Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Purchase Decision Help Please..., Have to make a decision on 3 914s
CptTripps
post Jan 10 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #21

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Decent enough I guess...I fabricated my fence this summer and taught myself how to weld.

http://www.hardman.org/pix/fencing/fencing.html

I think I'll offer him $3,500 and see if that flies. Mechanics on the car were perfect. From sitting for 5mos, it started after about 2sec, and only sputtered a hair. Fired up the subsequent 5-6 times in .05sec. The doors didn't seem to close right...wether or not I was inside the car or out. Could be they just need lubricated? (turning the locks by hand was hard, but then again, it was 30-degrees today.

I'll let you all know what happens....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 10 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #22

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jan 10 2005, 04:12 PM)
I was a little worried by the fact that I stuck my finger through the long inder the pass-side post.

Are you saying it's not that bad of a repair?

I was thinking if I could get it for $3,500 it'd be worth it.

If you stuck your finger through it, then it sure aint worth 3500. Unless I am missing something, that cars rust is much worse than it looks. If I could put my finger through any part of a car besides an open window, I wouldnt touch it.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jan 10 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

don't spend that much money on a car with rust, please. 914 prices are out of control as it is. I would think about getting a west coast car shipped out ($800?). it will be more than worth it in the long run.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 10 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #24

I agree...I think I'm going to hold-off.

I've talked to the guy in Rockford, MI (#1 from earlier) and I think that sounds like a MUCH better car. I'll see what I can come up with...
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jan 10 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #25

give yourself at least a few months to look. I see you said you wanted to buy a 914 "this week". worst idea ever! these cars can be a nightmare if you get the wrong one, you will hate it. I have been looking every day for 2 years now and still nothing.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 10 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #26

I've been looking for a long time too, I just got the 'OK' this week. (I turn 30 on Monday, so I was going to make it a birthday present.)

I'm a patient man...I'll get the right car.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jan 10 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

See if you can import a car from California, Arizona, etc. Somewhere it doesn't rain much or snow. I think you will be much more satisfied because it won't be rusted to pieces. Find someone in your area that can show you the areas to look for rust. I think everyone in the 914 community knows someone who got screwed on a 914 because of hidden rust or other issues.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 10 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #28

I know where to look for the rust. I've owned 914s in the past. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right one...

I'll get there...
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jan 10 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #29

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

December/January is the worst month to buy a classic car. A lot more inventory will be on the market in the spring.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 10 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #30

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Cpt Tripps is New Jersey to far away for you to look at a 914?? I know of a west coast car that has been there for about 12 months.
74 2.0

Beautiful 1974 Porsche 914 with original color saturn yellow. This was a west coast car (from Washington State) it's entire life until I purchased it last year from the 2nd owner and had it shipped to New Jersey. The body is very solid and straight. Resprayed it's original color about 5 years ago it still shines nice, the body has no dents, no bondo, has never been in an accident and there is no structural rust. Even the original battery tray is solid (which is rare). The engine was rebuilt about 3 years ago and upgraded from 1.8 to a 2.0 w/ hydraulic lifters (no more valve adjustments) and retains it's original fuel injection. The engine has been tuned up and the car fully serviced by a local porsche mechanic and runs strong. Upgraded with electronic ignition & Bosch blue coil, it starts up instantly. Exhaust is the aftermarket Birch system (the best) and it has the desireable stainless steel heat exchangers. The 5 speed transmission shifts well. The 4 wheel disc brakes work well. Instruments all work well. Wheels are original 2.0 15" fuchs alloys and the tires have good tread on them. Rear shocks are adjustable Koni's, fronts are Boge. Nardi steering wheel. The car steers and handles superbly. Includes a new MP3 CD Stereo w/ 4 speakers. The 914 is one of the easiest and most fun Porsche's to drive fast, especially with the top off on a warm day.

