Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to Autocross
Jon H.
post Apr 30 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,264
Region Association: Canada

After looking a the local autocross club's classing rules and with my mods (wheels/suspension/weight) I will be placed in the class with the vehicles below: (I have a stock 2.0l 4cyl)

Audi R8, BMW 325 M-Technic, BMW M3 Lightweight, BMW Z8, Callaway Corvette, Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C6 chassis) ('09-10), Dodge Viper ('08-09), Dodge Viper (NOC), Ferrari (NOC), Ferrari 355 & 360, Ford GT, Ford Mustang Boss 302, Laguna Seca (2012), Ford Mustang Cobra R, Lamborghini (NOC), Lotus Elan M100, Lotus Elise SC ('08-10), Lotus Exige S & S/C ('06-10), Lotus Sport Elise ('06), Nissan GT-R ('09-10), Porsche 911 GT2 ('02-05), Porsche 911 GT3 & GT3 RS (997chassis), Porsche 911 Turbo AWD, Porsche 996 Turbo, Saleen Mustang S/C

Will my lack of power be an issue or does it come down to the driver? (really though a Lambroghini!)

Regards

Jon
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Apr 30 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

What's the class? My "stock" 914-4 (also a 2.0 liter) was CS.
With my modifications, I'm now DP.
Know that I regularly beat newer cars all the time. Just go out and have fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Apr 30 2014, 11:30 AM
Post #3

I will be doing it just for fun but considering it's my first event it is somewhat intimidating. A mainly stock 914 against a stock Lambo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I will be placed in the 'A' class up here in Canada. The base class is 'C'. Not sure the classing is the same as down there? I'm sure it's different. I am looking forward to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Jon
+Quote Post
Randal
post Apr 30 2014, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Jon H. @ Apr 30 2014, 09:28 AM) *

After looking a the local autocross club's classing rules and with my mods (wheels/suspension/weight) I will be placed in the class with the vehicles below: (I have a stock 2.0l 4cyl)

Audi R8, BMW 325 M-Technic, BMW M3 Lightweight, BMW Z8, Callaway Corvette, Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C6 chassis) ('09-10), Dodge Viper ('08-09), Dodge Viper (NOC), Ferrari (NOC), Ferrari 355 & 360, Ford GT, Ford Mustang Boss 302, Laguna Seca (2012), Ford Mustang Cobra R, Lamborghini (NOC), Lotus Elan M100, Lotus Elise SC ('08-10), Lotus Exige S & S/C ('06-10), Lotus Sport Elise ('06), Nissan GT-R ('09-10), Porsche 911 GT2 ('02-05), Porsche 911 GT3 & GT3 RS (997chassis), Porsche 911 Turbo AWD, Porsche 996 Turbo, Saleen Mustang S/C

Will my lack of power be an issue or does it come down to the driver? (really though a Lambroghini!)

Regards

Jon

Tell us about your driving experience?
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 30 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 255
Region Association: Southwest Region

Most of those cars will never show up and if they do they're not likely to be driven in anger. On a tight autocross course a well setup 914 will be tough to beat.
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Apr 30 2014, 03:03 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 30 2014, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Jon H. @ Apr 30 2014, 09:28 AM) *

Regards

Jon

Tell us about your driving experience?

I have never done any autocross before. I can drive a mean go- cart though! My car does hammer around the corners. It's just the lack of power I'm concerned about. It does seem to be a well sort auto-x car otherwise. Here's the car when it had a six. http://redesignresearch.com/reblog.htm
It also has gt style tune re-inforcement and Toyo RA1 tires. It's gonna be fun!
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 30 2014, 03:17 PM
Post #7

That's pretty stiff on the front with 23mm torsion bars and 21mm sway bar. What spring rate are you running on the rear?
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Apr 30 2014, 03:28 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 30 2014, 01:17 PM) *

That's pretty stiff on the front with 23mm torsion bars and 21mm sway bar. What spring rate are you running on the rear?

Not too sure off hand, I'll have to go through the cars history log and see. I have a folder filled with receipts and records of all the mods since the guy built the car. I'll have look in a bit. The car is wickedly stiff. I did buy this car for parts for my other build but I figured I'd throw my engine in and run it, now I'm not sure if I wanna strip it. Worst case is I end with two cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 30 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Depending on the brand of spring they should have the spring rate noted somewhere. Hypercoil etches the spring rate on one end of the spring...you'll need to remove it to see though. Eibach stencils a spring rate code on the side of the spring that is pretty easy to decipher. What color are the rear springs?
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Apr 30 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 30 2014, 02:09 PM) *

Depending on the brand of spring they should have the spring rate noted somewhere. Hypercoil etches the spring rate on one end of the spring...you'll need to remove it to see though. Eibach stencils a spring rate code on the side of the spring that is pretty easy to decipher. What color are the rear springs?

Rears are 165 lbs. progressive rate. Thats from the paper work I have, and their
black.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Apr 30 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #11

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

I'd advise showing up as early as possible to the event to ensure you can get your 914 to pass tech inspection, walk the course, and meet up w an instructor if they offer. All are important ways to ensure the best day, you have fun, and be safe.

