Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: 2.0 four muffler: Coolest I've seen, Best looking and best sounding four muffler?
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 18 2014, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

ITEM IS SOLD to Wes—what a cool dude and easy transaction!

Thanks for your interest!

Everyone's got an opinion, but this is my favorite 914-4 muffler of all time. I'm only selling it because I am converting my 914 to a six.

I've seen just three of these in 20+ years: This one, one in photos, and one in person on a 1975 or 1976 914. I don't know who made them, but Jim over at EASY seemed pretty sure it's an Abarth and it does look like their stuff. Whatever it is, the quality is impressive—it is very hard to believe this is a custom-fabbed piece.

The Good:
-Sounds great, low and nicely tuned. No drone. Sounds so good I would have sacrificed power in a hot Type IV build to keep this muffler.
-Chrome tips are nice except bottoms (see "The Bad")
-Fit and worked perfectly with 2.0 SSIs
-Easily passes the screwdriver test and feels like its metal is sufficiently thick and in great shape. While I high-temp rattle-canned it black again recently, it wouldn't be hard to clean this up very nicely from what I can see.

The Bad:
-Bottoms of chrome tips are scraped, presumably from going up driveways straight on as the rear wheels bottom in the gutter (not in my time...was like this when I bought it in 1991~). This would be harder to fix, but never bothered me much on the car. You just don't focus on it. At least, I didn't.

Summary:Attached Image
If you want that 911 sport muffler look for your 914-4, and want a nice, throaty but not obnoxious sound, this is a great muffler.

Sold as is, where is. Would prefer local sale.
Price: $400

More pics from when I was trying to figure out what it is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=muffler

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wes
post Apr 19 2014, 01:43 AM
Post #2

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

PM sent!
+Quote Post
Sea Dragon 914
post Apr 19 2014, 10:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 358

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 18 2014, 09:33 PM) *

Everyone's got an opinion, but this is my favorite 914-4 muffler of all time. I'm only selling it because I am converting my 914 to a six.

I've seen just three of these in 20+ years: This one, one in photos, and one in person on a 1975 or 1976 914. I don't know who made them, but Jim over at EASY seemed pretty sure it's an Abarth and it does look like their stuff. Whatever it is, the quality is impressive—it is very hard to believe this is a custom-fabbed piece.

The Good:
-Sounds great, low and nicely tuned. No drone. Sounds so good I would have sacrificed power in a hot Type IV build to keep this muffler.
-Chrome tips are nice except bottoms (see "The Bad")
-Fit and worked perfectly with 2.0 SSIs
-Easily passes the screwdriver test and feels like its metal is sufficiently thick and in great shape. While I high-temp rattle-canned it black again recently, it wouldn't be hard to clean this up very nicely from what I can see.

The Bad:
-Bottoms of chrome tips are scraped, presumably from going up driveways straight on as the rear wheels bottom in the gutter (not in my time...was like this when I bought it in 1991~). This would be harder to fix, but never bothered me much on the car. You just don't focus on it. At least, I didn't.

Summary:Attached Image
If you want that 911 sport muffler look for your 914-4, and want a nice, throaty but not obnoxious sound, this is a great muffler.

Sold as is, where is. Would prefer local sale.
Price: $400

More pics from when I was trying to figure out what it is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=muffler

I'm interested if previous poster doesn't buy.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 19 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Sale pending. Will update thread if sold.

Thanks for all the interest!

pete
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 21 2014, 11:44 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I don't think that's an Abarth.

AFAIK & IIRC - the 70's-80's Abarth 914 Mufflers had dual twin pipes (4 total) with the chromed ends cut at a +/- 45-60 degree angle.

This is something else, but looks to be based on the Porsche racing 914-6'sM471s/GTs that a member in the SF Bay area custome fabbed, but his was made from a OEM "Banana" muffler with the 2 centered pipes.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
c12croft
post Apr 21 2014, 05:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,331

Seems as low to the ground as the Ansa, Monza 4-tipped models. Remarkable shape for its age. Great buy.
+Quote Post
wes
post Apr 21 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #7

wes

Member No.: 8,436

I think it's going to look great on my car!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 21 2014, 06:53 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(wes @ Apr 21 2014, 08:22 PM) *

I think it's going to look great on my car!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Probably the coolest exhaust i've ever seen for a 914-4
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:53 PM