Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Crazy idea, WTB, meet up with members
Dr Evil
post May 8 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Due to the dearth of transmission cores in my area, my very real need for a lot of them so that I can do my clinics and continue with inexpensive repair work, and the cost to ship transmissions, I am considering buying up piles of them in several locations all over the country and renting a truck to go pick them up in one big run. I can get 7 days off in a row from work, and this will take a bit to organize, but if it could work out I could also swing by and say "Hi" to a lot of you that I havent seen in a while or have not met.

Does this sound feasible? Any input to reduce cost and increase effectiveness is welcome. Also, if you have a hoard of cores, hit me up. I will buy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I wonder if I can time this around events?

PNW, SoCal, Australia - these parts are needed for your clinics! If I cant get more parts, I can still do clinics, but people will need to buy new parts and the cost will be more than double what I charge.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Cap'n Krusty
post May 8 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

My stuff went to a guy in San Diego County, I think. Maybe he can spare some of it ......... If you come to the left coast, I might be interested in helping drive west to east if I could get a cheap flight back to CA.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 8 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #3

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You'll save $$ and make the most of your time by flying to the West Coast, renting the truck there and zigzaging back across the country. Save the time and expense of a round trip.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 8 2014, 01:32 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Buy the trans, pay for shipping, stay home. You'll be worlds ahead. Send out a plastic container to the seller on your dime. You will still be way ahead.

If I come across some. They will be headed your way
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 8 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #5

If I pay for the core, then $100 for shipping each one, I am at over $1000 just for shipping if I can get 10. I am looking for more than 10, so the price only goes up incrementally. I already have a few hoards to clear out, 4 in CA, 4 3hrs south of me, and I know of members with substantial hoards that may sell if I show up and do the work. Shipping multiple boxes is a PITA for the best of us. Many area not interested in selling if it is at all an inconvenience. Evidence of that can be seen in the Omma Passu thread with buying and shipping a box to Finland. The seller wanted eye contact and cash in hand. This is becoming the norm. Hershey was a bust this year. Everyone wanted top dollar for shit. All boxes were "rebuilt" which is suspect given a cursory evaluation of the outside of all of them and the aged seals showing. Folks were asking $600+ for cores. They did not sell, needless to say. In 10-20 yrs they can get those prices, maybe, but many looked like they may not be around then. I managed to buy one, 1, uno, single box there and I had to barter to get the price below $300, which I will not pay for a core. I got it for my top price, but I was also able to open it up and look at the guts before purchase so I at least knew that I would break even (not gonna make a dime on that box, likely).

So, a round a bout with a north-west-south-east pattern may be too much. A zig zag pattern is a bit hard, too. If I can trade labor for assistance, I am game for that. My big push is not to make a million on this stuff. I want to improve the boxes function with research, and get as many rebuilt boxes in our cars as I can. That is why my prices are low. However, with the cost and labor of getting cores, I do not know how long I can keep that up. Clinics dry me out on parts. I like doing them and people like going to them.

I may have to settle for fly out drive back and see if I can get most of the hoards warehoused along 40 or some main W-E artery.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post May 8 2014, 01:51 PM
Post #6

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

I would think if you can line up 20+ boxes and reduce the zig zag to get them, your plan seems to make a lot of sense.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 8 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #7

John, thanks for the kind offer. I will keep it under consideration depending on cost and how plans work out, if they do.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post May 8 2014, 02:14 PM
Post #8

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

Anyone on I-40 through Little Rock has to stop for coffee!!!
+Quote Post
Downunderman
post May 8 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

It would be nice to have you come down here Doc, but 914 boxes aren't real thick on the ground, and its a very long drive.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 8 2014, 02:42 PM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

That's a lot of driving. And your going to need a siphon hose (aka an Oklahoma Credit card) if you want to save some $$$ on this trip. Holler at me when you get here. I've got a bag of gears and a case. No dog teeth or syncro's.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 8 2014, 02:59 PM
Post #11

Howard, there is a clinic planned in Canberra for Aug. There is a thread on Pelican for it. I can give you the info it you need. This is all pending my ability to get the logistics and parts figured out. I need to ship all my stuff and that will cost, and what does not get sold/used will have to be shipped back (more $$) so I need to keep the excess to a minimum.

76-914, unfortunately I have no need for standard gears or cases. In 10 yrs of doing this I have sold 0 cases and I am flush with gears. Thanks for the offer, though. Everyone is very kind and it is why I like this place so much and always want to do more to make it even better.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post May 8 2014, 03:24 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,144

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 8 2014, 02:50 PM) *

Due to the dearth of transmission cores in my area, my very real need for a lot of them so that I can do my clinics and continue with inexpensive repair work, and the cost to ship transmissions, I am considering buying up piles of them in several locations all over the country and renting a truck to go pick them up in one big run. I can get 7 days off in a row from work, and this will take a bit to organize, but if it could work out I could also swing by and say "Hi" to a lot of you that I havent seen in a while or have not met.

Does this sound feasible? Any input to reduce cost and increase effectiveness is welcome. Also, if you have a hoard of cores, hit me up. I will buy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I wonder if I can time this around events?

PNW, SoCal, Australia - these parts are needed for your clinics! If I cant get more parts, I can still do clinics, but people will need to buy new parts and the cost will be more than double what I charge.

Idea-
If your gonna score Greggs hoard then why don't we contact Summitt Point and see if they would host a 914 day at the track as part of thier regular "Friday at the Track" program? If we could get some 5-10 teeners to participate I'm sure we could get a discount. I'll lend ya my darkside teener to cut laps with dood (and of course, room and board free fer the Doc).
Now that would be a serious cool event!
+Quote Post
914werke
post May 8 2014, 03:31 PM
Post #13

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

so it sounds like Hershey didnt even yield a tail cover?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R8CERX
post May 8 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #14

2014 New year resolution: To get along with Woody...

Member No.: 15,972

I got no gears nor cases- just a warm sofa coach if you care for a free stay and bad tasting coffee in the AM!! Temecula area in Cali - one hour away from everything including the local gambling places!

But mi-casa es su casa!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post May 8 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #15

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

A few years back I was looking at a cheap NX2000 in a city a few hundred miles away. Posted on Craiglist I needed a car moved and actually got a few good offers from guys that make frequent trips.

Or consider a minivan. Pull the seats, cheap hf tarp, cut a 4x8 for the floor to protect the inside and suck up oil. You could also use it to strap down the trannys. Would get better mileage and not too pricey if you go rent-a-wreck.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 8 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #16

Dave, you should set that up regardless of the transmissions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Rich, PM sent. I forgot that I did score one.

R8Certs - thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I have friends and family in SD, too as I am a native.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 8 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #17

Chris, best would be if the Damn Bus were running. I will try that route fist....doomed to fail? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 8 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

If we all went on a hunt and found you some, this could be a coordinated buy for you....there has to be hundreds of trannys (transmissions) in SoCal alone.....?
+Quote Post
Valy
post May 8 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

I think most trannys are in N.CA. San Francisco is full of them.
+Quote Post
balljoint
post May 8 2014, 05:46 PM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

I would leave the parts on the front step and then lock the door.

Srsly people.

Lock

The

Door

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:26 AM