Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> dumb-ass course designer, minor crash
mskala
post Jun 3 2014, 07:08 AM
Post #1

R

Group: Members
Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

What kind of morons have they let loose to design courses. This is a ludicrous speed for safety. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lsDkIEAJms
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 3 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

NO, NO, NO...
God damn it!

I can't imagine running an autocross on a narrow lane like that, especially with barely any runoff on one side.
Way to easy to end up with a rollover, or worse...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 3 2014, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(mskala @ Jun 3 2014, 06:08 AM) *

What kind of morons have they let loose to design courses. This is a ludicrous speed for safety. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I dunno who is the bigger fool, the designer or the driver.
I had to watch the vid twice to see why he lost it. Typically more speed than good sense. He was well into 3rd gear. He should have been ready for the section and made at least one lower speed pass at it.

I've seen some gawd awful course designs and this was just another. The speed potential was too high for the typical driver........unless the racing surface was wide open. All the NO, NO,NOs in the world are NO help, A designer has to make safety allowances for idiots like that. Most guys aren't fools enough to put a vid like that on the net.....Just IMO.
+Quote Post
ww914
post Jun 3 2014, 08:42 AM
Post #4

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 3 2014, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(mskala @ Jun 3 2014, 06:08 AM) *

I dunno who is the bigger fool, the designer or the driver.
I had to watch the vid twice to see why he lost it. Typically more speed than good sense. He was well into 3rd gear. He should have been ready for the section and made at least one lower speed pass at it.

I've seen some gawd awful course designs and this was just another. The speed potential was too high for the typical driver........unless the racing surface was wide open. All the NO, NO,NOs in the world are NO help, A designer has to make safety allowances for idiots like that. Most guys aren't fools enough to put a vid like that on the net.....Just IMO.

After I watched it the second time, I think the driver was way over his head from the beginning. He never really had control of the car. I think all the NOs were at himself for doing this and messing up his car. Who knows if he even had an instructor with him on that course before he went out. I would say not. And, Chris is right, that could have been really bad with no margin for error, especially at the end of a fairly fast part of the course.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 3 2014, 08:49 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Real smart. A narrow road where there is little to no spin room and they set up a high speed slalom?

Only way to run that section would be to let them do a bit of third gear (straight), then have a tight (40 foot) 8 cone slalom that slows them way down.

That's how they do it at Cascade Lakes after the fastest place on the course, i.e., last year was going 96mph before braking for the very tight slalom entry.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 3 2014, 08:55 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 3 2014, 07:49 AM) *

Real smart. A narrow road where there is little to no spin room and they set up a high speed slalom?

Only way to run that section would be to let them do a bit of third gear (straight), then have a tight (40 foot) 8 cone slalom that slows them way down.

That's how they do it at Cascade Lakes after the fastest place on the course, i.e., last year was going 96mph before braking for the very tight slalom entry.

And I don't think anyone should be allowed to design an autox until they read this:

http://www.houscca.com/solo/courses/Course_Design_4-1-2.pdf .........

and can reiterate what is contained in the book.
+Quote Post
Seabird
post Jun 3 2014, 09:27 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,683
Region Association: South East States

Watching that video makes me feel like sh!t. Having a bout of food poisoning this weekend is probably not helping matters though.

Not that I have ever done ax before but it certainly seems like he had little actual control over his car. By 20sec into the video he has already lost control of the car at least once. Lets correct that by increasing the speed!

Wait sounds like my first HPDE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
mskala
post Jun 3 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #8

R

Member No.: 79

Imagine the things that had to happen before this. First, whoever's in charge allows
somebody (probably inexperienced and without the guidelines) to design it like that.
Then, everybody there walks the course and says yeah, 75 paces between cones,
that sounds nice and slow and safe. Then, probably a bunch of people run before
this guy and are not fazed by the trees coming at them at 80mph just a hair to the
left.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jun 3 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,907

I thought my autocross this weekend had a bad lay-out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) At least we had lots of space for my random spins!!
At least he didn't hit a tree or something. Lucky.
+Quote Post
Seabird
post Jun 3 2014, 01:38 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 16,683

just rusty barbwire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 3 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mskala @ Jun 3 2014, 09:29 AM) *

Imagine the things that had to happen before this. First, whoever's in charge allows
somebody (probably inexperienced and without the guidelines) to design it like that.
Then, everybody there walks the course and says yeah, 75 paces between cones,
that sounds nice and slow and safe. Then, probably a bunch of people run before
this guy and are not fazed by the trees coming at them at 80mph just a hair to the
left.