Vehicle Condition

This is a car I wouldn't hesitate to drive across country tomorrow. It's been well maintained and is very reliable. The body is very solid and presentable, but there are some cosmetic issues. There is a scratch on the front of the hood with some paint chipped (see picture), the font bumper is dented in a little from a light hit. The car did not come with fog lights from the factory, but I have a set and will include them with the car. The parking brake handle was broken when I got the car (common), it just needs a new handle to fix. The body has no structural rust, but there are some areas of cosmetic rust (bubbles in the paint in the usual spots), including some under the rear trunklid. Mechanically the car is excellent. The engine does leak a little oil, nothing serious. Everything electrically works, should pass state inspection no problem. The car does not leak any water when it rains. The glass and seals are all good. The interior is original, but showing typical wear, small cracks in the seat (see pictures) and dash. Overall this is a very nice 914, much nicer than average and really turns heads with it's classic yellow paint.
If you are at all interested PM me.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 11 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #31

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

What picture Craig, I dont see any pictures at all. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 11 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #32

ok, I'm going to bug everyone again. If anyone is anywhere CLOSE to Rockford Mighigan, I may need to pay someone to do a PPI for me.

Here are all the pics of the car that I have...This is #1 from the first post.

http://www.hardman.org/pix/73_914_2/73_914_2.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4516851747

Thoughts????
(Please no more coomments about me 'rushing things' I'm just looking for opinions.)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jan 11 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #33

sounds like a repaired rust bucket.

"Right rear suspension console under battery was professionally replaced years ago"

"Looks decent from 50 feet away but could use new paint"

LOL at that last one. 50ft!?

I wouldn't rush it.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 11 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #34

Yeah, and normally, I'd shy away, but the long looks real good.

ok, back to the hunt....
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jan 11 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #35

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

you're rushing into it!!

lol... j/k

from the photos, it would appear that the passenger side long/jackpoint is okay, but that is the only clue that we have as to rust (no, i don't take the sellers word for anything). no close up shots of the hell hole or bottom of the trunks, floorboards, etc. so it's a risk.

also, from the photos the paint looks better than "50 ft", so i'd beware if the pictures belie how the car currently looks.

that said, looks to be a decent value for $3.5k. set aside another $1.5-2k to get it totally set up (brakes, electrical, and all the goodies that you can't forsee).

p.s. re. the car here: http://www.hardman.org/pix/73_914/73_914.html -- pass.
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Jan 11 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jan 10 2005, 05:12 PM)
I was a little worried by the fact that I stuck my finger through the long inder the pass-side post.

Are you saying it's not that bad of a repair?

Doug,

You might want to take a look at this thread to see wait is involved in an extensive repair job.

hell hole repair

I don't know what Michelko's welding skills were when he started but he has done a great repair.

-Jeff
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 11 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #37

Yeah, I was a bit dissapointed in that car. (with the stripe)

I AM going to fly out to look at the '#1 car' He sent mer closeups of the inside of the 'hell hole' and it looks like a lot of preventative maint was done to ensure it wouldn't get bad. The underside of the longs look perfect. I was planning on re-painting anything I got, so that part doesn't bother me all that much. My welding skills are fairly good, so that part doesn't bother me either.

I've got a good feeling about this one, but we'll see this weekend when I get out there...I got a oundTrip flight for $100, so it's not that bad. Even if I don't buy, It'll be about the same as hiring a shop to look it over and I'll KNOW what the car is like.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 12 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #38

Last night I found a friend that was willing to drive from Detroit to Rockford to check out the "#1 car". He reported back a couple of hours ago, and I struck a deal on the car. Soooo....I'm now the owner of a 73 2.0. =)

The car-transport company is picking it up in the morning, and I'll have it by 5:00. I'll be sure to post pics, and impressions.

A BIG thanks for everyone's help...
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jan 12 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 1,536

congrats!...now start making plans to come to the midwest classic and the fall foilage classic. You'll see alot of great midwestern (and a few from farther away) teeners and even greater people!
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 13 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #40

Car arrived tonight...I did VERY well...This thing REALLY excedes what I was expecting!

Body and structure are VERY solid. Off the bat, I'm going to need to put on the re-built rear calipers, and do the 930 tierod conversion and BMW front calipers.

Then I can spend the rest of the winter working on the Interior (Brown doesn't do it for me) and fix all the bubbles/chips on the paint. I'll have it re-painted in early March, and I should have a rockin' car by April!

Thanks to everyone for the advise...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:15 AM