Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lifters going south, I was right., That 356 with a 2.0 914 engine
scotty b
post Jan 12 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #21

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Jake , have you ever thought about writing a performance handbook for type 4's similar to the 911 book. Something to show the mods for longevity and power and maybe who's parts to use? I would think there might be a legal way of naming who NOT to buy from. Your knowledge could save people alot of $$$ and maybe teach these parts suppliers to build quality parts. I personally have had trouble with POOR fitting sheet metal from those great guys down south. I know I would buy a copy!!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jan 12 2005, 07:09 AM
Post #22

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Jake

You're the right guy for the job. Kind of like a bulldog with a hunk of the seat of the pants. The parts people got to be worried you don't get a hunk of the fannies they're sitting on. We all lucked out with you taking the point on this issue. It's pretty easy to send a check or make a contribution.

Thanks for your hard work

Dave
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 12 2005, 08:14 AM
Post #23

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 12 2005, 03:41 AM)
Although, the contact at Scat pisses me off faster than anyone else.... He asked me if I had coil bind, and "proper spring tension"....Hell, it had STOCK FRIGGIN SPRINGS and still exploded a lifter cup- BEFORE IT EVER CRANKED UP THE FIRST TIME!

Jake told me to do some little tests on these now junk lifters.
The owner is coming up (2 1/2 hours one way) this afternoon to see the mess of his 500 mile engine, once I have his Ok I will do these tests and post the results here for all to see.

Total stock valvetrain.

BTW when I was talking to Jake I told him that I heard a "pop" like a spring seating, when I replaced the lifters to do a leakdown test. He's pretty sure one of the pushrod cups exploded.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 12 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #24

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Scotty,
I have been working on a handbook since 1999 or so. It started out as just a compilation of my stuff so I would not forget it. Then when I got on the net I saw the demand for the stuff and guys wanted me to publish something. Its not a priority now, but maybe when I get some of my time back in the summer I'll take the time to finish it.

I have way more ability on video than in the book, so be looking for more videos in late 05 and 06 including the Performance engine rebuild video.

The hunt for ALL the TIV parts anyone could need and a quality company that does test their parts and KNOWS what works is about to get VERY interesting and CHEAPER too!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 12 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #25

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If you publish, be prepared for people to hunt down your phone number and call you up. They'll want free advice (they'll want you to tell them exactly how to build their engine so they can turn around and buy the parts from the "value" retailers), they'll want to suck up your time just talking about nothing, they'll want to tell you how wrong some part (or all of!) your book is, they'll scream and shout and tell you how you personally exploded their motor that they built following your book "exactly"... There are a myriad of morons out there, and it seems like every single stinkin' one of them buys the book and has to call you up to yell at you.

Have a nice long talk with Wayne about it some time. I only catch the very fringe of all of that--and what I see is more than bad enough.

If you publish anything, you have to be able to deal with idiots without having your blood pressure go through the roof. That seems to be the way of the world....

--DD
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 12 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I already talked to Wayne about it... Trying to find a publisher.

I am unavailable by phone and don't answer it- Ever.... All my emails are screened through the receptionist and those that don't have any content of being interested in my services are replied to with a nice little message that I saved just for the occasion.

On the last page of the book, or the next video the rules will be very direct and plain- Jake style!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:55 PM