanta and they have a great reputation. (From what I understand.) It needs painted, but from what the guys there tell me, it's a solid car, and that's ALL it needs. This one however, is the most expensive of the three. But I'm thinking that $5,000 spent here would be well worth it for a rust-free and solid 73. Am I right??

Car #3 is a little different. It's not the cheapest, or most expensive, not the best shape, or the worst. It's a 75 2.0 that has a solid body, the original FI. I talked to the owner for a while and don't have any 'feelings' that I'm going to be disappointed if I buy it.

I'm in Cleveland Ohio and it's snowing like hell here now. I really can't fly somewhere, and drive it home, so I'm going to have to buy one of these without seeing it, then have it shipped here.

Help! =) (There are worse things to need help with!)

Thanks!

-Doug
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jan 9 2005, 08:03 AM
Post #2

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

First, no matter which car you decide on, you owe it to yourself to spend some time and a couple of hundred bucks to fly out to see it before you make the deal.

Second, before you go look ask for someone here to go take a look at it before you fly out. Many of us will do it just for the opportunity to inspect a car if it is nearby. Most people will also take some pics of the car that the owner may not have provided. (hell hole, jack points, longs, etc. )

That said, I'd go with #3. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 9 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Get someone local to the cars to go do a PPI on it. The one from AA in my opinion is only worth half of what they are asking. Looks more like there isnt a place on it without a dent in it. The first one is not too bad, I am curious why he doesnt show a picture of the top of the engine. Is it really a 2 liter? Again, I would have someone local take a look at the cars for you. That is the best advice I could give you. Good luck.
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Jan 9 2005, 08:10 AM
Post #4

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Also look on thesamba.com they have listing for 914's in their classified. And welcome to the club (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) with Scott.
+Quote Post
mack914
post Jan 9 2005, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,306

From just the pictures, #3. You sound like you are in a hurry, slow down, enjoy your search. I would try to locate a car from a warmer climate and then go and either check it out yourself or have someone from this club, in that area, check it out.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 9 2005, 08:15 AM
Post #6

Here's a pic of the engine for #1. My thoughts on #2 were that I'd need to re-paint it anyways so the paintjob he 'started' wouldn't affect my decision. I'm waiting on more pics before I get too serious on it. #1 is only about 3.5hrs north of me, so I could spend a day and take a look at it if I needed to.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 9 2005, 08:18 AM
Post #7

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Doug, first of all there are folks here who would argue the point of AA's "good" reputation, but I have no first hand knowledge.

Second, if 5K is in your budget, I would look a little farther.

I could not give you an opinion on any of the three without someone I trust to give them a good going over. The owner of the first car seems to be straight forward, but I'm a cynic.

Good luck, and welcome to the insanity.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 9 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #8

Here is another pic of the batt-side long on #1. It it too far gone, or is that about normal?

I'm not in a hurry, I've been searching for a few months, but this is the first time I'v had the following...

#1 - permission from the wife

#2 - a 30th birthday

#3 - see #1

I found the PERFECT car, but it's $12,000 and I just can't swing it...and I won't be able to anytime soon.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 9 2005, 08:23 AM
Post #9

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well, in my opinion, that long doesnt look that bad at all. I have repaired lots worse.
+Quote Post
nickg
post Jan 9 2005, 08:37 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,652

well do you want this as a daily ride? i personally would reccomend a car with fuel injection. reason is they are just nicer to drive, they run smoother etc.....i know a lot of guys use carbs, but consider that where you are , you don't have sunny california weather, it rains, snows and gets cold where you are. . oh, that yellow car is nice, but i think tod said it needed firewall work...the picture of the rail you posted is what they should look like(and often they are really rusted, the car in that picture was really good) I would look around in california, i bought my 76 in san diego for 3800. delivered to me in nj. they are quite a lot easier to find in cali than you'd think. they are generally pretty reasonable. the 73/74 cars will cost more than 75/76 cars but be open to those later cars, they can be a bargain.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Jan 9 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #11

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

In the Midwest, that long is pristine, and should be put in a museum. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

Most of us recommend that you never rush into a 914 purchase. With that caviat out of the way, get someone here to do a PPI on #3 for you, as it's probably the best of the lot.

Car #1 was well loved at one point, but someone lost that lovin feeling along the way. There are pretty strong indicators of some deferred or cost-cutting maintenance (brakes ineffective/inop, horn inop, lights inop, scratches/scrapes with no touchup paint).

