Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is this tail from?
neo914-6
post Jan 11 2005, 09:17 AM
Post #21

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

Jay,
Following 80's Turbo styling, that tail is suitable for a Chalon. I mounted an AA tail to compliment the slopenose on my V8 914. Too visually extreme for most people but when you convert to V8 you have more "license" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Martin,
I am also interested in your intercooler flow management. I am zeroing in on my new powerplant and it will almost certainly be turbo charged, twin if the stars align correctly. A couple of us are researching rear mounted radiators as well for watercooled engines. Since they are 6's they won't need large capacity rads...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 11 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Rider914 @ Jan 11 2005, 03:54 AM)
Yup, pure rice. I have seen 140 on a gps. I doubt the tail does much more than make the trunk hard to open tho.

just having the headlights up takes 10 km/h off your top speed.
taking the top off is even worse.

you do the math ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 11 2005, 01:11 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

So what are we trying to fix (aero wise) with the spoiler? It is my understanding that the stock 914 has some rear lift at high speeds.....probably not much of a problem for a 4 cyl. street car, but a perhaps a 6, a track car, and a V8 could spell disaster if not properly managed. I have seen track cars with big rear wings; must be a reason for them. Another thing I read and saw photo's of, were vents to exhaust air trapped under the rear and/or engine bay that were cut into the rear tailight panel or the top of the trunk lid. I would think this would be the best first approach. FWIW.

Opinions on how the Turbo tail looks, is purely personal. Yes, a V8 car probably has some "license" for wings 'n things.

Andy
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 11 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (andys @ Jan 11 2005, 11:11 AM)
I have seen track cars with big rear wings;

yes.

i don't have a problem with the (a) wing itself. my comment was about the louvers trapping air *inside* the wing, creating additional drag.
if it hadn't the louvers, the wing would do what it's designed for, create downforce at higher speeds.
right now, it does that + creating a lot of drag, which is bad.

for this to work right, he either needs to close up the louvers (sp?) or create a way for the trapped air to exit (make holes on the back of the wing.

from my understanding, the opening in the wing right now does not serve any purpose other than looks, so having the louvers is not neccessary ...

just my 2 cents,
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 11 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 11 2005, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (andys @ Jan 11 2005, 11:11 AM)
I have seen track cars with big rear wings;

yes.

i don't have a problem with the (a) wing itself. my comment was about the louvers trapping air *inside* the wing, creating additional drag.
if it hadn't the louvers, the wing would do what it's designed for, create downforce at higher speeds.
right now, it does that + creating a lot of drag, which is bad.

for this to work right, he either needs to close up the louvers (sp?) or create a way for the trapped air to exit (make holes on the back of the wing.

from my understanding, the opening in the wing right now does not serve any purpose other than looks, so having the louvers is not neccessary ...

just my 2 cents,

he'd like to make the wing work for cooling.....I'm courious if it would work and how well...I know one 911 V8 guy mounts his radiators in the 930 type wing...would a setup similar work in a 914 if the appropriate holes are cut in the trunk floor???
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 11 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

the 930 (and carrera) 911 wings were designed as an exit for hot air
the air velocity over the wing will suck it out of the engine compartment (on a 911 that is)
930/911 turbo's have the intercooler sitting right underneath them

but I think a 911 has much more air flowing over the face over the spoiler than the same spoiler would have on a 914
The targa hoop of the 914 f's up the airflow pretty good. From windtunnel pics I've seen from the 914, about 2/3's of the rear hood is a low pressure area and only the very last part of the hood gets some pressure again
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jan 11 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Rider914, I'm limited at this time on jpegs --due to needing to finish up scanner to PC (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) . There were a few good pix of the car (trunk open/closed) featured in "Excellence" June '03 issue.
Felix, the air management of the I-cooler setup works so well that you can toast your right hand and freeze the left if you hold the side tanks after a hard drive !
A coolant radiator would need to stand up more--as to not trap air pockets. This will be a design challange, you don't want the car to look like a WEC rallye racer (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
Der Falconater
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 13 2005, 03:21 AM
Post #28

neo life

Member No.: 159

From windtunnel pics I've seen from the 914, about 2/3's of the rear hood is a low pressure area and only the very last part of the hood gets some pressure again

Mike, I'd like to see those...

A coolant radiator would need to stand up more--as to not trap air pockets. This will be a design challange, you don't want the car to look like a WEC rallye racer  

Martin,
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) but it would be nice to reduce, simplify the cooling system and the boxster dual rads aren't too tall. How much R&D did you do to get the I/C's right?
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 13 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

here's the pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jan 15 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Felix, when I did the intercooler in '95, I simply bought the largest Spearco cooler offered 'cause you can't go wrong on the pressure drop (when going too big ) on the cfm. Too small of an intercooler will start scrubbing off boost--which is problematic when trying to fit certain size coolers in tight spaces. Turbonetics bought Spearco 2 years ago and their catalog has real good cfm flow charts for turbos, intercoolers, etc.
I recommend the catalog to DIY's , as it makes calculations real easy (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) !
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 08:09 AM