Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strange MPS issue, Lew's car
achman_73_2.0
post Apr 29 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,577
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(worn @ Apr 29 2014, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(achman_73_2.0 @ Apr 29 2014, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 28 2014, 08:58 PM) *

"Either the wiring of the #4 injector to the MPS, or the #4 injector itself."

Please explain which wire goes from the injector to the mps? Do you mean the ecu?

Sorry, I mean one of the four wires which is plugged into the MPS through the connector. I really don't know where it leads...I'm not really electrically savvy.

The wires go to two coils, one inside the other. So there are 4 ends. All 4 wires go to the ECU aka brain to be used to set the length of injector pulse. It is one really cool analog system for measuring engine load. Incidentally, the plug to the MPS works in either orientation.

Thanks for explaining.

Odd, as when I unplugged MPS and flipped it over and plugged it back in, the car died and wouldn't run.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Apr 29 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #42

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 29 2014, 11:41 AM) *

When I read the post and suggestions......there are two that suggest checking the distributer first....

Maybe that's not what you read? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Not sure what you mean, as this had nothing to do with the dizzy
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Apr 29 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 29 2014, 02:48 PM) *

The MPS can affect detonation. An overly-lean mixture will detonate easier than a proper, or overly-rich, one.

As Worn just mentioned, there is no one-to-one correspondence between MPS wires and injector wires. There is just one "signal" produced by the MPS, and it is used as a basis for the injector pulse of all four injectors.

--DD

Seems logical. If the MPS is calibrated for a stock 2.0 engine, and you increase displacement, you may have issues.
Based on what I have read in the archives with people with 2056 engines, it has been an issue running lean and trying to calibrate the MPS.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 29 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(achman_73_2.0 @ Apr 29 2014, 01:33 PM) *

When I read the post and suggestions......there are two that suggest checking the distributer first....

I mean this:

You first suspected your MPS and then it turned out to be your wiring.

Now you have a high idle and you still suspect the MPS?

High idle and pinging could mean several issues. Don't forget the FI system is a System. Therefore you need a systematic approach. The FI system is also an electromechanical system.........so I am suggesting you check the mechanical stuff first to rule those out....otherwise you will be chasing your tail.

High idle could be a vacuum leak which could also cause the detonation due to an overly lean mixture and or timing.....the MPS can also cause the lean mixture as Dave has mentioned....or it could be comorbid.....meaning all the above.

Rule out one thing and then check the next component.

So you MAY want to check out the dizzy to make sure it is functioning correctly for arm movement, correct vacuum hose routing, and vacuum leaks at the advance and retard diaphrams............

That"s what I mean.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 29 2014, 06:02 PM
Post #45

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Detonation, or pre-ignition, is typically cause by timing of the combustion event.
Not a faulty MPS.
Too much advance will create a few results
Pinging or detonation ( you have this)
High idle ( you have this)
To much heat, and more pinging when super hot.... (You have this, though you may not know it)

A lean condition, what a faulty mps will do, will create just the hot condition.
A broken mps with a vacuum leak will run super rich, so richer eyes will water.

I still would suggest that your timing may be wrong, your advance may be sticky.

Just reading all your conditions at once...

I will add one disclaimer...
bowlsby makes new wiring harnesses because many of us have chased our tails for months to eventually find out the harness if fubar...
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 29 2014, 06:15 PM
Post #46

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

You've had several very knowledgeable people tell you to check your diz,
so why don't you? One thing to rule out.
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Apr 30 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 29 2014, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(achman_73_2.0 @ Apr 29 2014, 01:33 PM) *

I mean this:

You first suspected your MPS and then it turned out to be your wiring.

Now you have a high idle and you still suspect the MPS?

High idle and pinging could mean several issues. Don't forget the FI system is a System. Therefore you need a systematic approach. The FI system is also an electromechanical system.........so I am suggesting you check the mechanical stuff first to rule those out....otherwise you will be chasing your tail.

High idle could be a vacuum leak which could also cause the detonation due to an overly lean mixture and or timing.....the MPS can also cause the lean mixture as Dave has mentioned....or it could be comorbid.....meaning all the above.

Rule out one thing and then check the next component.

So you MAY want to check out the dizzy to make sure it is functioning correctly for arm movement, correct vacuum hose routing, and vacuum leaks at the advance and retard diaphrams............

That"s what I mean.

