Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CV joint wear, taken apart, cleaned up and worn out... I guess
malcolm2
post Apr 7 2014, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

A thank you goes out to Mike Blizzard for supplying me with 2 axles this past weekend. I have taken them apart and cleaned the 40 year old grease out of them. I have watched Van Svensen's video on youtube and he showed 1 ?spider? with the same problem. He just turned his around. The outer portion of these CVs shows some wear.

Attached Image
I would have thought the outer would have more wear. But maybe the wear comes from poor lubrication? I still have the 2nd axle's joints to clean up, but that will have to wait 'til Tuesday.

Attached Image

The cage shows only a slight bit of shine where the balls sit. All the other goodies are cleaned and show not wear. Missing 2 schorr washers, so somone had been in here before me.

Attached Image

My limited knowledge of this tells me that both of these joints are bad and to call Eric and get me some new CV joints. I can't imagine that there are any good used joints left, or parts for that matter.

Anyone agree.... disagree? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stugray
post Apr 7 2014, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

I actually have a couple that I have marked as "bad" in my stash that do not look as bad as those.

It makes me think that mine might still have some life in them.

I just cant throw away an old CV joint, they are far too cool of a gadget :-)
And the balls would make good ammo for a wrist rocket...
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Apr 7 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #3

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

i think we all got that same affliction. keeping them around, just in case
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Apr 8 2014, 05:04 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

I remember reading somewhere that you can either swap the CV joint sides or position so that the worn part is not load bearing. I think this only works when there are small wear marks. If someone can confirm what I think I remember that might be an easier solution.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Apr 8 2014, 05:13 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 8 2014, 06:04 AM) *

I remember reading somewhere that you can either swap the CV joint sides or position so that the worn part is not load bearing. I think this only works when there are small wear marks. If someone can confirm what I think I remember that might be an easier solution.

that is what van did in this video. there is a Part 2 video where he puts it back together. He reinstalled the inner most piece by FLIPPING IT. It showed the exact same wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsytyVzokBg
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 8 2014, 07:24 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

The inner race in the photo looks bad.....mine werent that bad and were making a lot of noise. I'd use those for wrist rocket ammo.

I would call up Chris Foley and get new ones since you are in there.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Apr 8 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 8 2014, 08:24 AM) *

Did you buy from Tangerine?

Eric explains the R&D and successes behind his choice of brand, which is great to hear and he suggests NOT using the paper gasket. Requires that you not use it, actually.

Chris has already machined 2 holes to take the pin, has an o-ring for the boot cup & still requires the paper gasket. Not sure if they are the same brand. Oh yea, Chris pays the freight. I think either would be good from both of these reputable vendors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Someone with a favorite please chime in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Apr 8 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #8

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

I used Chris and had them next day.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 8 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 8 2014, 11:20 AM) *

Did you buy from Tangerine?

Eric explains the R&D and successes behind his choice of brand, which is great to hear and he suggests NOT using the paper gasket. Requires that you not use it, actually.

Chris has already machined 2 holes to take the pin, has an o-ring for the boot cup & still requires the paper gasket. Not sure if they are the same brand. Oh yea, Chris pays the freight. I think either would be good from both of these reputable vendors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Someone with a favorite please chime in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I used type 1 CV's which don't use the paper gaskets. I have probably 2,000 miles on them with no problems....all new hardware. I bought them from a member here whom got them from PMB.

Both vendor's are good....that is your choice. The reason you don't use the paper gaskets with the Type 1's is because there is no recess in the CV for them and your bolts will back out. Tangerine machines the recess in the CV for you and drills the hole for the roll pins.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Apr 20 2014, 09:18 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

The inner race in the photo looks bad.....mine werent that bad and were making a lot of noise. I'd use those for wrist rocket ammo.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) UPDATE: Well with the help of the donor shaft and 2 Tangerine CV joints I have installed the half shaft and new CV joints on the passenger side and the CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK is gone. Happy days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I cleaned up the axle that I pulled from my car, expecting to see damage. Both joints look 100% better than the donor, core axle I got from Blizzard pictured in post #1.

914_teener, you are saying that I could get the CLUNKING without visible bearing damage? Is the clunking grease related? Old grease, too little grease? In Dr 914's book he mentions DRY joints can clunk. And that a new axle will smooth out the ride, I can attest to that. My ride is smoother.

I did notice that one joint had a much more liquidy grease. Maybe water got in or the mixture of previous greases did something.
+Quote Post
MikeM
post Apr 20 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,733
Region Association: Canada

Hi....what do you mean when you say it smoothed out your ride?
I have been chasing a shimmy for years in my car and have been thinking about new axles and cv's from Tangerine. I'd hate to spend the 600 bucks and not fix the problem. What kinds of problems were you having besides the clunking?
Mike
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Apr 20 2014, 09:55 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(MikeM @ Apr 20 2014, 10:32 AM) *

I have been chasing a shimmy for years in my car and have been thinking about new axles and cv's from Tangerine. I'd hate to spend the 600 bucks and not fix the problem. What kinds of problems were you having besides the clunking?
Mike

George's "Tech Tips 700" page 42 # 253 says: "A clicking noise while under way is caused by a dry CV joint.....worn joints can also cause a vibration in the seat of your pants."