75 paces? In the video way longer than that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Woody
post Jun 4 2014, 06:31 AM
Post #12

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

We have a local track that will set up an "Outlaw Autocross" several times a year. I've been once. Essentially you run the track and there will be some high speed slaloms set in key areas. I almost went off in a very bad spot but was able to get it settled back down. Others were not so fortunate, as there was a bunch of cars that did go off and were damaged. Its one thing to be running a track with ample run off room, its another when you add elements that change where you would run off. That barbed wire fence is nasty. What if that was an open car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
charlesmac
post Jun 6 2014, 08:54 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,264

Aren't (two lane) roads designed with a peak in the middle to allow for water run off? With every lane change the car seemed to increase body roll so the off camber slalom surely helped him lose control, I would think.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 6 2014, 03:46 PM
Post #14

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

That was way to much speed for that small road... That guy was likely on street tires.. Imagine a hopped up vette with slicks... Get a hair wide and he's off at 80mph...

That section needed boxes, Not directional cones.
+Quote Post
NORD
post Jun 6 2014, 11:33 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,756
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I remember that a AX course is to be designed so that the fastest car do not exceed 70 MPH max. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
post Jun 7 2014, 11:57 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

At the end of the day.....it's up to the driver to make the critical judgement call.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 7 2014, 04:38 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(NORD @ Jun 6 2014, 10:33 PM) *

I remember that a AX course is to be designed so that the fastest car do not exceed 70 MPH max. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

If you go to that Roger Johnson SCCA link I posted above and start reading about page 127 there is some good information about speed.

Attached Image

Actually an autox shouldn't be designed where cars are exceeding 60mph. Now the fast modified cars are probably pushing that.

Interesting Roger says "Pure straights much over 400 feet in length are iffy; much longer ones are just plain irresponsible."

+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 7 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #18

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Ok, the designer screwed up. But isn't it really up to the driver? Don't they "walk" the course first so they know it? Why shouldn't the driver be the one to adapt to the course? Blame the course? Really? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Just asking.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 7 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 7 2014, 03:47 PM) *

Ok, the designer screwed up. But isn't it really up to the driver? Don't they "walk" the course first so they know it? Why shouldn't the driver be the one to adapt to the course? Blame the course? Really? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Just asking.

IMHO course design was flawed. You don't run a high (high) speed slalom on a narrow road with no run off. And cones that you have to go around mean what, that the road becomes narrower still and even more suspect. Any mistake or spin and you are going off.

That is why course designers usually walk the course with the "safety management" so that a second set of eyes can look for safety. Doubt this was done with this course and if so someone should be getting a serious lecture about safety and how to properly set up a course.

Think about the liability if that barbed wire had seriously damaged the person driving.

And he should have been wearing polarized sun glasses. All that shade will definitely screw with your ability to figure out where you are going.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 8 2014, 05:38 AM
Post #20

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Other than the drive running out of talent I don't think it is the drivers responsibility to go anything but all out. When I autocross the pedal has one position flat on the floor. Unless I am braking then it is HARD brake and back on as much gas as the rear tires support.

60 ft slalom is 22 paces for me. I count each of them to see if they get longer or shorter through the string. Those were 100 ft or more. And Scca lives by 25 ft to dangerous things. 50 ft for karts.

Been to a few PCA ax's and I was not impressed with layout. in fact I pulled the PCA HMFIC of the event aside and recommended he change this or that. Then whipped the snot out of them in a silly Miata of street tires.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:26 AM