Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmissions
Colicious
post Jan 12 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,397

If i were to buy a 914 with a busted tranny, how much do the 914 trannys cost, or is there a better replacement? I have heard a few people using Boxster S transmissions. I also plan on doing a v8 conversion, so a boxster s transmission seems like it would hold more power and be a lot newer. would the boxster s trannys be able to bolt up to a chevy 350, or like a ls1 (with the help of an adapter plate......which could you use the same one from renegade thats used in the 914 kit, or would you have to take it out of a different kit?). any help is appreciated
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wrpspddrvr
post Jan 12 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,317
Region Association: None

I love it when you guys mention Boxster stuff on a 914. Makes my pants too small all of the sudden. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

Cole (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 12 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I have heard of and seen pictures of only 1 Boxster transmission in 914, it is bolted up to an 3.XX liter air-cooled engine...cost to mate the transmission to the engine was in the $4K range or something crazy...lots of cutting and welding

Right now no one makes an adapter plate for a Chevy 350 for the Boxster transmission...you can call Kennedy and ask if they plan on making one, or possibly Renegade to see if they have ventured down that path.

Used 914 transmissions range from free to a couple of hundred bucks or so for a known good one and then up to a thousand plus for a rebuilt unit.
+Quote Post
xitspd
post Jan 12 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #4

Technology and Tradition 3.6 and 914-6

Member No.: 3,136

You are much better off to stay with a 901 or a 915 with a cable shifter or a Vellois kit. I recently bought a trick 901 with wammie gears and a 904 main shaft for $1500.00.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 12 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #5

neo life

Member No.: 159

1 Boxster transmission in 914, it is bolted up to an 3.XX liter air-cooled engine...cost to mate the transmission to the engine was in the $4K range or something crazy...lots of cutting and welding

As I recall the guy paid $5k for the tranny and over $15k to professionally install it. The cost of being the first...
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 12 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #6

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Here's a brief summary of what I've heard..

901 is good to 300 HP (don't use first gear, and ratios should be changed for highway use)

930 is good to approx 500 HP and has perfect ratios for a V8 (requires flipping of the ring and pinion)

915 is stronger than the 901, but not as strong as a 930, and has bad ratios for a V8. I don't think they're as easy to re-ratio as a 901.

The general consensus is for a V8, either stay with a 901, or go all the way to 930. I'm told that the 915 is about as much work to fit as a 930, ends up costing nearly as much, isn't as strong, and has poor ratios for a V8.

I'm building an LT1 914, and I'm going with a 901 that I'm building up myself. Someday I may go to a 930, but only if I break the 901, or do mods to the LT1 that would surely break the 901.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 12 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

$5K seems pretty steep for the Boxster gearbox. I thought Brad was saying something about COMPLETE Boxster drivetrains going for about that or less.

Audi gearboxes are also mentioned, though I don't know of anyone that's running a completed setup in a 914, yet. I know there are a good number of mid-engined v8 kit cars running around with the Audi 'box in them, though, including one high-quality GT40 clone.

The stock gearing in the 914 gearbox is not all that well suited to the V8's torque curve (cruise at 3K rpm, and 1st is uselessly short), and it doesn't handle the level of torque all that well. If you're serious on the V8 thing, you might want to start elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 12 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 12 2005, 02:55 PM)
$5K seems pretty steep for the Boxster gearbox. I thought Brad was saying something about COMPLETE Boxster drivetrains going for about that or less.

Audi gearboxes are also mentioned, though I don't know of anyone that's running a completed setup in a 914, yet. I know there are a good number of mid-engined v8 kit cars running around with the Audi 'box in them, though, including one high-quality GT40 clone.

The stock gearing in the 914 gearbox is not all that well suited to the V8's torque curve (cruise at 3K rpm, and 1st is uselessly short), and it doesn't handle the level of torque all that well. If you're serious on the V8 thing, you might want to start elsewhere.

I think he bought his gearbox when they first came out and not too many had been balled up yet.....right now the engines from wrecked Cayannes are still expensive until more wreckers realize that there really is not a market for the used engines and transmissons....
+Quote Post
Colicious
post Jan 12 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #9

how much do 930 trannies run for? i do plan on going way over 300, so i dont want to have to buy 2 transmissions

and my name is cole too :cool:
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 12 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #10

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

The cheapest I've seen a used one go for is $1200. It did not have the differential flipped for mid engine use.. not sure how much that costs. For a rebuilt one set up for mid engine use, I'm sure the sky is the limit. You'd also need a different clutch/flywheel, and some sort of shifter setup. I think Renegade says it'll cost around $9-10K when all is said and done. I'm sure it can be done for less if you do alot yourself and find a good deal on a good used trans.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 12 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

welcome cole.....

$1000 to $1500+ for the transmission, plus another $1000 to do the ring and pinion flip and machining to the case.....start adding $1000's to the price if you need a full rebuild or want an LSD if the transmission did not come with one....

not cheap, but the way to go if you want piece of mind and drive your car hard....
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Jan 12 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #12

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

I believe that the Renegade estimate covers the core 930 tranny, cut down bell housing on late case, flipped R&P, different CV's, bigger axles, 240mm clutch and flywheel, cable shifter, conversion to electric speedo and maybe a refresh of the innards. It assumes that their later, thick adapter plate and gear driven starter are already in the car.

You might be able to do it independantly for less, but you need to consider each of those changes.