It is really hard to put my finger on the exact improvement. I seem to have vibrations abound. But this is just one half shaft and 2 joints and I think it helped.

What you might do is watch Van's videos above and pull your axles, clean all the old grease off of your joints and look for wear. Then if all looks good, reload with fresh grease. After doing this, you might get the same improvement I got. I bet all that could be done in one weekend, maybe one day. For the cost of a weekend and 8 ounces of grease vs. the axles. Then if you do need Joints, just buy the joints.... about $100 each $400 for all.
+Quote Post
MikeM
post Apr 20 2014, 04:33 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 20 2014, 09:55 AM) *

Mike

George's "Tech Tips 700" page 42 # 253 says: "A clicking noise while under way is caused by a dry CV joint.....worn joints can also cause a vibration in the seat of your pants."

It is really hard to put my finger on the exact improvement. I seem to have vibrations abound. But this is just one half shaft and 2 joints and I think it helped.

What you might do is watch Van's videos above and pull your axles, clean all the old grease off of your joints and look for wear. Then if all looks good, reload with fresh grease. After doing this, you might get the same improvement I got. I bet all that could be done in one weekend, maybe one day. For the cost of a weekend and 8 ounces of grease vs. the axles. Then if you do need Joints, just buy the joints.... about $100 each $400 for all.

Yes, I have done the axles and joints. I took them apart and cleaned them up as best I could. Unfortunately they looked about the same as yours but I had to put them back together. My problem is a whole car shimmy, probably not the cv's unless an axle or stub axle is bent.
Thanks,
Mike
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 20 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #14

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

QUOTE(MikeM @ Apr 20 2014, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 20 2014, 09:55 AM) *

Mike

Yes, I have done the axles and joints. I took them apart and cleaned them up as best I could. Unfortunately they looked about the same as yours but I had to put them back together. My problem is a whole car shimmy, probably not the cv's unless an axle or stub axle is bent.
Thanks,
Mike

How old are your tires?
I had a shimmy with brand new looking tires, but in reality they were old. A belt had shifted.

CV wear will make noise, but it shouldn't cause a shimmy.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Apr 20 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 20 2014, 06:38 PM) *

How old are your tires?
I had a shimmy with brand new looking tires, but in reality they were old. A belt had shifted.

CV wear will make noise, but it shouldn't cause a shimmy.

Tires are the next thing for me... I know I will get blasted from the forum..... I have 3 tires with date codes of 5000 and 1 with 0601. that is Dec 2000 (week 50) and Feb 2001. This car died soon after that, cause the tires are FULL TREAD, no side wall cracks. It sat for 10 years, then I bought it in 2011.

Go ahead and BLAST AWAY. I am sure they are the source of any shimmy that I have remaining. I should at least go to a JY and find some 2010 tires, right... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Maybe just the fronts.

I had one tire store tell me that they would not even put air in my tires...... I KNOW>>> (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 20 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Mostly the inspection on tje CV 'S are visual.

Yours may last another 50k miles......dont know.

I drove my car for three years without ever touching them.

For me........since I re-did my whole rear suspension...I did it beacause I wanted a peice of mind.

It.s a nasty job ......didn.t want to take them apart anytime soon.
+Quote Post
MikeM
post Apr 20 2014, 09:33 PM
Post #17

Guys....I've tried everything. Swapped out tires and wheels several times, changed pads and installed new rotors, new trailing arm bushings and wheel bearings, even swapped out the transmission...never any change. The car seems to vibrate and shimmy when up in the air so that's why I'm sure it's something in the back.
Mostly felt at 30 and 60 mph, so it feels like wheel balance but it doesn't seem like the front end because it shimmies the whole car. I can feel it in the seat.
I've been chasing this for 3 years and it's getting a little old....
Now I'm thinking something is bent...like an axle or stub axle.
Mike
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Apr 21 2014, 03:58 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(MikeM @ Apr 20 2014, 07:33 PM) *

Guys....I've tried everything. Swapped out tires and wheels several times, changed pads and installed new rotors, new trailing arm bushings and wheel bearings, even swapped out the transmission...never any change. The car seems to vibrate and shimmy when up in the air so that's why I'm sure it's something in the back.
Mostly felt at 30 and 60 mph, so it feels like wheel balance but it doesn't seem like the front end because it shimmies the whole car. I can feel it in the seat.
I've been chasing this for 3 years and it's getting a little old....
Now I'm thinking something is bent...like an axle or stub axle.
Mike

What year? Are the wheels you are using compatibility with hud-centric or lug-centric rotors?
+Quote Post
MikeM
post Apr 21 2014, 05:00 AM
Post #19

Hi...car is a '74. I bought the rear centering rings from Tangerine, didn't help.
Also forgot to mention new shocks, springs and trans mounts.
Thanks,
Mike
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Apr 21 2014, 06:19 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Oh so the car is in the air and it shakes. Is that with wheels on or off?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:02 AM