Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should I buy this 914?, 914 novice seeking advice
pcarfan944
post Jan 15 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,451

QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 15 2005, 04:58 PM)
Run away! (I see light through that big hole.. that's a parts car for all but the most determined)

Which picture do you see a big hole with light? I've been trying to spot this.

Oh, I dunno if this means much but it was stated that major frame welding was done before it was stored to stiffen the frame.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jet1
post Jan 15 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,213
Region Association: North East States

I think he means pic #4. the area next to the engine should contain the battery tray and the side wall of the engine compartment. as it is shown it looks like someone cut the area out to replace it, but then never did. I would look for a car that needs less work. the frame repair may not be a good thing.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 15 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #23

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (pcarfan944 @ Jan 15 2005, 09:29 PM)

Which picture do you see a big hole with light? I've been trying to spot this.

Oh, I dunno if this means much but it was stated that major frame welding was done before it was stored to stiffen the frame.

Pic 4. At the bottom left of the big hole there looks to be a spot of light. I think the light is either coming from either the hole by the door latch plate or the one at the rear of the sill plate. Both are visible in the last pic.

There's alot of important suspension bits right below that whole area, and it the part you can see is that bad, the important stuff you can't is probably worse. I'm guessing the "stiffening" was done to repair damage under there. Search on this site for "suspension ear" "suspension console" "hell hole" and "DAPO" to see how poorly this area is repaired sometimes.
+Quote Post
pcarfan944
post Jan 15 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,451

Hmm... I see

Does anyone have a good picture of what this section of the car SHOULD look like, just so I can compare? I'll look around and try to find some, but maybe somebody can beat me to it.

I hope the seller isn't getting too fed up with all my questions. Although i'm probably the only one dumb enough to be interested in the car so they're probably just flattered that someone actually cares. I'll see if they can take more pictures, hopefully so we can see more details.

I do like the idea of using it for its parts and maybe finding a roller. Most 914s i've seen have very shoddy interiors and the interior parts on this look new compared to most, might be worth picking it up just for that.

So let's say I decide to buy it and strip it all out, and then try to fix the rust, how much work would that be? Probably more than it's worth otherwise more people would buy rusty examples I suppose.

This is a great group so far, thanks for all the help guys. If I do buy it you'll be seeing a lot more of me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 16 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 16 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #26

Here's one:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 16 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #27

And here's one with the battery tray and engine shelf removed. The brackety thing below on the left of the pic is the engine mount, and the one on the right is the suspension ear.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kenporacer
post Jan 16 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,432

How good are you with body work? Alot of time will be spent with this car to make it right. Cut this out weld that in, ect. If you like your 944 & are looking for some thing to play with a little on the side. Keep looking. The interior is inticing though.
E
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jan 16 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #29

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Picture #2 there is rust at the end of the 1/4 panel, just above the jack point. I'd want to look at the long under there to see how far the rust has gone.

Picture #4 As mentioned above. The parts to repair this area would cost almost as much as you are spending on the car.

Picture #6 The hole in the door sill combined with the missing metal in Pic #4 would leed me to believe that the long on that side is in very rough shape (if there at all)

Would I buy it? Yes at $500 it's worth it for the parts alone, but I have space to store it and the tools/ability to repair the rust.

There are some excelent threads here on rust replacement of just those areas, with step by step pictures of what others have done to save their cars.

So if you have space to store it, space to work on it, the tools to do the work and the drive to do it, you can aquire the knowledge to repair it.
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Jan 16 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #30

Gary#

Member No.: 421

QUOTE (jet1 @ Jan 15 2005, 08:49 PM)
I think he means pic #4. the area next to the engine should contain the battery tray and the side wall of the engine compartment. as it is shown it looks like someone cut the area out to replace it, but then never did. I would look for a car that needs less work. the frame repair may not be a good thing.

Looks like the po wanted the ppi to be a piece 'o cake. Even cut out the battery tray
to make it easy to inspect the suspension console. You can't ask for more than that!!!
Interior looks good. Offer 300.- & I'll gladly take the seats off your handz.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 12:01 AM