Maybe one of the other V8 converters can come up with a different list of suggested modifications to make the 930 work in a 914.

Eric
+Quote Post
Colicious
post Jan 12 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #13

how much is renegade's v8 conversion price (for the engine, not the transmission)? is there any other companies? this is startin to be way more expensive than i planned...
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jan 12 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Look for the Audi 5000 turbo tranny. Do a search on the net. Some of the kit car guys like them.
http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmi...i-915/index.asp
http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmi...n/5000/5000.asp
http://webpages.charter.net/jims80/M6B-GT/...nginetrans.html

There is a company that makes a tranny for sand rails that is really awesome. Little spendy but they can handle 600+.
http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/MD5.php
+Quote Post
-JR-
post Jan 25 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #15

Life goes faster at 150MPH

Member No.: 2,055

Brett I think you've nailed it!

I've been looking for a way to put a 3.2 in a 914 and not spend more on a trans then I have on the engine!

That Audi 5000S or CS 2wd trans looks like the ticket. I've done some reading and apparently they are ideal if you are running under 300HP and a stock 3.2 turns out about 220HP if memory serves and close to that for torque.

The Audi trans is also shorter overall then the 915 too. It has side shifter points as well.

A real bonus is they can be had for $500 for a nice one.

A downer is that is seems you will have to fab your own flywheel / clutch assembly as well as the shifter mechanism.

But considering you can spend $6500 plus, on a tricked out 915 that will be good for only slightly more power.

For me I have lots of time on my hands with not as much $$ in my hands. So if you have the $$ I'd still recommend the 915 or G50 installations But the Audi trans seems to be a much better solution, at first glance, then the Porsche transmissions if you are running big power.

Oh and before someone butt’s in and says that you can run a 901 on a 3.2, I'd like to seem them with slicks on in first gear launching their car off a starting line at full bore! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif) I don't want to have to worry that if I make a mistake with the clutch or shift or dump too much throttle into it, that I'm going to pop the trans.

That's my two cents...
I'll update it to three once I have a chance to look one of these Audi trans' in the input shaft!

-JR-
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 26 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #16

914 Freak!

A downer is that is seems you will have to fab your own flywheel / clutch assembly as well as the shifter mechanism.

don't forget the custom adapter plate you will need to mate the engine to the transmission......

the plus side to this is that if it works out well, you'll be the 1st and you can offer "kits" or plans to help offset your initial costs (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 26 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #17

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

talking audi...

what specific tranny would i ask for at a junk yard...

Is there a better or worse one...

Anyone know of a place online to get some specs for audi trannies???

Rich
+Quote Post
-JR-
post Jan 26 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 25 2005, 10:02 PM)
don't forget the custom adapter plate you will need to mate the engine to the transmission......

the plus side to this is that if it works out well, you'll be the 1st and you can offer "kits" or plans to help offset your initial costs (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

This is true! A mounting plate is probably the LEAST of the worries I think. Ha ha... I checked out a site where they were mounting one of these trans' behind a hopped up 350 and it seemed pretty straight forward fabricating that plate.

I have an "in" with one of the local german autowreckers who just happends to have stacks of those tranmissions.

Don't have a 3.2 yet to do any case to bell housing compairisons with, yet! Once I fix the 4 banger for my 914 I'm going to sell my BMW and that should more then finance me a 3.2L engine. Come to think of it he does have a G50, I could compair the bell housings in the mean time.

You can bet I'll be trying to figure it out though! I think I might go down there this week and check out the trans to see if it has potential for use in a 914. The instances I've seen it used in have been replica Lamborgini cars.

Let you know how it goes.

-JR-
+Quote Post
-JR-
post Jan 26 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #19

talking audi...

what specific tranny would i ask for at a junk yard...

Is there a better or worse one...

Anyone know of a place online to get some specs for audi trannies???

Rich

Well from what I can tell initially...

1983 thru 1988 Audi 100/200/5000/9000 models:
AAZ / 3V “016” models are the preferred transaxle

Audi AAZ serial number prefix…“016 Model
GEAR RATIOS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th REV Diff Ratio Speedo
3.60 2.13 1.46 1.07 0.86 3.50 3.89 0.52

Audi 3V serial number prefix… “016” Model
GEAR RATIOS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th REV Diff Ratio Speedo
3.60 2.13 1.46 1.07 0.83 3.50 3.89 0.52

Audi Trans Gear Speeds “mph” AAZ (@ 6500 rpm)
GEAR RATIOS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
33 60 91 122 168

Audi Trans Gear Speeds “mph” 3V (@ 6500 rpm)
GEAR RATIOS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
33 60 91 122 171

The last two trans cases are also upgradable to a 6 speed box!

Uh ho... Just hit the first "snag". Just look at the photo image of the trans. The starter is mounted into the bell housing from the engine side and NOT the transmission side like on a 914. Well no one said it couldn't be fun right?(IMG:http://www.jamesrenfrew.com/ftp/incoming/Temp/Model%2016%20Audi%20Trans.jpg)

-JR-
+Quote Post
John
post Jan 26 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #20

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Don't have a 3.2 yet to do any case to bell housing compairisons with, yet!

You shouldn't need one at least at first. Since the 901 that you have now will "bolt" up to the 3.2 (without the flywheel sensors in place), you could potentially use either the 901 or your TIV case to "test" the fit of whatever transmission you choose.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:33 AM