Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Improved shifting for side shifters, bolt on? Maybe., Experimenting tonight.
bulitt
post Apr 16 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #41

Achtzylinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Remind me how difficult it is to pull this rod out for shipping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 16 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #42

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 16 2014, 09:24 AM) *

Where as a Rennshifter addresses the problem at the end of the chain, my solution will address it at the source

Are you suggesting that it would be either or of these solutions or would combo of the two allow the heavens to open and beams of light to shine forth from your shifter?
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Apr 16 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #43

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 16 2014, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 16 2014, 09:24 AM) *

Where as a Rennshifter addresses the problem at the end of the chain, my solution will address it at the source

Are you suggesting that it would be either or of these solutions or would combo of the two allow the heavens to open and beams of light to shine forth from your shifter?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
JWest
post Apr 16 2014, 11:44 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

The RennShift addresses the large amount of friction in the factory shifter and adds the gate springs that 99% of manual transmissions are blessed with from the factory. Reducing play is only part of the picture. Lots of weak areas in the shift mechanism - have to hit all the links as each improvement makes the next one the weakest.

Edited out the drama after a good night's sleep...but you still get to see it quoted...
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Apr 16 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 16,395

QUOTE(JWest @ Apr 16 2014, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 16 2014, 11:24 AM) *

Where as a Rennshifter addresses the problem at the end of the chain, my solution will address it at the source and will be far less.

I don't see a slam on your product at all...I have seen before a defensive attitude in your response to perceived criticism ..I have seen great respect and appreciation from this site chatter for the rennshift..I am saving to purchase one soon...in in hobby viable solutions at a cheaper price than currently available will generate buzz...its not automaticly a knock on an already existing product .You and Jake get some skin thickner
Rant warning - sorry - you brought me into this...

I find it interestingly sad that many 914 owners feel the need to attack and put down those that produce parts specifically for these cars. I don't belive that I have EVER wronged anyone in a sale, yet you guys seem to treat me like the evil corporation after your money. I'm not StuffMart producing crap in China to put others out of business...

The RennShift addresses the large amount of friction in the factory shifter and adds the gate springs that 99% of manual transmissions are blessed with from the factory. Reducing play is only part of the picture.

As for the price, this is a very small market. If not for the similarities with the 911 version, I would not be able to make this a viable product at all.

I did make a cheaper version for a time - the RennShift Jr. Most of the features of the RennShift for half the price. Sold 2 in as many years. Price is not everything...

Sorry, but I feel that you guys go out of your way much too often to alienate rather than support those that make products for these cars (and it's not just me).

If you can make this product work well then it will be a good combo with the RennShift. Good luck with your progress - when I tried this mod I found that the pattern was overly constrained so it took too much deliberation follow a square corner from gear-to-gear. Much like driving with a true gated shifter in a Ferrari - cool, but kind of a pain.

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 16 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #46

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JWest @ Apr 16 2014, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 16 2014, 11:24 AM) *

Where as a Rennshifter addresses the problem at the end of the chain, my solution will address it at the source and will be far less.

Rant warning - sorry - you brought me into this...

I find it interestingly sad that many 914 owners feel the need to attack and put down those that produce parts specifically for these cars. I don't belive that I have EVER wronged anyone in a sale, yet you guys seem to treat me like the evil corporation after your money. I'm not StuffMart producing crap in China to put others out of business...

The RennShift addresses the large amount of friction in the factory shifter and adds the gate springs that 99% of manual transmissions are blessed with from the factory. Reducing play is only part of the picture.

As for the price, this is a very small market. If not for the similarities with the 911 version, I would not be able to make this a viable product at all.

I did make a cheaper version for a time - the RennShift Jr. Most of the features of the RennShift for half the price. Sold 2 in as many years. Price is not everything...

Sorry, but I feel that you guys go out of your way much too often to alienate rather than support those that make products for these cars (and it's not just me).

If you can make this product work well then it will be a good combo with the RennShift. Good luck with your progress - when I tried this mod I found that the pattern was overly constrained so it took too much deliberation follow a square corner from gear-to-gear. Much like driving with a true gated shifter in a Ferrari - cool, but kind of a pain.

Dude, unclench.

1- Renshifter is $500+, FACT
2- It addresses the issue at the END of the shifter circuit, FACT

Did I post derogatory comments about your product? NO. Do I own one? YES. Have I always posted uncompensated positive reviews when asked about it? YES. So cool you jets.

I merely wish to build a better mouse trap. My enhancement, which has yet to be tested, if it works as I anticipate, will fix the problem at the source and cost a fraction of a Rennshifter, FACT. Also, stupid easy to instal.