Car #2 needs a major paint job, there's no telling what might be hidden under that "original paint", and is way overpriced. I believe that Greg said that AA does consignment sales on their website, so they may not be the actual seller. No pictures of the important areas (hell hole, suspension console, longs, trucks, etc).

-Lawrence
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jan 9 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #12

Canadian Member

Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

A friend that does alot of restoration (about 2 cars/year) gave me this great advice.
Always buy the best possible car that you can afford.....and then make it better. Buying junk leaves you with more work, headaches, and in the end most people only bring it up to the condition that the "best one" they were looking at anyway.
Figure out what your top dollar is and search.
Try this site out. Collector Car
They currently have 70 914's listed as for sale. (even a couple from OH)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 9 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (tracks914 @ Jan 9 2005, 06:56 AM)
Try this site out. Collector Car
They currently have 70 914's listed as for sale. (even a couple from OH)

BINGO!

This changes everything...Here's what I found. This guy rebuilds 914s (one or two a year) when he finds them.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.co.../2/76774522.htm

Blueprinted 1967cc engine from Stevens Machine
96mm big-bore
Light flywheel
254X410 cam
Screamer kit
HO oil pump
Delorto Carbs
Jacobs Electronics
AA SS Exaust
Koni Shocks
New breaks/calipers/tires.

He replaced/repaired the rust last year when he was restoring it. Has about 500mi on the new engine. Comes with the old engine/trans.

...And he's about 20min away, and will store it for the rest of the winter for me.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I'll take pics and report back when I see what it's all about.

Thanks for the GREAT tip tracks914!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 9 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #14

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Don't fall to much in love with that engine, MSHP (Stevens Machine) has a bad rep and is no longer in biz.
It's a 1.8 that's bored out and the wrong dizzy.

5k should get you a nice base teener, don't be in a rush, check it out carefully.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 9 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #15

I figured as much. But I'm more looking forward to a good base car. My thinking was that for $4,000, I'd be getting a nice solid car that, if needed, I could drop a newer 2.0 into. If I DO buy this car, I'll also get the original 1.7 (running) with the FI and such. As long as the body is solid, I'm not TOO worried about having to drop a new engine into it. That'd be in the plans anyways.

I keep having people tell me not to rush into anything, and I'm not. I'm new to this board, but not 914s. I've spent the last few years looking at, and considering teeners. I'm not going to let myself blow a bunch of money. I *DO* appreciate everyone opinions/concern. I promise not to do anything without consulting the 'board' first. =)

I got a few exterior pics of the car I'm looking at tomorrow. Take a look...

http://www.hardman.org/pix/914/side_1.jpg
http://www.hardman.org/pix/914/side_2.jpg
http://www.hardman.org/pix/914/side_3.jpg
http://www.hardman.org/pix/914/side_4.jpg

These were taken when he got it in 98. Says he's only put about 500-1000 miles on it since, and only in the summer. He owns a storage facility, so that's where he keeps the cars when he's not driving them. (Also has a sixer, and a 75 that his wife drives)

I'll keep you all posted.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 10 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #16

Just got back from looking at the yellow 74 here in Ohio. Here are the pics...

http://www.hardman.org/pix/73_914/73_914.html

I'm not 'in love' with it, and I want to be that way before I buy another teener. I think this would be a good car if I had more of a desire to do some structural work. So much for solid rockers...

Thoughts???
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 10 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #17

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

This one that was just posted in our classifieds looks like it might be worth checking out.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jan 10 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #18

Canadian Member

It doesn't look that bad from the pictures. It all depends on what you can get it for. Buying something from California would be idea but the cost to get it home sometimes makes it tough to buy. Mine was in much worse shape than that one, and I wasn't in love with it either, but it was only 4 hours away and was still on the road, so I bought it and have no regrets since.

QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Jan 10 2005, 02:29 PM)
This one that was just posted in our classifieds looks like it might be worth checking out.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
Looks OK and you could justify a trip to Florida just to check it out. All works out and you could drive it home. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 10 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #19

I was a little worried by the fact that I stuck my finger through the long inder the pass-side post.

Are you saying it's not that bad of a repair?

I was thinking if I could get it for $3,500 it'd be worth it.
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jan 10 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #20

Canadian Member

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jan 10 2005, 04:12 PM)
Are you saying it's not that bad of a repair?

I was thinking if I could get it for $3,500 it'd be worth it.

It depends.........are you a vey good welder? If you're not do you have a friend that is? It's an easy fix if you can do a little sheet metal work and welding. Like anything else on these cars, it just takes time and money. (and few of these (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) )
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:14 AM