Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speedo help!, Oil going up the cable to speedo
post Jan 10 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,334

New to 914 so need help on this one. My speedo was sluggish and not working correctly so I took it out to have it cleaned/repaired. Was told that a big gob of grease and oil was in the speedo mucking things up. I also noticed that when I drove the car with the speedo out, the speedo cable screw end at the dash was uzzing out black oil. What gives? Is there a breather on the 901 tranny that I don't know about and could be plugged and pressure forcing oil up the path of least resistance, the speedo cable? Or is there a rubber gasket missing at the tranny where cable attaches?? Anyone out there with this experience before? Don't want to put in nice clean repaired speedo and have this continue to happen. I am stumped on this one.
Thanks for the help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 10 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

On the right rear corner of your transmission there is an "angle drive" that changes the speedo output to point to the front of the car. Pull it off and see if there is oil inside the speedo drive. If there is, then pull it and replace it with another one. The seals are internal and NLA.

You will have to get a new cable and angle drive if it was leaking.
+Quote Post
post Jan 10 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,334

Thanks Clay, I will try that. I also noticed that the angled piece out of rear of tranny that points forward seems to be "floating", not securely screwed down. Does this indicate something or ia this the correct application, allowed to move?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 10 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #4

The angle drive wears out and starts to move. It's not really very tight when it's new so it could be worn out. There should be a seal in it to keep oil from getting up the cable.

Just changing the angle drive may help.
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Jan 11 2005, 05:24 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,060

And one would think a little oil would be good for the cable. I would have never thought there would be enough pressuer in the trans to push heavy gear oil up the speedo cable. Damn if you dont learn alot on this board.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 11 2005, 07:29 AM
Post #6

Its not the pressure. The twist in the outside of the cable makes a perfect Archemdes screw. The oil gets in the base of the cable, and the twist acts as a pump to draw it up the cable housing. With that long of a cable, there is a little bit of pressure that pushes it into the speedo.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 08:19 PM