Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> American Racer Tires, Just ordered a set
Woody
post Mar 26 2014, 06:39 AM
Post #1

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

Can't really spring for a set of Avons right now so I am going to give these a shot. Its a bias slick in 10x23.5x15 with a fancy new AX compound and construction. These guys are trying to break into the AX and roadrace market since Goodyear went away. Unfortunately they don't offer many different sizes so I am stuck with going with a square setup. There is a local guy running them in an XP miata and he is very fast with them. He also runs Avons and said the American Racers are comparable. I will be running these on my 15x8s and 15x10s so the fronts will be a little bit pinched but I think it will work. Best part is shipped they were under $700. I'll let y'all know how they work out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jjackson
post Mar 26 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,246
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 26 2014, 06:39 AM) *

Can't really spring for a set of Avons right now so I am going to give these a shot. Its a bias slick in 10x23.5x15 with a fancy new AX compound and construction. These guys are trying to break into the AX and roadrace market since Goodyear went away. Unfortunately they don't offer many different sizes so I am stuck with going with a square setup. There is a local guy running them in an XP miata and he is very fast with them. He also runs Avons and said the American Racers are comparable. I will be running these on my 15x8s and 15x10s so the fronts will be a little bit pinched but I think it will work. Best part is shipped they were under $700. I'll let y'all know how they work out.

Just ran against Nick this weekend-Seemed like a nice guy- let us know what you think about the new tire. J
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Mar 26 2014, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,507

They make a lot of spec tires for different series. I've always heard they are much slower than other tires, but maybe they have something new.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 26 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(jjackson @ Mar 26 2014, 11:03 AM) *

Just ran against Nick this weekend-Seemed like a nice guy- let us know what you think about the new tire. J

Yup he's a really nice guy. Very friendly and willing to talk about his setup. Was he running the American Racers or the Avons?

QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Mar 26 2014, 11:08 AM) *

They make a lot of spec tires for different series. I've always heard they are much slower than other tires, but maybe they have something new.

Yes, they have a new compound called SC2100 if I remember correctly. I'm skeptical but we will see.
+Quote Post
jjackson
post Mar 26 2014, 10:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,246

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 26 2014, 10:29 AM) *

Yup he's a really nice guy. Very friendly and willing to talk about his setup. Was he running the American Racers or the Avons?

Yes, they have a new compound called SC2100 if I remember correctly. I'm skeptical but we will see.

He was running the american racers-said he liked them.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 26 2014, 10:59 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(jjackson @ Mar 26 2014, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 26 2014, 10:29 AM) *

He was running the american racers-said he liked them.

Was he fast? Comparatively?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 26 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 26 2014, 05:39 AM) *

Wow, the price is right and shipping being included is very attractive.

Did you contact them to ask about their plan for different sizes?

+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 26 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #8

I talked to Joe Henry at Day Motorsports in Texas, they are the distributor for the south. He said they will be coming out with some more sizes hopefully by the summer but couldn't tell me more than that. He was more of a salesman than a tire guru but had a couple of notes on the tires. He could not tell me what alignment settings or air pressure to begin with. He also couldn't tell me what the optimum tire temp for these would be. Problem is when I attempted to email American Racer directly they would forward my emails to Joe. I haven't run bias slicks before so I'll probably start with a degree of negative camber in the front, maybe 1/2 out back. I was running the A6s hot at 22 front and 21 rear. Probably try to shoot for that and see how it does.
+Quote Post
nolift914
post Mar 26 2014, 01:02 PM
Post #9

Autoxer

Member No.: 10,399

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 26 2014, 10:39 AM) *

I talked to Joe Henry at Day Motorsports in Texas, they are the distributor for the south. He said they will be coming out with some more sizes hopefully by the summer but couldn't tell me more than that. He was more of a salesman than a tire guru but had a couple of notes on the tires. He could not tell me what alignment settings or air pressure to begin with. He also couldn't tell me what the optimum tire temp for these would be. Problem is when I attempted to email American Racer directly they would forward my emails to Joe. I haven't run bias slicks before so I'll probably start with a degree of negative camber in the front, maybe 1/2 out back. I was running the A6s hot at 22 front and 21 rear. Probably try to shoot for that and see how it does.

Keep us posted
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 26 2014, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 26 2014, 11:39 AM) *

A few of us have lots of experience with bias ply slicks having run them for years. When you get ready for alignment I'll suggest a couple people for you to call. But in any event bias ply slicks like to be run straight up with very little camber and tow in. This applies to both Goodyear and Avons. As you run them and watch temperatures you'll see exactly what you need to do to get the tires hooked up.

Tell us about their soft compounds.

+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 26 2014, 03:22 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 26 2014, 03:39 PM) *

A few of us have lots of experience with bias ply slicks having run them for years. When you get ready for alignment I'll suggest a couple people for you to call. But in any event bias ply slicks like to be run straight up with very little camber and tow in. This applies to both Goodyear and Avons. As you run them and watch temperatures you'll see exactly what you need to do to get the tires hooked up.

Will do. I only toe in the rear. The front is toed out.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 26 2014, 03:36 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 26 2014, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 26 2014, 03:39 PM) *

Will do. I only toe in the rear. The front is toed out.

Ah, that trick, especially with somewhat extreme settings, has been used by a few SCCA National Champs we know.

+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 29 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #13

After they were mounted they are a touch narrower than the 275 A6s. The fronts are squeezed onto my 8s but they look good.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 29 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #14

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 29 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #15

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 29 2014, 12:21 PM
Post #16

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 29 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #17

I'll see how this works next Sunday.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 29 2014, 03:13 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 29 2014, 11:22 AM) *

I'll see how this works next Sunday.

Attached Image

Aren't those bias ply?

Suggestion: You might consider a duck tail on your rear trunk, even for Autoxing.

You can see the air movement with both here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRo-C0JpVOs...eature=youtu.be

Lots of air being forced under the car, so lots of downforce on the front and the splitter pushed down at the back.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 29 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #19

Yes they are bias ply. That's the minimum amount of camber I could run in the front. On the rear I need to come up with some longer bolts for the shim stack. I'm going to run it with these settings next Sunday and take some temps. If there is too much camber I'll have to get creative.

I'm going to be working on a splitter and a wing here pretty soon.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 7 2014, 08:49 AM
Post #20

I ran them yesterday in the rain. There was very little standing water so I went with the slicks instead of my 888s. First impressions were pretty good although my driving sucked. Turn in is less crisp than with the A6s but it was an easy adjustment. They feel different under braking and I was having a hard time finding the threshold, granted the tire is a bit taller and it was wet out. I didn't find the limit through the slaloms but they would understeer just a bit mid corner before the back end would start to slide. Tire temps never got above 72 degrees with the rain. I started at 20 psi front cold and 19 psi rear cold and gained maybe 1 psi all around. I have another event this coming weekend so hopefully I can provide a better review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX2Urw2U5iQ

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:38 PM