Well prepared 914s have beaten most of the cars on your list at an autocross, especially when it's the first time they've raced 'em (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I've also had lots of interesting tech inspection experiences, most of which resulted in 10 minutes of wrenching followed by passing tech and a fun day of racin. Once I got some custom magnetic race decals for letting someone borrow my jack stands and tools to fix their 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post Apr 30 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 30 2014, 05:05 PM) *

I'd advise showing up as early as possible to the event to ensure you can get your 914 to pass tech inspection, walk the course, and meet up w an instructor if they offer. All are important ways to ensure the best day, you have fun, and be safe.

Well prepared 914s have beaten most of the cars on your list at an autocross, especially when it's the first time they've raced 'em (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I've also had lots of interesting tech inspection experiences, most of which resulted in 10 minutes of wrenching followed by passing tech and a fun day of racin. Once I got some custom magnetic race decals for letting someone borrow my jack stands and tools to fix their 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the advice, I will heed it!
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 30 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #13

Rears are 165 lbs. progressive rate. Thats from the paper work I have, and their
black.

I wouldn't change anything now, just go have fun. My guess is that ultimately you'll find this setup too stiff on the front and you'll deal with understeer issues when you really push the car. Not a big deal to change at some point and certainly every driver is a bit different in what they want for a setup. Autocross is all about getting the car to turn in/point so you'll really want it at least neutral to mildly loose. 914-4 is a momentum car...your setup needs to allow you to get on the power early. Like I said earlier, just have fun right now and learn your car.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 30 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #14

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 30 2014, 09:17 PM) *

black.

I wouldn't change anything now, just go have fun. My guess is that ultimately you'll find this setup too stiff on the front and you'll deal with understeer issues when you really push the car. Not a big deal to change at some point and certainly every driver is a bit different in what they want for a setup. Autocross is all about getting the car to turn in/point so you'll really want it at least neutral to mildly loose. 914-4 is a momentum car...your setup needs to allow you to get on the power early. Like I said earlier, just have fun right now and learn your car.

That's some good advice right there. 23 mm torsion bars are huge on an autocross 914. Don't worry about winning your first event. Go out there and have fun. That's what its all about anyways. After you get an event or two under your belt then you can start changing the car.

Thread hijack, Jason, I ordered some helper springs from you yesterday. Received them today. Thanks for the quick shipping and all the updates along the way. They showed up a day earlier than I expected.
Jon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Paragon
post May 1 2014, 06:02 AM
Post #15

Thread hijack, Jason, I ordered some helper springs from you yesterday. Received them today. Thanks for the quick shipping and all the updates along the way. They showed up a day earlier than I expected.
Jon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Great, I appreciate the feedback!

Now, who remembers "Autocrossing in the Fastlane" featuring a 914 tested in stock form and then after installation of Koni's, springs, torsion bars and sway bar. It featured a young and upcoming stud driver (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 1 2014, 08:37 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 30 2014, 07:17 PM) *

black.

Try to get an instructor to ride with you every time you can. That and seat time is what will get you up the learning curve. I've said this 100 times here on this site, but the best advice I ever got was from Rich Bontempi, who said just concentrate on seat time.

And by the way Bontempi has probably beat more big, fast, 4x more HP cars in SCCA competition, with his 914, than anyone else in the 914 world. He goes down to Laguna and drives his mostly stock Viper (another one of his toys) and does lap times in the 30's, so knows how to drive.
+Quote Post
Borderline
post May 1 2014, 09:23 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

The best advice I can give you is to get there early and walk the course.....a lot. You have to basically memorize it and learn there method of marking the course. It's hard to go fast if you don't know where you're going. It seems every club has a different way of setting up their courses. Some completely line the course with cones. Some use gates and pointer cones. Anyway, you have to figure out where you're supposed to go. Most will tell you to walk it alone so you can concentrate. Anyway, walk it as much as you can before you run. FWIW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh yeah, have fun!!
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 1 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Borderline @ May 1 2014, 08:23 AM) *

The best advice I can give you is to get there early and walk the course.....a lot. You have to basically memorize it and learn there method of marking the course. It's hard to go fast if you don't know where you're going. It seems every club has a different way of setting up their courses. Some completely line the course with cones. Some use gates and pointer cones. Anyway, you have to figure out where you're supposed to go. Most will tell you to walk it alone so you can concentrate. Anyway, walk it as much as you can before you run. FWIW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh yeah, have fun!!

Yup.

You shouldn't quit walking the course until you can play it back from memory. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
wobbletop
post May 1 2014, 10:34 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,335

Also, go for ride alongs. In my local club, most people are happy for the company and to talk about cars. That will give you an idea of how the course goes, and where the tricky spots are.
+Quote Post
Jon H.
post May 1 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #20

Thanks for all the advice, I am a little leery about trying to see the course with cones only. Like playing the old Atari game night rider. It's hard to see far out where your turns are going to be. I'll try and get there early, there is also a drivers school coming up that I will try and make it to.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 03:21 AM