No offense meant.

I don't remember saying anywhere that I suspect the MPS for the high idle.

I said I would adjust valves and check timing, as I don't know when this was last done or if it was correct before I got the car.

There seems to be a debate as to whether the MPS can't affect the car running lean. Some say yes, some say no way. It seems that if the MPS is determining injector pulse length, and you have a larger displacement engine than stock, and the injector pulse length is not long enough at max load, then you will not get enough fuel into the cylinders, causing it to run lean, which could result in pinging.

Does this not seem logical?

Of course this is determined also by timing, injector size etc.

On a supercharged car I built, I went with slightly larger than stock injectors and then had a "band aid" controller which lengthened injector pulse under boost to add extra fuel. The injectors were near 100% flow, so the pulse was lengthened which added fuel and prevented leaning out and detonation. Sounds crappy, ran perfectly, and works for low boost just fine.

I will try to adjust the valves, then set the timing, and re-evaluate the idle. If it still runs high, I will know that the timing and valves are correct and that it the issue lies
somewhere else. I will then check the dizzy, vacuum lines, dizzy advance etc. and see what I come up with.

+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Apr 30 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 29 2014, 08:15 PM) *

There clearly seems to be a misunderstanding here.

The initial problem (engine running on 3 cylinders) had nothing to do with the dizzy. Read the thread.

The high idle may ABSOLUTELY have something to do with it.

I have not had any time to go to the garage (I live in NYC, remember, my garage is not connected to my house--it is 15 minutes away) and my work has kept me incredibly busy.

I'm not resistant to checking the dizzy! Sheesh!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

+Quote Post
worn
post Apr 30 2014, 11:35 AM
Post #49

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(achman_73_2.0 @ Apr 30 2014, 09:22 AM) *

The initial problem (engine running on 3 cylinders) had nothing to do with the dizzy. Read the thread.

I have not had any time to go to the garage (I live in NYC, remember, my garage is not connected to my house--it is 15 minutes away) and my work has kept me incredibly busy.

Actually the MPS can have an impact on both even if it isn't a prime suspect.

The MPS can make the car go lean. Somewhere during the adjustment of my own 2056 MPS I went way lean and produced an explosion that tore open a previously healthy muffler. I suspect a backfire, cause I heard popping at the time.

Any vacuum leak will cause high idle. The engine will respond to more air by giving more fuel and that will be that. The MPS hose is one of several that go to the manifold downstream of the throttle butterfly. If my idle will not go down the first suspect on my list is a vacuum leak.

When I first got my car it ran horrible all the way from Baltimore to Madison. I ended up stripping down and cleaning the entire induction system. It certainly needed it - the car had sat for almost 20 years. In my case the fuel regulator was stuck shut so the injectors were seeing 90 psi pump pressure. A bit, uhmm rich. The car ran for several years quite well even though I ultimately discovered the diaphragm in the MPS was cracked. Thank heavens for Racer Chris. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Apr 30 2014, 05:12 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(worn @ Apr 30 2014, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(achman_73_2.0 @ Apr 30 2014, 09:22 AM) *

Actually the MPS can have an impact on both even if it isn't a prime suspect.

The MPS can make the car go lean. Somewhere during the adjustment of my own 2056 MPS I went way lean and produced an explosion that tore open a previously healthy muffler. I suspect a backfire, cause I heard popping at the time.

Any vacuum leak will cause high idle. The engine will respond to more air by giving more fuel and that will be that. The MPS hose is one of several that go to the manifold downstream of the throttle butterfly. If my idle will not go down the first suspect on my list is a vacuum leak.

When I first got my car it ran horrible all the way from Baltimore to Madison. I ended up stripping down and cleaning the entire induction system. It certainly needed it - the car had sat for almost 20 years. In my case the fuel regulator was stuck shut so the injectors were seeing 90 psi pump pressure. A bit, uhmm rich. The car ran for several years quite well even though I ultimately discovered the diaphragm in the MPS was cracked. Thank heavens for Racer Chris. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Thanks for all the great tips and info.

This car has a pretty newly rebuilt 2056 from SchantzMD that runs very strongly. I am not sure how much of the wiring was replaced, or if the dizzy was rebuilt, I will try to look at the papers.

The MPS is an 037 that was rebuilt by FI corp. So who knows if the calibration is correct anyway...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 12:53 AM