Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Willow Green '71 build, this is my baby
IanS
post Mar 16 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,190
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm finally getting some forward progress on my '71 build project so I thought I'd start posting for real instead of lurking and reading for a couple years. My first 914 is a '72 that I thought was going to be my first running 914 but it had been in a right rear collision and it ended up having some extensive wrinkling in the longitudinals as a result. I put that on hold while I was looking for a suitable donor body, and I learned a lot while taking it apart. I still have the car sitting mostly disassembled.

I went to a local 911 indy repair shop to see if he knew any 914 people and there she was. It was love at first sight...a '71 in willow green. She had some rust in the usual places but had been sitting in a shop since '84 (that's when the window and license plate stickers stopped) and other than being dusty and in need of TLC you could tell she was in good shape. The engine and transmission were already out of the car too. I negotiated a deal for yet another non-running 914 and they even loaded her on a trailer and delivered to my shop!

Here she is after a quick cleaning with a sponge and bucket - some faded paint and chips but you can see massive potential for restoration to glory
Attached Image
Attached Image

Fast forward 2 years (getting finances in order, slowly disassembling on the weekends). Willow has been on jackstands and getting completely disassembled for restoration. The odometer read 91412 miles (no kidding 914xx miles) but since she sat so long inside a lot of the parts were in really good shape.
I just bought a super-fancy rotisserie that I hope to use many times on many cars and I should get her all bolted up and hauled off to a media blaster and shop to do the body work and paint parts in the next couple weeks. The rest I intend to do myself. This has been the most fun and has made me the most obsessive I've ever been. I appreciate this board and all of the knowledge on here so much.

Here are a couple of choice shots, mostly from initial disassembly.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Previous owner moved the battery to the front trunk, I'm moving it back here after the hell hole repair is done. At least they sprayed it down with the right stuff to try and prevent more rust.
Attached Image
Finally here's Willow this week with my John Deere green rotisserie and some of Chris Foley's chassis braces. I should be getting adapter brackets and mounting those up this coming week.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:14 PM