Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heater blower motor, Are motors & housings interchangeable?
zonedoubt
post Jan 12 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

The heater blower motor in my '74 is toast. I bench tested the motor w/ 12VDC and confirmed that the supply circuit is working OK. It's probably the original motor and finally kicked the bucket from constant heat exposure in the engine bay.

The type of motor that is in there is the single output tube with a Y-adapter. Two hoses come off the Y and go to the two J-tubes on either side of the engine bay. I know that on most 74's, the motor has one output and that the passenger side J-tube is usually capped. This car was probably set up to output more heat to deal with the cold Canadian climate.

My question is whether the motor from the earlier 2-output fan blowers can be easily removed and fitted to the housing on the later style blowers? Alternatively, are there any other motors (Porsche or VW) that will fit?

Or...does anyone have a good condition working motor they want to sell? It could be the single output type since I could simply swap the motor the Y-adapter.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 12 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Some motors will interchange with some housings. The show stopper will be plastic or metal housings. Motors from plastic housings mount just a little different than the ones from the metal housings. Nope, you can't just swap the fans around and drill holes to make it work either. The fans on both types mount differently. So if you can find a good used fan with the same type housing (plastic or metal, 911 or 914 or VW doesn't matter), then you can swap out the motor. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Done it tons of times.

Oh yeah, if you can find the motors that are bigger, usually the 911 motors, grab those. Better motor.
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Jan 13 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,060

Is that the blower in the motor bay? Can you get the front blower out with out removing the gas tank ?? Mine wont work.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 13 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #4

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yep, I was referring to the blower motor in the engine bay. The fresh air fan I think, mind you think can be removed with the gas tank in the car. But don't quote me on that one. Been too long. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
michel richard
post Jan 13 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 936

I have a couple of those motors in Montreal. I would sell one real cheap. Please email michrich@videotron.ca if you're interested.

Michel Richard
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 13 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #6

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Here's a write up I did a few years back (my first 914). It may gice you an idea of some of the variables you'll have to deal with.

I attempted to rebuild a heater blower motor without much success. Mechanically it was shot. You can see in the pictures that the choke coil from the power lead to the brush kept de-soldering itself when the windings smack the magnets due to the shoddy bushing in the bottom of the housing. Notice the grooves in the magnets. Replaced it with a motor from a 73 single blower unit. The mounting flange of the motor was too large to fit in the 74 double outlet housing. With a die grinder I removed approximately .050 all around the mounting hole in the housing. Sandblasted the mounting clamp. Works like a champ if not a tad weak. The motor is a smaller unit, but it beats freezing.
(IMG:http://members.rennlist.com/gman/porsche/heater_mtr.jpg)

Heater blower motor pics
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:41 AM