If you dont like ingenuity and want us all to just accept what is already out there, then you are mistaken. My concept and potential product in no way diminish what you make and sell. For all we know, the Rennshifter will still be the superior solution, and I may not sell any of my units, and they may work stupid well in concert together. I dont know, that is why I am testing it and trying to refine it.

I in no way was making a personal attack on you, Rennshifter, or any other vendor. I have supported your product to people in public and private, and I only use it as a benchmark to beat.

Cant we all just get a long? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
JWest
post Apr 16 2014, 07:40 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 97

OK, unclenching performed - do I need to send a copy of my insurance card or is the first time medical advice free? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Evil, carry on and make this thing work!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 16 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #48

Drama off:

So, to change this unit you would need to drain the oil, remove the external shifter rod, transmission in neutral, remove two nuts, pull the console, install the new console, reassemble everything, put new oil in, adjust shifter.

As for 914 stuff, this is pretty easy.

If I installed it on your rebuild, nothing different would need to be done when installing.

Sooo, on that note, I am about to finish the assembly of the test/raffle box and then drop the trans out of my car and maybe put the new one in depending on how tired I am. I was up tweeking until 3am with this and the transmission, back up at 830 and feeling it.

I got my latest tatt finished, today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 16 2014, 07:46 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(JWest @ Apr 16 2014, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Apr 16 2014, 06:47 PM) *

I don't see a slam on your product at all...I have seen before a defensive attitude in your response to perceived criticism ..I have seen great respect and appreciation from this site chatter for the rennshift..I am saving to purchase one soon...in in hobby viable solutions at a cheaper price than currently available will generate buzz...its not automaticly a knock on an already existing product .You and Jake get some skin thickner

It's not excessively defensive when my product is called out by name...I had no business on this thread until that point.

Again, sorry for the rant - I've just seen too many sideways comments about good vendors (not the known bad ones) without real product feedback or useful criticism and I'm piling this on, not accusing the Dr. of doing this.

Evil, carry on and make this thing work!

I know how stressful it can be, Big Guy. Niche market, good product at a great price that is still not cheap enough for the masses makes it even harder. I still think your stuff is titts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Have a beer on me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Apr 16 2014, 08:10 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Homeostasis has been achieved once again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Apr 16 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #51

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

do the math , large angles versus small angles....enhancement maybe.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
HarveyH
post Apr 16 2014, 09:33 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 843

My take on this:
I'm visualizing the stock shift mechanism as being very imprecise on both the shifter lever and the transmission console ends. The J West product appears to tighten up the shift lever end while the Tangerine Racing console bushings will tighten up the ball cup portion of the transmission console and the good doctor's mod seems that it will make the internal gear selection more precise.

Seems like everyone gets a piece of the action.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Harvey
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 16 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #53

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

My only question is, why you didn't get a perspective view V-10 tat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Waiting to see how it all works out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 16 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #54

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

What is the mod?
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 16 2014, 11:23 PM
Post #55

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Careful welding on that internal shift part. If improper penetration and hardness are not achieved you will be depositing metal pieces inside the box. We have seen some of your welding.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 16 2014, 11:52 PM
Post #56

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yappin.gif) Ya ya. I already posted about this. Way to show up late to the party....

Hardness was maintained.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 17 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #57

Alright, got the trans in last night/this morning. Drove it this evening in some areas that required a lot of shifting. I was expecting more. The shifter I have is very loose and was the instigator for me trying something new. With my enhancement, it shifts like a normal 914 with only slight improvement.

So, I have a Rennshifter somewhere (either at Scotts or in my boxes) and will try it with that, and with a short shift kit if I can get one, and with a rebuilt stocker. I think the best bang for the buck for the cheap-just-just-want-a-little-better club would be short shift and this shifter comb treatment. I need to drive a few stock ones and have people drive mine to get some more feedback.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Apr 17 2014, 11:10 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 15,144

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 18 2014, 12:26 AM) *

Alright, got the trans in last night/this morning. Drove it this evening in some areas that required a lot of shifting. I was expecting more. The shifter I have is very loose and was the instigator for me trying something new. With my enhancement, it shifts like a normal 914 with only slight improvement.

So, I have a Rennshifter somewhere (either at Scotts or in my boxes) and will try it with that, and with a short shift kit if I can get one, and with a rebuilt stocker. I think the best bang for the buck for the cheap-just-just-want-a-little-better club would be short shift and this shifter comb treatment. I need to drive a few stock ones and have people drive mine to get some more feedback.

Aw, poop.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Apr 18 2014, 03:50 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 13,469

Don't fret Doc, We have faith. The right guy is on the job.

David
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Apr 18 2014, 05:47 AM
Post #60

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 17 2014, 08:26 PM) *

Trust him...he's an engineer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:16 PM