Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping Steelies, Best way to package/transport?
kmwvmarip
post Apr 28 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #1

Karl M.

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,354
Region Association: Central California

Car: 71 1.7

Here is the deal. Two years ago my dad gave me his 914. It has always been garaged and is quite unmolested and has been well taken care of. It has been used but treated like a garage queen. Always garaged, never driven in the rain, etc... but yes, there is some hell hole damage under the battery tray.

My dad drove the car on a flatbed trailer with the car and as many parts as he could haul out from the east to the west coast.

The question (s): In his barn he has the original steel wheels. They are likely in pristine condition. They are the type with the dog dish hub caps, which are also original w/o a scratch.

1. Is it worth shipping them from West Virginia to California? (I know that this answer will vary depending on prices of good condition original steelies and the value of having the original parts on the car and what I want the end product to be.)

2. What methods have people used to ship wheels? Boxed individually? Together in bulk? How do you handle this awkward shipment?

3. How much does does this sort of shipment typically cost and with what shipper, UPS, etc?

4. What tire sizes are accommodated with steelies?

Thanks in advance. I prefer the looks of 2.0 Fuchs but getting the scratch together would tough to justify.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
flippa
post Apr 28 2014, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

I sold a set of fake fuch rims a few years ago. Iwent to a local tire shop and got a few empty from them. They had a pile of them from the new rims they sell.

I was able to package two rims per box & shipped them FedEX for around $45 per box to CA.

I personally like the look of the steeliness on a stock car. My frost car was a 1970 with those rims.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 28 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Good advice. Get a couple of boxes for wide wheels and put 2 steelies, with the hubcaps installed, into each box with a few layers of cardboard between and around them. Use a buncha good quality packing tape to join the 2 boxes, then put 'em on the bus. Pretty fast, pretty cheap.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 28 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #4

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Check the weight of one wheel. Some shippers limit weight to residential to $75 pounds. I would put two wheels to a box. I have sent four in individual wheel boxes taped together and they have managed to break them apart and loose a wheel (twice). Check Greyhound Freight Express. They used to be cheap. Figure about $1 a pound as a good rate coast to coast.

Bruce
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 28 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My steelies are similar with the semi circle hub caps. On a bathroom scale they weigh 20lbs each. If yours are in good condition, they are keepers. I ship a lot of stuff USPS but when I took wheels to my old shop with a fed ex commercial account, the shipping was 2/3 the price to send out 6 wheels. So if you know someone with an account, box them up and ship them out.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 28 2014, 07:10 PM
Post #6

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

If they are as pristine as you think, it's worth the cost. Great steelies with great caps are not easy to come by. Yep, foot the bill.
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Apr 28 2014, 11:09 PM
Post #7

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 28 2014, 10:10 PM) *

If they are as pristine as you think, it's worth the cost. Great steelies with great caps are not easy to come by. Yep, foot the bill.

I totally agree. And they will be original to that car too.

Important some day to keep them all together. And the less there are surviving of these great little cars, the more important it is to do the right thing.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 29 2014, 08:39 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

agreed on the wheel boxes from a tire center local to you. boxes for 17" (boxes for wheels 15" can be harder to find) will make for a good fit. 2 wheels per box and ship them separately. taping the boxes together will make for a hard to handle item. it should run $35 to 40ish per via the USPS. shipping via greyhound is not the bargain it used to be. if the wheels are in as good of shape as you believe them to be they're worth more than the cost of shipping.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 01:42 AM