Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wrecked 1970 914-6 on the Samba $32K, 9140431862
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 3 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #41

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Could someone tell me what's so wrong about using a 75 clip to repair a six front end? I know it's modified for the bumper shocks, has the fuel pump cover & has the curved front reinforcements, but so what? If your going to replace the whole front clip anyway, the differences could easily be cut & welded away. I actually have a set of the curved reinforcements I was planning to install them in my original six when I get around to redoing her & was also thinking of getting a fuel pump cover & installing that as well. I can see not doing so for a restoration, but for a restomod why not? (I'm not talking legal or moral here, just physically.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 3 2014, 01:17 PM
Post #42

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 3 2014, 11:32 AM) *
Could someone tell me what's so wrong about using a 75 clip to repair a six front end?

People pay more for original look and feel.

I personally would never use anything but a '70 clip to fix a '70 /6.
In fact, all the sheetmetal i accumulated for my /6 repair is a exact match to what is being replaced.

Everything else is a hack and will diminish the value of the car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 3 2014, 01:57 PM
Post #43

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 3 2014, 11:28 AM) *

one thing in the sellers favor, his local Craigslist ad shows multiple pictures of most of the car. .
All things considered, this vehicle SHOULD NOW HAVE A SALVAGE TITLE. That title would
follow the car and let future prospective buyers be aware of the cars past. .
Yeah I know titles can be washed, but because we [914World] have addressed
the cars condition with the vin associated in this post , future internet searches
of the vin will document the accident and reconstruction. .

PS.. there is no question about legality, transferring vin tags to another vehicle is illegal and also constituents fraud even if there was no original intent to decieve, as the act of changing number was deliberate.. All the rationalization in the world won't stand up in court. Fraud can be traceable back thru change of owners to the offending party.

Why do you think it should have a salvage title? Have you done chassis restoration? If not you really need to rethink your statement.

If YOUR car is restored and has had any welding done to it that does not look absolutely untouched is it suspect and should have a lower price? Is rust any less damaging than accident damage? Their both damage and both can be repaired. Classic cars with rising values should not be subject to salvage title consideration. Specially when so many cars are falling in half and many are subjected to back yard repairs that fall far from safe and proper.

When repairing accident damage the goal is to restore things to pre-accident condition. It seems people always bring up this concept of swapping vins as an easy method of repair when in this case the correct method is to re-dimension the chassis repairing panels as you work the damage out and relieve the stress in the chassis.

Next you need to remove what can not be restored and replace the un-restorable parts with LKQ parts. Like, kind and quality would mean new parts if available or used parts manufactured in 1970 or newer. The car is a 1970. There is no reason 1970 used or salvaged parts could not be considered a method of restoring the car to pre-accident condition.

Like I said, I repaired cars crashed way harder and had the state recertify the car to be used safely on our streets and highways.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 3 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #44

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 3 2014, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 3 2014, 11:32 AM) *
Could someone tell me what's so wrong about using a 75 clip to repair a six front end?

People pay more for original look and feel.

I personally would never use anything but a '70 clip to fix a '70 /6.
In fact, all the sheetmetal i accumulated for my /6 repair is a exact match to what is being replaced.

Everything else is a hack and will diminish the value of the car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) But properly repaired you should be able to present your car as well as a rust repaired chassis.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jun 3 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

OK. . if it was repairable, the owners insurance company would have paid to have it repaired. . . If it's not repairable, the insurance pays the claim and takes title of the car. . .

IIRC, once an insurance company writes it off, the title transfers to them and becomes blemished. . .If you want to keep your car, then you actually buy it back from the insurance company with the salvage title attached. . . In todays world of computers and Car_Fax, this cars history should be well documented if it was insured and any claim was presented to the company. .

Quote But properly repaired you should be able to present your car as well as a rust repaired chassis.

Thats like claiming an open heart surgery, was just a blood transfusion. .
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 3 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #46

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Toolguy, that simply is not true, I Know of a couple of well known 914-6's that were rusty and repaired and very twisted in the end,
no matter the situation it is either right or wrong..The insurance thing true its a total, but if he had liability only , the PO is just out, no branded title....there is a lot of things to check out on this 914-6 before thinking its reasonable..........

I would much rather fix a wreck than a rusty 914...That's just me .....

I sold my totaled 914-6 for $1500 and bought it back in trade for approx. $2000, No motor or trans. still in my name...time span of about 15 yrs..

I do agree , if its been paid off by insurance, the buy back was no where near the asking price, and it has a branded title....lots of research needed..
+Quote Post
chad newton
post Jun 3 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 13,491
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jun 2 2014, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 2 2014, 08:23 PM) *

Yes and illegal in CA.

-Steve

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jun 2 2014, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 2 2014, 11:35 AM) *

Would it be unorthodox, fraudulent or just wrong.
To get a clean “rust free” 1971 donor car, move all 914-6 specific parts and all VIN ID to the donor (including body stampings) and scrap the original 6 body?

Nothing stolen. Everything original, but everything around “everything original”, replaced.
Just wondering where you draw the line? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I got a 71 and can come up with engine and parts. Anyone want to partner up.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 3 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #48

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Cars & motorcycles are totaled by insurance companies because of the cost to repair them, not the amount of damage they have. As for salvage titles they mean nothing- titles can be "washed". States like mine & West Va. don't issue salvage titles so once registered in the state they have a clean, salvage free title. When I rebuilt my motorcycle I lived in Md. & had to go to the state police to undergo a serious inspection in order to even obtain a salvage title. Afterwards, when I moved to Va. & registered my bike here they issued me a clean title that does not have the word salvage written on it anywhere. I will presume that if I looked up my bike (96 VFR) on carfax I'd see it labeled as salvage, but any vehicle built prior to 1981 is not listed on carfax @ the moment so if it's title has been washed you have no way of knowing if it was ever totaled. As for repairing, I agree with Rick- rust or collision a repair is a repair & as long as it's done well who cares.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 3 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #49

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I'm a former collision shop/resto shop owner and currently an insurance adjuster. Your not telling me anything I don't know. But when it comes to branding titles it isn't always done. Many cars are wrecked and not branded. Depends on the state and the insurance carrier. Specially when it comes to classic/collector vehicles. I agree with Jeff. (sixnotfour) How many times have guys started threads "I twisted my car while welding up rust how do I fix it?" You would be surprised how much of that car will actually pull, hammer and dolly out and be saved. When I start my 6 pull I'll show you.
+Quote Post
seangee
post Jun 18 2018, 02:21 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 21,321
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I bought this car and the guy who fixed it has done several porsches, mostly 911's, also used a 1970 914. the car has a clean title and I am putting it up for sale simply because I am older now and thinning the heard way out in keeping 2 porsches for my kids to inherit, one being a 930 so I will be putting the car up for sale. current porsches are being built not to repair per Porsche, they would rather upsell into something new and control the market pretty similar to tesla. anyway, the car runs and drives great.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 18 2018, 04:42 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(seangee @ Jun 18 2018, 04:21 PM) *

I bought this car and the guy who fixed it has done several porsches, mostly 911's, also used a 1970 914. the car has a clean title and I am putting it up for sale simply because I am older now and thinning the heard way out in keeping 2 porsches for my kids to inherit, one being a 930 so I will be putting the car up for sale. current porsches are being built not to repair per Porsche, they would rather upsell into something new and control the market pretty similar to tesla. anyway, the car runs and drives great.

Runs and drives great.
Possibly a picture ?
Don't bother with focus.
Lift the car cover a little.
Anyway, GLWTS
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:41 AM