Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wrecked 1970 914-6 on the Samba $32K, 9140431862
914Sixer
post Jun 1 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Does this car belong to any one here? Shows to be in San Diego, CA. Says complete restoration before it was hit. Donor car that goes with it is a 75.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Jun 1 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,519
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 1 2014, 07:26 PM) *

Does this car belong to any one here? Shows to be in San Diego, CA. Says complete restoration before it was hit. Donor car that goes with it is a 75.

Saw it on craigslist also. Checked the vin in the database and find that it is not entered.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jun 1 2014, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,889

Belongs to a shop next to my nephews business. . I looked it over last week. . Hit EXTREMELY HARD in the front, IMHO front frame is not salvageable, cowl and windshield bent badly. . . fenders pushed back into doors and doors back into rear fenders. . all panels bent. .
Good part is it is a real six has correct engine and trans and has 'most' of the real six parts. . had repop rims, and evidence of lots of thick bondo broken loose under 2-3 paint jobs. .currently dark green. . the silver 75 that's included has issues also . .
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 1 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Got a link? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
siverson
post Jun 1 2014, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

Wow, that was it really heard.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/4498408781.html

Cracked the dash.

-Steve
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Jun 1 2014, 09:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,218

The Samba

Yeah, but The Samba has bigger pictures…
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 1 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah that thing got popped good. A '75 is not a good donor car for a real 6'er. The front trunk area is completely different due to the BBB's.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 1 2014, 10:16 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

75 is a crappy donor for the 6. The front trunk is all wrong, and you don't get the bumper you need to replace. The math is'nt right here. At least yet.
32k+ $15 in repairs and another 5k in parts, you get a totally reconstructed car for 50-53k, with a motor that may have been damaged if it was in gear when it hit.
Not much upside for the work that needs ot be done.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 1 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I would love to repair that car. I agree with Mark. The price is way out of whack for the extensive cost to repair. I think it's still tight at 20k plus the 75. Specially when we haven't seen the hell hole or longs. But you have to start someplace.

Sell the 75 as a driver and purchase a correct early donor car for the clip.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 1 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 2 2014, 02:14 AM
Post #11

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

could anybody read the paint code ...? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 2 2014, 04:59 AM
Post #12

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 2 2014, 12:16 AM) *

75 is a crappy donor for the 6. The front trunk is all wrong, and you don't get the bumper you need to replace. The math is'nt right here. At least yet.
32k+ $15 in repairs and another 5k in parts, you get a totally reconstructed car for 50-53k, with a motor that may have been damaged if it was in gear when it hit.

I see a LOT more money than that to get that car to where it needs to be!. The Front, Both Sides & PS Interior are FUBAR. Plus it's got a bunch of regular parts that need to be placed that are incorrect and a set of wheels.

I don't know what Rick would charge for his part, but it better be a lot more than $15k

In the end you get a car that has been in a Major Accident and that effects value. I wouldn't trust to drive it unless Rick rebuilt it!
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 2 2014, 05:50 AM
Post #13

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Lot 37, No reserve, beautifully restored 916-6

It's just an old car.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 2 2014, 07:23 AM
Post #14

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 2 2014, 05:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 2 2014, 12:16 AM) *

I see a LOT more money than that to get that car to where it needs to be!. The Front, Both Sides & PS Interior are FUBAR. Plus it's got a bunch of regular parts that need to be placed that are incorrect and a set of wheels.

I don't know what Rick would charge for his part, but it better be a lot more than $15k

In the end you get a car that has been in a Major Accident and that effects value. I wouldn't trust to drive it unless Rick rebuilt it!

Thanks for the compliment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) I can tell you that chassis is twisted bad. They complicated the repair already by cutting out the corner before relieving the stress. But with the correct approach and LOTS of parts the car can be as it was. The purchase price would really have to be right to start.

I don't think the word "totaled" applies to many of our 914's we see damaged these days. There was one recently in the classifieds that had a salvage title from 20 years ago with a repair cost like less than a couple grand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) 20 years ago? Ya. Today? No way!

Sure, some have no hope of being saved if run though a full on collision shop. But there are several guys on the forum that specialize in 914's now. Parts cars are getting harder to cut up as their value as a repaired car is coming up too. But hey when your talking sacrificing a 4 car for a 6... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jun 2 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,889

the picture actually looks good compared to seeing it in person. . the front end is not only pushed back, the whole front clip is also pushed over to the passengers side.. my best estimate is that the frame stress points under and behind the gas tank compressed and bent to the left an inch or so.
the cowl is buckled much more when seen in person and needs replacement. . adding up all the visible damage and estimating the issues not readily visible means to me you'd need another body and transfer all the parts over. . . way too many structural issues to straighten and be reliable.

Trying to estimate how this cars condition was prior to the accident leads me to believe it was a 35-45K car then. . . the accident exposed shortcuts on prior body work under the multiple layers of paint. . In the future this will be considered a cost worthy project as Six prices increase and real six parts get more rare. . but starting at 35K for this doesn't equate to a realistic project at today's costs.
I'd expect this has a salvage title, or should have if it was a proper insurance claim, and that drastically would reduce the cars ultimate resale value once rebuilt. Also had wrong rear bumper- late style in place. the guy that has it said the car came from New York, so I wonder about east coast type of rust issues also. .

The silver car had door gaps on the passengers side looking like sagging, and had an early trans with a tailshifter unit still left on it but with a side shift conversion in place and connected . .
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 2 2014, 12:35 PM
Post #16

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

How much for just the VIN plate? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 2 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #17

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 2 2014, 12:05 PM) *

the picture actually looks good compared to seeing it in person. . the front end is not only pushed back, the whole front clip is also pushed over to the passengers side.. my best estimate is that the frame stress points under and behind the gas tank compressed and bent to the left an inch or so.
the cowl is buckled much more when seen in person and needs replacement. . adding up all the visible damage and estimating the issues not readily visible means to me you'd need another body and transfer all the parts over. . . way too many structural issues to straighten and be reliable.

Trying to estimate how this cars condition was prior to the accident leads me to believe it was a 35-45K car then. . . the accident exposed shortcuts on prior body work under the multiple layers of paint. . In the future this will be considered a cost worthy project as Six prices increase and real six parts get more rare. . but starting at 35K for this doesn't equate to a realistic project at today's costs.
I'd expect this has a salvage title, or should have if it was a proper insurance claim, and that drastically would reduce the cars ultimate resale value once rebuilt. Also had wrong rear bumper- late style in place. the guy that has it said the car came from New York, so I wonder about east coast type of rust issues also. .

The silver car had door gaps on the passengers side looking like sagging, and had an early trans with a tailshifter unit still left on it but with a side shift conversion in place and connected . .

I agree with the price point being high but as far as unrepairable goes I have fixed worse and had it recertified. Once the guy that owns the cars comes off the moon it will be a matter of planning. Once you pull the stress out of the chassis and remove all that is not repairable the car looks totally different. All the bolt on parts and sheet metal are the same as the 4. There are a few "6" specific parts that would have to be sourced but the trick is getting the car pulled and assembled while on fixtures.

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 2 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I bet Andy won't be offering his 6 tub for $5k ever again.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 2 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 2 2014, 01:14 AM) *

could anybody read the paint code ...? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

The 914-6 has the 911 paint codes, so Irish green is 15
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 2 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Start with this, and 2 fenders and a cowl section, and lots of time and patience.
oh ya and $$$... forget the silver car not even worth mentioning... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:16 PM