Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transaxle issue, Think I have a broken transaxle
david63
post May 26 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,653
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Looking for input here. Driving the 914-6 (3.0 w/side shift 901) this afternoon in 4th gear when I heard a "noise" or whine and smelled something "warm". Of course I slowed down and it did not occur again at low speeds. I was close to home so I got to the driveway and stopped to look into the problem. At this point the shifter would not move and when I let the clutch out it makes a unpleasant grinding noise. I had the wife steer and I pushed it into the garage.

A little background. The car has always had a little grind going into first and I noticed a little more "grind" than usual today if that means anything. I think it is serious because of the sound and odor thing. Possibly just a shifter thing? Probably not? Planning on pulling it and having it rebuilt most likely? Ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post May 26 2014, 05:11 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

sounds like you will be pulling the tranny and pulling the stack out of it.

get the dr evil tranny dvd
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 26 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #3

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well, first was going anyway. However, I would check your mounts. Your description is interesting. Inspect the external stuff first, but your box likely took a hit regardless.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 26 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

The clutch cable may be stretching. Before you go too far try to tighten the adjustment nut. If it works better, buy a new cable.
+Quote Post
david63
post Jun 15 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #5

Found the problem. When we got it up on the stand we noticed a "bump" in the back of the rear housing? When the rear cover was removed the gear shaft bolt fell out. It looks like that bolt backed out. It drove the speedo gear backwards and of course broke the bolt where the brass speedo part is attached. No other damage.

Cleaned up, replaced the rear housing (ouch, but the internal damage to the housing is pretty bad, will make a good race car housing but the speedo part is gone) install a new gear shaft bolt and tightened it to spec, replaced the speedo drive and new oil.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 15 2014, 04:56 PM
Post #6

Someone did not torque that bolt down. This is a common problem with people that dont want to go get the deep 30mm socket to do it right and try using things like air chisels and such (seen it more than a handful of times). If not torqued, you get what you have. That does not happen is correctly assembled. I hope you got some money back for that oversight. At least it wasnt worse, but that is clearly damage due to negligence.
+Quote Post
david63
post Jun 15 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #7

That is what my mechanic also said. I drove from Midland to Ft Worth (Benbrook actually) yesterday and he let me assist or observe anyway the tear down.

He knows the guy that built the trans and it was well done otherwise but sure is too bad about that bolt. Rich (the mechanic) did a through, showed me the "C" first gear and scrounged through all his stuff to replace the rear cover and reassemble the trans while I was there. Paid the piper and drove the 4.5 hrs back to Midland. Full day for sure can't beat the service. Hope all is well now.

While the car is out of service I went ahead and sent the rear calipers to PMB (passenger side had a small leak).

You know what happens when a 914 goes on jack stands

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 15 2014, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Nice HE/headers....better put them up before I find them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
david63
post Jun 15 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #9

Those "real 6" HE's are in fair to good shape.

With the 3.0 I really need a little bit larger exhaust some someday I may sell them.

Keep hearing that the B&B's that Patrick sells don't fit that well? Need some feedback? If I decide to sell the HEs will keep you in mind
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 15 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(david63 @ Jun 15 2014, 08:34 PM) *
Keep hearing that the B&B's that Patrick sells don't fit that well?

That's if you want to be generous....

--DD
+Quote Post
david63
post Jul 31 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #11

Transaxle back in the car. Can't really see from the picture but the rear calipers are off the car. The passenger side had a slow leak so off to PMB they went. Got them back today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Wow Eric does good work.

I posted a few pics of the car before the transaxle broke.

It is the nicest 914-6 I have had (and I think I have owned 6 or 7 including a real six).
Car has 3.0, Webers, Elephant suspension, S brakes front and 914-6 gt rears, perfect interior. Simple, clean and amazing.
I would like to get some professional shots done and post them. I know we cannot nominate ourselves for COTM so I want you all to see the car and I am curious to know if anyone thinks it could compete? Sorry for tooting my own horn as I understand lots of folks think their cars should be COTM.

Thanks,
David

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
david63
post Oct 23 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #12

Well I got the transaxle back in the car and now I think I have a new problem? Took it for a drive and there is now a whine in the gearbbox. Not too noticable under load but once I get into 4th I can hear it all the time. Did not have that whine before.

I changed the oil and there was a bit of metal in the oil, nothing to speak of on the magnet but considering the oil was fresh and I only drove the car around 10 miles I wonder if now that the gearset is properly torqued that may have changed the clearances?

I need a bit of guidance here... Time to take it out again and send it in?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 23 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #13

A whine that increases as gear increases is indicative of a lower, pinion, bearing in the intermediate plate going bad. This one has a steel cage so now pretty golden swarf like the cage on the upper bearing produces. Time to get it out and fix it right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 23 2014, 10:16 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(david63 @ Jul 31 2014, 07:56 PM) *

Transaxle back in the car. Can't really see from the picture but the rear calipers are off the car. The passenger side had a slow leak so off to PMB they went. Got them back today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Wow Eric does good work.

I posted a few pics of the car before the transaxle broke.

It is the nicest 914-6 I have had (and I think I have owned 6 or 7 including a real six).
Car has 3.0, Webers, Elephant suspension, S brakes front and 914-6 gt rears, perfect interior. Simple, clean and amazing.
I would like to get some professional shots done and post them. I know we cannot nominate ourselves for COTM so I want you all to see the car and I am curious to know if anyone thinks it could compete? Sorry for tooting my own horn as I understand lots of folks think their cars should be COTM.

Thanks,
David

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

I nominate David63's car for Car of the Month. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Ieee, like it!
+Quote Post
david63
post Oct 24 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #15

Dr Evil, I was afraid you would say that. I need to PM you with a couple of questions.

Want to thank Elliot for the kind words about the car. It is a beautiful 914-6 conversion. I know white does not pop like orange or green but when it is done right it is almost elegant. Would love to have it considered as a COTM car.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:41 AM