Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> to do list, done list, and a few questions
76-914
post Apr 14 2014, 08:15 AM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 13 2014, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Apr 13 2014, 07:56 AM) *

If the matched set of injectors don't fix your high idle, try turning the ECU adjustment knob toward full rich a click at a time.

It took setting mine to full rich with the air bleed screw nearly closed to bring my idle within spec.

Thanks I'll give it a try once I get the new injectors! Is that CW or CCW?

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Apr 13 2014, 09:07 AM) *

Green injectors will not work very well. Spray pattern too much plus your mpg will decrease.

Good to know! I figured that might be part of the problem.

I'm hoping the new matched, cleaned, and tested injectors will fix the wrong-ish feel the engine has. Right now I feel like my 1.6 Ghia has more bite off the line than my 914. Although I've tuned the hell out of that Ghia for that last 2 years, and everything on it is well up to spec. Hopefully once I get everything sorted with the 914 it'll feel more nimble.

You have a ways to go with the tune if that Ghia is giving the Teener a run for it's money. My Ghia wouldn't pull a sick whore off a piss pot. CW = rich, CCW=lean.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Apr 14 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #22

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 14 2014, 10:15 AM) *

You have a ways to go with the tune if that Ghia is giving the Teener a run for it's money. My Ghia wouldn't pull a sick whore off a piss pot. CW = rich, CCW=lean.

Ha! You know people say that sort of thing about Ghias, and it makes me wonder if someone built mine to a bigger displacement than 1600 at some point way in the past and that info just got lost. It gave the TR6 I used to own a run for its money. Not exactly a fast car either, but ~40 more HP in that straight 6 than a stock 1600dp VW motor and the Ghia could keep up. And I spent a year and a half rebuilding and tuning that TR6 before I sold it off so it's not like it was run down or anything.

But the 914 revs easily and sounds great. There's just something missing in terms of forward motion! Definitely no clutch slip though, so it's got to be with the tuning.

Anyway, thanks for the head's up on the mixture adjustment. I'll try it out and see what happens when I get the new injectors.

BTW, this is my first FI car so forgive the dumb question that's about to follow. If I disconnect the fuel line to replace the injectors, I know fuel from the tank can't make it past the fuel pump. But will fuel from the tank come gushing out the return line, or is there a one-way valve or anything to prevent that?
In other words, do I need to drain the tank to replace the injectors?
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Apr 14 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #23

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 14 2014, 06:48 PM) *

BTW, this is my first FI car so forgive the dumb question that's about to follow. If I disconnect the fuel line to replace the injectors, I know fuel from the tank can't make it past the fuel pump. But will fuel from the tank come gushing out the return line, or is there a one-way valve or anything to prevent that?
In other words, do I need to drain the tank to replace the injectors?

You won't drain the tank by just removing a fuel injector or just by disconecting a fuel line on top of the engine. Upon removing the fuel rail a little fuel will come out but not a lot.

By the time you get this car sorted out you should bring it to Okteenerfest this fall and have some real fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Apr 14 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #24

J is for Genius

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Apr 14 2014, 08:52 PM) *

You won't drain the tank by just removing a fuel injector or just by disconecting a fuel line on top of the engine. Upon removing the fuel rail a little fuel will come out but not a lot.

Awesome, thanks!

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Apr 14 2014, 08:52 PM) *

By the time you get this car sorted out you should bring it to Okteenerfest this fall and have some real fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

If it can make it, I think I might try and get out there!
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Apr 14 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #25

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 14 2014, 09:05 PM) *
If it can make it, I think I might try and get out there!

If the 914 isn't roadworthy by then, bring the Ghia (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 14 2014, 08:16 PM
Post #26

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 14 2014, 03:48 PM) *
But will fuel from the tank come gushing out the return line, or is there a one-way valve or anything to prevent that?

The fuel-pressure regulator will not allow fuel to go backward through it. You don't have to drain the tank, but you should be prepared for the several tablespoons worth of fuel (which may be under pressure if it hasn't bled down yet) that are in the lines on top of the motor to come leaking out.

--DD
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Apr 15 2014, 09:13 AM
Post #27

J is for Genius

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 14 2014, 10:16 PM) *

The fuel-pressure regulator will not allow fuel to go backward through it. You don't have to drain the tank, but you should be prepared for the several tablespoons worth of fuel (which may be under pressure if it hasn't bled down yet) that are in the lines on top of the motor to come leaking out.

--DD

Awesome, good to know! I'll have a mason jar ready to catch it. Thanks!
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post May 7 2014, 03:41 PM
Post #28

J is for Genius

So is the mixture knob on the ecu supposed to have any effect on idle speed? Mine was set almost all the way to full rich, but bringing it all the way back toward lean had zero effect on my idle speed. I left it on the midpoint mark, for now.

I am completely stumped with this idle speed issue. Nothing I do will get the idle below 1200rpm. I've replaced every vacuum hose, all 4 runner boots, intake manifold gaskets, oil breather gasket, cold start valve gasket, throttle body gasket, adjusted the valves, adjusted the decel valve, and set the timing....and still I'm at 1200 with the idle screw all the way closed!!! What else is there?!

