Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Willow Green '71 build, this is my baby
IanS
post Mar 16 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,190
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm finally getting some forward progress on my '71 build project so I thought I'd start posting for real instead of lurking and reading for a couple years. My first 914 is a '72 that I thought was going to be my first running 914 but it had been in a right rear collision and it ended up having some extensive wrinkling in the longitudinals as a result. I put that on hold while I was looking for a suitable donor body, and I learned a lot while taking it apart. I still have the car sitting mostly disassembled.

I went to a local 911 indy repair shop to see if he knew any 914 people and there she was. It was love at first sight...a '71 in willow green. She had some rust in the usual places but had been sitting in a shop since '84 (that's when the window and license plate stickers stopped) and other than being dusty and in need of TLC you could tell she was in good shape. The engine and transmission were already out of the car too. I negotiated a deal for yet another non-running 914 and they even loaded her on a trailer and delivered to my shop!

Here she is after a quick cleaning with a sponge and bucket - some faded paint and chips but you can see massive potential for restoration to glory
Attached Image
Attached Image

Fast forward 2 years (getting finances in order, slowly disassembling on the weekends). Willow has been on jackstands and getting completely disassembled for restoration. The odometer read 91412 miles (no kidding 914xx miles) but since she sat so long inside a lot of the parts were in really good shape.
I just bought a super-fancy rotisserie that I hope to use many times on many cars and I should get her all bolted up and hauled off to a media blaster and shop to do the body work and paint parts in the next couple weeks. The rest I intend to do myself. This has been the most fun and has made me the most obsessive I've ever been. I appreciate this board and all of the knowledge on here so much.

Here are a couple of choice shots, mostly from initial disassembly.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Previous owner moved the battery to the front trunk, I'm moving it back here after the hell hole repair is done. At least they sprayed it down with the right stuff to try and prevent more rust.
Attached Image
Finally here's Willow this week with my John Deere green rotisserie and some of Chris Foley's chassis braces. I should be getting adapter brackets and mounting those up this coming week.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Mar 16 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #2

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Nice ride. Your hell hole looks like mine.
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Mar 16 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #3

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

don't sell off those seats; unless, you don't fit them. They appear to have the makings of a Koenigs or Scheel seats beneath that yellow fabric
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Mar 16 2014, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

Cool! Looks good! Green is the fastest color, despite what you may read on here.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 17 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Love Willow Green! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 18 2014, 03:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(IanS @ Mar 16 2014, 11:06 PM) *

I'm finally getting some forward progress on my '71 build project so I thought I'd start posting for real instead of lurking and reading for a couple years. My first 914 is a '72 that I thought was going to be my first running 914 but it had been in a right rear collision and it ended up having some extensive wrinkling in the longitudinals as a result. I put that on hold while I was looking for a suitable donor body, and I learned a lot while taking it apart. I still have the car sitting mostly disassembled.

I went to a local 911 indy repair shop to see if he knew any 914 people and there she was. It was love at first sight...a '71 in willow green. She had some rust in the usual places but had been sitting in a shop since '84 (that's when the window and license plate stickers stopped) and other than being dusty and in need of TLC you could tell she was in good shape. The engine and transmission were already out of the car too. I negotiated a deal for yet another non-running 914 and they even loaded her on a trailer and delivered to my shop!

Here she is after a quick cleaning with a sponge and bucket - some faded paint and chips but you can see massive potential for restoration to glory

Attached Image
Attached Image

Fast forward 2 years (getting finances in order, slowly disassembling on the weekends). Willow has been on jackstands and getting completely disassembled for restoration. The odometer read 91412 miles (no kidding 914xx miles) but since she sat so long inside a lot of the parts were in really good shape.
I just bought a super-fancy rotisserie that I hope to use many times on many cars and I should get her all bolted up and hauled off to a media blaster and shop to do the body work and paint parts in the next couple weeks. The rest I intend to do myself. This has been the most fun and has made me the most obsessive I've ever been. I appreciate this board and all of the knowledge on here so much.

Here are a couple of choice shots, mostly from initial disassembly.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Previous owner moved the battery to the front trunk, I'm moving it back here after the hell hole repair is done. At least they sprayed it down with the right stuff to try and prevent more rust.
Attached Image
Finally here's Willow this week with my John Deere green rotisserie and some of Chris Foley's chassis braces. I should be getting adapter brackets and mounting those up this coming week.
Attached Image

OT but does your car have a square bottom rear bumper ?
( does the license plate panel have square outer corners or rounded outer corners ?) Please see discussion of "real 6 rear bumpers" . What is the build date of your car ?
Any/all info is appreciated
Nice car, love the Willow Green
+Quote Post
IanS
post Mar 20 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #7

My car was built in 7/71.
I don't think it has the square rear bumper, here are some pics I took today - it doesn't look as square as the ones I've seen on here.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 21 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Yellow is faster than green. By a long shot.

Cars on jackstands (like mine) are all slow.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Mar 21 2014, 04:07 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,549

Very nice find! Willow Green is an awesome color. I have a '72 that's Irish Green that I'm working on. These are my two favorite greens for 914's.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 21 2014, 06:38 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looks like a pretty decent shell to start with. That rotisserie will be invaluable for your restoration - smart move.

Good luck and keep the pics rolling in! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 21 2014, 06:47 AM
Post #11

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

That is definitely the later rear bumper. My car is a late '71 build and has the same rear bumper.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 21 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #12

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Any green is good with me and yours is sweet. However, you just reminded me how much I like JD green and they're building a Tractor Supply down the road from me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IanS
post Apr 20 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #13

Got the car media blasted Friday, still cleaning it up. As has been said many times before - that media gets everywhere. But man does it look neat in steel color again!

before:
Attached Image
during:

Attached Image

Attached Image

after:

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Apr 20 2014, 02:50 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,407

Your car looks like in great shape, nice job of media blasting keeps the pictures coming will keep watching your progress. John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Apr 20 2014, 03:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,549

So awesome! I wish I could do this to mine!
+Quote Post
914work
post Apr 21 2014, 08:46 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,762

be careful of what you wish for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:59 PM