Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Final tasks before she STARTS!, heating parts and ductwork
Natedog
post Jan 12 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,265

Howdy folks -
I'm working on a "short list" of things to do before I fire her up for the first time!

This is about heating and such....
Need two parts:
1. "Cover for warm air guide" as in Figure 1.2 item # 18 page 14, in Haynes. Need one for DRIVERS side. It's a little plate that helps secure the duct.
2. "Connection pipe" as in Figure 1.11 item # 1 page ??, in Haynes. Need one for DRIVERS side. Though I could probably fix the one I have. It's a J shaped air pipe that goes up.

One question:
I'd like to have good heat in the cab. I plan on using the 914 year round. Why not? I live in Colorado - it's nice here. I'm also a fan of having all the duct work in it's proper place. The cars are air-cooled after all.
So - there's a blower fan that mounts above the engine and blows air through the tubes, the "connection pipe" mentioned above. The fan I have only has ONE exhaust port. Shouldn't there be one towards each side (L/R)?? Is my fan the wrong part # 914 572 011.0 ?? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

And even if the fan gets sorted out and does it thing - doesn't the main engine pully fan blow enough air for to provide heat in the cab? Is the blower fan an auxillary fan for heat? I'm confused?!?!? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

I'm also posting about pluming the fuel line.....

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP OUT THERE!!!!
CHEERS!!
Nate
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jan 13 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

As a self proclaimed heat expert. I may be able to help with the last questions. The auxillary blower fan in the engine compartment is to blow air into the heat exchangers while the engine is idling. early blowers have two exits and the unit mounts near middle front on the fan housing. the late unit mounts on the drivers side under the relay board.

Either fan unit must have flapper plates to allow air to flow one way. The late fan should have a "Y" outlet splitting the large square into 2 round outlets which hoses attach to. There are also two flapper pieces at the oulets of the engine driven fan.

I also have had problems finding (actually buying) the warm air guides. I took a whack at making some, turned out OK.

Shoot me a PM if you still need a drivers side tube. I'll look tonight. $1,000.000.00
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 13 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

70-72 cars had heater blowers with two outlets, mounted to the top of the fan shroud.
73-74 cars moved the fan to the left side of the engine bay, and changed it to a single outlet. The passenger's side "J-tube" was capped off.
75-76 cars used the 73-74 type blower, but had a Y-shaped adaptor fitted to the single outlet.

--DD
+Quote Post
Natedog
post Jan 13 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the info and tips....

So if that blower is only for moving air while at idle, can I just NOT install the blower?
I'll still get heat while moving right?
Given that I have a '73 914 I can go ahead and cap off the passenger J tube. Can I also cap the driver side J tube? All without compromising the air flow for engine cooling....????

I think I'll try to fabricate a simple "cover for the warm air guide". It's just a little plate anyhow. I can bend up piece of metal and bolt it on. That'll work....

Cheers,
Nate
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 13 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

you don't "need" the aux fan. cap the j-tubes. go to the hardware store and buy 2 rubber pipe caps.

kevin
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 13 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

I think spray-paint caps will work, too!

The heater blower actually does move some air even when the engine is not at idle, but the cooling fan seems to move more. The blower is invaluable for clearing the windshield on cold mornings! It's no fun to sit there at 2500 RPM in the driveway for five minutes....

--DD
+Quote Post
Natedog
post Jan 13 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #7

[QUOTE]It's no fun to sit there at 2500 RPM in the driveway for five minutes....

Yeah - that's the way it is in my Squareback!

I'll see if I can get the fan to work but I won't spend too much time on it right now.

Thanks,
Nate
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Jan 13 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Gary#

Member No.: 421

On those frosty mornings - when you need to use a towel to "help" clear the inside of the windshield - over & over & over 'til da engine comes up to temp, your halfway to work with your head out the window, & then finally the defroster comes to life - go get an electric heater & plug it in.
They're available for cheap.
I'm an ex-spurt- So. Cal. winters are brutal. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 13 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #9

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Go Nate!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 13 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (Natedog @ Jan 13 2005, 11:13 AM)
So if that blower is only for moving air while at idle

i thought you said:

"I'd like to have good heat in the cab."

if that is the case, the NO, don't cap the j-tubes.
no, don't run without a blower.
no, it won't give you enough heat without the blower.
no, the blower is *not* just for idle.

now, if i read your post wrong and you *don't* want heat, then do all what was suggested above ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 14 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i park my car in a garage=no frost.
my system is sealed nicely.
i don't have an aux fan, i get heat.
my j-tubes are capped i get heat.
my interior will get so warm, when the red lever on the console is pulled up, you have to open the window.
if you send me your collector quality vinyl records, and i put them near the underdash vents they will warp.
+Quote Post
Natedog
post Jan 14 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #12

Well - for now I'm gonna skip the blower motor and cap the J tubes. I'm hell bent on getting it up and running!!!

My old 76 VW bus had one of those blower motors. But it was essential given that the bus is like 100 feet long!!!

Cheers,
Nate
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Jan 14 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #13

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

It's not like it would be tough to find a good aux fan and install it when you get the time. For now, if you want to get the thing running, just cap off the J tubes and drive it. If you need more heat, then find a good blower and some hose. It sould take all of 15 minutes to install, and I'm sure you could find a good used one for cheap on here.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 14 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #14

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Jan 14 2005, 09:54 AM)
It sould take all of 15 minutes to install, and I'm sure you could find a good used one for cheap on here.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) that's one of the easier tasks on a 914! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

and it makes a hell of a difference, heat-wise. i had the dual fan and it would be sauna-hot inside even on those cold CA mornings.
now i have the j-tubes removed, no blower, and i have to drive around for 30 minutes to get a "hint" of warm ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Natedog
post Jan 14 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #15

Well I guess I should keep this task on the list. If all you guys out in California are using the the blower for heat, I surely need it here in Colorado! It was a whooping 7 degrees this morning at 9:00 AM!!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 04:26 AM