Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Please, Fiberglass Flares-How to????
jwalters
post Jan 10 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #1

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Hi guys. I am moving pretty good on all my rust and bodywork issues--need some info and suggestions.

1.-What is the glue of choice? i.e.: Hysol products, or the regular epoxy stuff?

2. How are ya'll installing these? trimming,,etc....do you grind down and feather edge the edges as installed, or build up glass beyond the bond seam and feather edge that??

I was test fitting mine yesterday, and my left side ones are trimmed along the edges about 1&1/2 inch less of a diameter than my right side ones--I called AA about them and the guy suggested I vacuum bag them and add more material?????? Not the answer I was hoping for--so in the interest of this project moving ahead --I am going to make them work. But as I see it now, the right and left side are going to be different from each other, but thankfully, the same on the whole side respectively.

Thanks in advance!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jan 10 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,432

there are a number of techniques being done to install body panels like this. Ive seen some guys rivet them on, then use cloth and resin-and alot of grinding- to mold them in. THis works ok. Ive seen some just use fiberglass filler and bondo-dont . My favorite is the epoxy method. There are alot of body bonding compounds available, some expensive, some more expensive. MY only experience is with KENT body epoxy. You can bond fiberglass and metal without as much worry about shrinking down and mold lines. Thing to do with this is sand down to bare metal, grind the fiberglass on the inside. GLUe that bad boy on. ONce it drys in place, go back and feather edge the outer edges of the panel, and reapply the epoxy to the edges. Let dry, sand down and then body work. After primed, i would put a heat lamp on it and let it heat real good to try to hurry up any shrinking there will be. Ive done this with minor panels and some cool interior work, nothing this large, but ive seen others do it. GOod luck.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 10 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Do a search for "GT Flares" thread that I did a few months ago.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Jan 10 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #4

Sooo Close.......

Thanks there boost! Just wanted to see how others were doing it.

Ury-your method was enlightening, however, I am not into cutting off my fenders and glassing and then welding back on--also, your butt method is too far out there for me..but thank you again for pointing me to your thread!

Looks like I will be lapping them in---and using just plain old polyester resin--but I got some good ideas--I think I will bond them in with a four dimension joint.

1. Bond flares to outer body.
2. cut slits into the metal between my screw anchors, this will put a bond into the metal itself.
3. Glass in the backside of the fender where the slits are to make a thru bond.
4. lapp glass from the backside of the fender around the joint lip and then back onto the underside of the flare.

I want to make absolutly sure these stay with the vehicle for a loooong time.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 10 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #5

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

You MUST check the alinement from side to side to get them the same. Check that they are centered on the wheel well and the same distance off of the bottom edge. Clamp them on and mark them.

Ask me how I know?

Paul
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 10 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #6

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 10 2005, 05:22 PM)
Thanks there boost! Just wanted to see how others were doing it.

Ury-your method was enlightening, however, I am not into cutting off my fenders and glassing and then welding back on--also, your butt method is too far out there for me..but thank you again for pointing me to your thread!

Looks like I will be lapping them in---and using just plain old polyester resin--but I got some good ideas--I think I will bond them in with a four dimension joint.

1. Bond flares to outer body.
2. cut slits into the metal between my screw anchors, this will put a bond into the metal itself.
3. Glass in the backside of the fender where the slits are to make a thru bond.
4. lapp glass from the backside of the fender around the joint lip and then back onto the underside of the flare.

I want to make absolutly sure these stay with the vehicle for a loooong time.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

Not to sure I'm absolutely clear on your bonding process, but the "slits" thing sounds like a stress crack (in your metal) waiting to happen. If you're dead set on a "through metal" bond for your flares, you'd be better off drilling some 3/8" - 7/16" holes with a Vari Bit (nice clean holes) at the lap-joint. Also keep in mind that unless you lay all of your glass on at one time you'll need to use "peel ply" (preferred), or have to sand the the area prior to laying on consecutive plies, or else you'll have a weak bond.

If I was going to bond glass flares onto the metal of a car, I would literally bond them to the vehicle using a Hysol product called EA934, and attach the FG fender to the car using 3/16" countersunk S/S pop rivets, spaced 2" apart around the periphery, and drilled sub-flush so the bondo will hide them (Use enough of the EA934 so that it "squeezes-out" both sides of the lap joint when the rivets are pulled, and scrape off the excess EA934). It's very similar in color and consistency to JBWeld (Hell, it might even be the same thing). Then you could blend the flares to the body pretty much anyway you wanted, and wouldn't have to worry about cracks developing down the road.

But that's just me. Been workin' on planes so long I overkill the hell out of everything. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Jan 11 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #7

Sooo Close.......

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Hey specialk--love your avatar- are you an A&P?? I am--also a Falcon 20 mech with the coast guard. I was thinking hysol also--but this bonding fiberglass to steel has thrown me a curve--all I ever work with is composites and 2024,7075,5005,etc....

I was thinking about the stress crack thingy also, but I rationed that after everything is glassed and glued that it would not present itself as a problem-----

Things to ponder-- (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

thanks ya'll (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 11 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #8

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Got my A&P. Lots of "A", but don't get to play with the "P" where I'm at. Boeing SMAR (Sheetmetal Assy. & Riveter). F-15K (Korean) right now, but working on the AV8B, and F/A-18E/F (mostly composites) gave me the idea of attaching F/G fenders using the Hysol EA934.........BAD ASS ADHESIVE (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:46 PM