Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Braker 19., I mean Brakes on the 914
Teknon
post Jan 13 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #1

The more I learn the dumber i think I am

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,505
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ok the 914 brake master cylinder is 17mm. A nice upgrade is to the 19mm. I read somewhere (I'm looking for again) that the 23 mm mc can also fit and work. I saw a BMW M3 mc that looks exactly alike. Does that fit. And for what reason can't a mc from any car, so to speak, work.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 13 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #2

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

From what I understand, you're not going to gain anything braking performance wise by upgrading the mc alone. You'll end up with less pedal travel, but it won't stop any better unless you upgrade the caliper's as well.

I've gone with a 19mm mc, 320i front brakes, and swapped out the stock prop. valve with a tee for the (stock) rears. I've heard as many good things as bad about this setup (after I already bought all of the parts (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) ). I'll have to wait and see for myself.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 13 2005, 02:00 AM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

An MC with a different bore will change the "feel" of the brakes, but nothing else. All else equal, a smaller MC will give more pedal travel and less pedal force for the same amount of force at the caliper. A larger MC will give less pedal travel and require more force at the pedal. Some people like the harder pedal the 19mm MC gives, so some consider it an upgrade. A 23mm MC with the stock calipers will require you to push VERY hard on the pedal to get much braking force.

This is all relative to the caliper piston area, so if you fit calipers with larger pistons (or more smaller pistons, just so the total area adds up to more than you have now), then it's like fitting a smaller MC. You get more braking for a given pedal force, but you have to push the pedal farther to get it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 08:49 PM