Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmissions
balthazar
post Jan 26 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #21

P-car junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 464

QUOTE (Colicious @ Jan 12 2005, 05:52 PM)
this is startin to be way more expensive than i planned...

MUHAHAHAHA! Get out now while you are still having those rational thoughts! It's too late for the rest of us! Go buy a corvette or something... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 26 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #22

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (Colicious @ Jan 12 2005, 05:52 PM)
how much is renegade's v8 conversion price (for the engine, not the transmission)? is there any other companies? this is startin to be way more expensive than i planned...

Engine swaps where you're tripling the power of the stock car are almost never cheap. Andyrew on this board managed to do one on a high-schooler's income, so it is possible. Most of the conversions I've seen weren't going to win any concours competitions, which is mostly a sign of the owners spending the dosh on the important bits that can't be seen, not on the cosmetic bits (not up front, anyway). Duplicating something like Renegade's show car would easily cost as much as a new BMW.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 26 2005, 01:35 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I think the subaru swaps are going to be the most cost effecient swaps for the DIY guys...mostly due to not as many custom parts needed which drive up the cost of the swaps...

when someone starts using the subaru engine AND the subaru engine
(or audi 1.8t and transmissions like Sonu has), the cost of the swaps will come down even more and will be easier and more accesible for most people.

anyone notice how the bellhousing on the audi FWD gearbox above looks just like the mating surface of this standard Boxster bellhousing posted below?

I looked at a Boxster S 6-speed transmission over the weekend, it does NOT have the extra holes or even the "hump" for the starter on the side like the early 5 speed transmissions have...Porsche must have decided to have new castings made just for the newer transmissions. wonder how alike they are to the 996/997 6-speeds??

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 26 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #24

neo life

Member No.: 159

[/QUOTE]notice how the bellhousing on the audi FWD gearbox above looks just like the mating surface of this standard Boxster bellhousing posted below[QUOTE]

Are you saying the early Boxster and "S" have different bolt patterns? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) I just bought an Audi 2.7tt and std Boxster tranny with the notion of upgrading to "S" later...
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 26 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #25

neo life

Member No.: 159

Duplicating something like Renegade's show car would easily cost as much as a new BMW.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Which BMW were you thinking? A couple of years ago when they were planning to sell Peal, they itemized $55k spent in parts, no labor. They have since rebuilt the engine, added a cage, etc...
Conversely, I believe Marks914 has done a very clean conversion for ~$7k in car and parts.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 26 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Are you saying the early Boxster and "S" have different bolt patterns?  I just bought an Audi 2.7tt and std Boxster tranny with the notion of upgrading to "S" later...

I'd guess that the engines share the same bolt-pattern, the question is, does the Audi 2.7tt share the same bolt-pattern as the Boxster?

congrats on the purchase, that should be an awesome combo (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:22 PM