If I can't get it figured out by the end of the summer, I think I'm gonna do a cam and carb swap and have a local shop built it to a bigger displacement so I actually have some power. I took the car on a trip to visit my folks about 150 miles away over the weekend, and at highway speeds it had a hell of a time not losing speed on even the slightest uphill grade, in 5th gear above 3K rpm.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post May 7 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #29

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

Auxilliary Air Regulator (AAR) leaking? Try plugging input hose and see if idle drops.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post May 7 2014, 03:46 PM
Post #30

J is for Genius

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 7 2014, 05:45 PM) *

Auxilliary Air Regulator (AAR) leaking? Try plugging input hose and see if idle drops.

I removed the AAR because it was stuck open (mentioned in original post). Ports for it are currently plugged. Before pulling it, the idle was up in the 2K area.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post May 7 2014, 03:49 PM
Post #31

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

Any rust holes in the plenum allowing extra air in? Of course, might have to take it off to have a good look. Not sure if you looked at that when you redid the runner boots and intake runner gaskets.

Also, maybe a leaky PCV valve? Try plugging that one also.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post May 7 2014, 03:53 PM
Post #32

J is for Genius

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 7 2014, 05:49 PM) *

Any rust holes in the plenum allowing extra air in? Of course, might have to take it off to have a good look. Not sure if you looked at that when you redid the runner boots and intake runner gaskets.

Also, maybe a leaky PCV valve? Try plugging that one also.

I'll have to check the plenum. Didn't think about that when I replaced the boots. Doh! It wouldn't surprise me with this car if it was rusted.

Already checked the pcv valve.

Even if there was a vacuum leak on the plenum, would that account for the loss of power?
I drove my ghia for the first time in about 5 days today, and I'd forgotten how nice it is not to have to approach redline at every shift just to keep up with traffic!
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 7 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #33

Howdy

Have you checked to make sure your throttle body is closing all the way? Could be a weak return spring or a dirty throttle body.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post May 7 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #34

J is for Genius

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ May 7 2014, 06:09 PM) *

Have you checked to make sure your throttle body is closing all the way? Could be a weak return spring or a dirty throttle body.

Yup, I checked that when I replaced the throttle body gasket.

I know from my experience with carbs that throttle shaft bushings can wear and cause vacuum leaks. Is that possible with the FI throttle body?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 8 2014, 06:38 AM
Post #35

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

have you removed and inspected every fuel injector rubber seal and made sure they are present and properly seated?

Rich
+Quote Post
bulitt
post May 8 2014, 07:43 AM
Post #36

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

Try using a propane torch (not lit) and move the gas around all the hoses, manifolds, etc. You may get an increase in idle speed if you have a leak. Don't blow yerself up!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post May 8 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #37

J is for Genius

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 8 2014, 08:38 AM) *

have you removed and inspected every fuel injector rubber seal and made sure they are present and properly seated?

Rich

Yeah I've replaced ever fuel injector rubber seal.

QUOTE(bulitt @ May 8 2014, 09:43 AM) *

Try using a propane torch (not lit) and move the gas around all the hoses, manifolds, etc. You may get an increase in idle speed if you have a leak. Don't blow yerself up!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

I'll have to find someone with a propane torch I can borrow!

+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 8 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #38

Howdy

You can also use a can of starting fluid if you don't have a propane torch.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 8 2014, 09:10 AM
Post #39

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

That 1.7 isn't running right if your power is as described. Have you checked compression, done a leak down test or checked your distributor for correct part # and operation? I should have mentioned this the 1st go around. Disconnect every vacuum hose except the large one going to the MPS. Your idle should drop at that point. If it did then reconnect each hose, one at a time, until it rises again and presto you have it. If disconnecting those didn't lower the idle check your injector seals, throttle shaft, oil filler neck gasket and timing again. I really want to see you get this car to the state you thought it was in when purchased. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post May 8 2014, 10:57 AM
Post #40

J is for Genius

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 8 2014, 11:10 AM) *

That 1.7 isn't running right if your power is as described. Have you checked compression, done a leak down test or checked your distributor for correct part # and operation? I should have mentioned this the 1st go around. Disconnect every vacuum hose except the large one going to the MPS. Your idle should drop at that point. If it did then reconnect each hose, one at a time, until it rises again and presto you have it. If disconnecting those didn't lower the idle check your injector seals, throttle shaft, oil filler neck gasket and timing again. I really want to see you get this car to the state you thought it was in when purchased. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks, man! I'd love to see it in the state it was supposed to be in too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In regards to that, on a side note...my Dad, who is 70 now and retired, worked as a professional mechanic in his 20's for Mercury and Oldsmobile. When he saw the paint on this car, his first words were, "that is the shittiest, cheapest paint job I've ever seen!"
Just wanted to add that in regards to dumbass/conman Scotty Boy's claim of a $10K paint job.

Anyway...
I haven't done a compression test yet. That's on the to-do list!
Where can I find the distributor number? I did notice that to get it timed properly, that the dizzy is very close to full advance, about 15 degrees or so rotation from full advance.

I'll try the test disconnecting the vacuum hoses and see what happens.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:09 AM