Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Won't idle below 1500, SOLVED
barebrad
post Apr 23 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,382
Region Association: South East States

Ok Guys and Gals!

I have a '73 2.0 with a Weber/Redline 32/36DGEV. (I know a single carb sucks, but this is a car my teenage son and I have been building for him. He needs to start buying parts.) My problem is that I can't get it to idle below 1500. If I slowly lower the idle, the engine just dies. I'm thinking my idle jet is too big or small. Recommended size? I have no vacuum lines hooked up either. Timing is spot on as well. What else should I look at????

So, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Little help!

SOLVED: r_towle wins the chicken dinner! Fuel mixture screw was ALL the way in. purrs like a kitten now. THANKS TO ALL.

The group on this forum is GREAT! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 23 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Hi Brad,
High idle with carbs is almost always linkage or throttle plate related. A "too big" idle jet will only cause the car to run pig rich, not increase the actual idle itself.

You've done the correct steps by verifying timing first. Now I would double check the linkage to see if it's hanging up. Then check the secondary throttle body to make sure it's closing all the way. You can manually close that plate by pulling on the small lever attached to the main accelerator cable bracket.

Also, make sure that the vacuum ports are plugged. The 32/36 has a small vacuum nipple on one side of the carb and must be plugged in order to keep unmetered air from entering below the carb, which will increase the idle.

Report back after that. If the idle is still high, you'll need to pull the carb off and visually inspect the throttle plates to make sure they're closing all the way.
+Quote Post
RonnieJ
post Apr 23 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #3

RonnieJ

Member No.: 829
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(barebrad @ Apr 23 2014, 01:24 PM) *

Ok Guys and Gals!

I have a '73 2.0 with a Weber/Redline 32/36DGEV. (I know a single carb sucks, but this is a car my teenage son and I have been building for him. He needs to start buying parts.) My problem is that I can't get it to idle below 1500. If I slowly lower the idle, the engine just dies. I'm thinking my idle jet is too big or small. Recommended size? I have no vacuum lines hooked up either. Timing is spot on as well. What else should I look at????

So, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Little help!

Run a 55 in the primary. Turn the idle jet in till it starts to stumble and then back out to best lean condition and then adjust your idle. I ran a single carb and was about 1 1/2 turns out on primary.
+Quote Post
RonnieJ
post Apr 23 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #4

RonnieJ

Member No.: 829
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 23 2014, 01:32 PM) *

Hi Brad,
High idle with carbs is almost always linkage or throttle plate related. A "too big" idle jet will only cause the car to run pig rich, not increase the actual idle itself.

You've done the correct steps by verifying timing first. Now I would double check the linkage to see if it's hanging up. Then check the secondary throttle body to make sure it's closing all the way. You can manually close that plate by pulling on the small lever attached to the main accelerator cable bracket.

Also, make sure that the vacuum ports are plugged. The 32/36 has a small vacuum nipple on one side of the carb and must be plugged in order to keep unmetered air from entering below the carb, which will increase the idle.

Report back after that. If the idle is still high, you'll need to pull the carb off and visually inspect the throttle plates to make sure they're closing all the way.

Good catch...I forgot about the vacuum port, I had mine connected to the the vacuum canister on the distributor.
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Apr 23 2014, 11:55 AM
Post #5

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You mentioned the timing, but did you check the point gap?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 23 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Timing
Sticky advance plates in the distributor
Vacuum leak
Carb linkage
To rich, flooding at lower idle.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:28 AM