Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CUDA 911's 914 Thread ! ! !
Cuda911
post Jun 21 2014, 02:49 AM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks, Marc!

I was super-pleased to get the inspection results, since I bought the car without a PPI.

I ordered some lugs from another 914World member. He had a set of 14 OEM lugs for $100. I sure hope I'm not getting scammed, since he only has three posts here. Keeping fingers crossed on that one. Looks like he's been a member since 2010, so I'm hoping he is just the quiet type. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

1:30 am and I couldn't sleep, so I was out polishing the tail pipe on the 914! (my neighbors must think I am insane).

Question for the group: I have seen so many tail pipe configurations.... including 1, 2, and 4 exhaust tips. I assume all but the single tip are aftermarket? But, I have seen single tips that are chrome. Was that a dealer option? A tail pipe cover? Part of a complete aftermarket exhaust?

And, just to bug Ripper911, the other non-air-cooled in my garage:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jun 21 2014, 06:32 AM
Post #102

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

It's not advisable to taunt me. I'll park my air-cooled cars in your driveway causing a large oil slick on which you just might slip and fall. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 21 2014, 08:11 AM
Post #103

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 21 2014, 12:49 AM) *

1:30 am and I couldn't sleep, so I was out polishing the tail pipe on the 914! (my neighbors must think I am insane).

This would qualify for the "Document the Madness" thread....if we had a "Document the Madness Thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 22 2014, 12:15 AM
Post #104

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jun 21 2014, 05:32 AM) *

It's not advisable to taunt me. I'll park my air-cooled cars in your driveway causing a large oil slick on which you just might slip and fall. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I would then be forced to up the stakes and leak toxic coolant all over your driveway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Progress update (6/21/2014):

Note my shiny tail pipe (see below)!

I pulled the rockers today to inspect. Didn't see any sign of rust, but there was a nice pile of crud that I cleaned out from behind the driver's side. Passenger side was completely clean.

I put on one of the "Porsche" stickers today. Due to a total screw up on my part, I need to order a new sticker for the passenger side. I love the looks of the stickers!

Went for a long drive today. I noticed that the "G" (alternator) light on the dash would periodically come on. This was after dusk, so I also had the headlights on. I looked in the owner's manual, and it says that sometimes the light comes on at low RPM. So, question time:

1. Is it normal to have the alternator light periodically go on and off when the headlights are on (bigger current load)?

2. If not, is my alternator dying? Voltage regulator dying? Both? Neither?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Jun 22 2014, 12:42 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 14,487

You are in my neck of the woods! Great back drop and the stickers look great too.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 27 2014, 11:47 PM
Post #106

Hey alphaogre, going to Cars & Coffee in Carlsbad tomorrow? It will be the "Grand Unveiling" of my 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So, as I mentioned in a previous post, my wheels showed up. Still waiting for the lug bolts to show up. One of the wheels was painted yellow from that limited version. So, today I stripped it down and repainted it to match the other 4. Primered it and put on the first coat. Will sand with 600 and 800 and 2000 tomorrow and do the final paint tomorrow.

I also put in a new set of targa roof holders in the trunk, lubed all hinges, latches, etc., and did a major detailing of the interior. Even polished the flanges on the shock mounts under the hood!

Also, found this little part in the glove box. Any idea what it is? (see last picture below)

Pix below:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mdelwiche
post Jun 28 2014, 12:51 AM
Post #107

Vegas_914

Member No.: 14,266
Region Association: Southwest Region

That is a clutch cable pin clip. It goes on the end of the clutch cable and attaches it to the pedal assembly.

I've been reading through your thread and what a great looking car, and a great find! You'll definitely find some great people on this forum and they have saved my butt numerous times as I have reached out for help over the past two years during my build. I just need to finish it up so I can get out and enjoy the ride like you are!
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 28 2014, 01:42 AM
Post #108

Clutch cable pin clip.. thanks, mdelwiche, I would have never guessed that!

I read through your rebuild thread... VERY impressive!!!! Far beyond my skills, which is why I needed to buy a car in great condition. And, the yellow is one of my favorite 914 colors!

I'll be in Vegas in October if you are still there. Doing the Exotic Racing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Signed up to drive the Lambo, the Ferrari, and the Mclaren.

Will probably drive the Cayman there.... can't wait to cruise the strip in a Speed Yellow Cayman! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mdelwiche
post Jun 28 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #109

Vegas_914

Member No.: 14,266
Region Association: Southwest Region

The reason I knew that is because I just ripped out my pedal assembly a few weeks ago..lol

I live right by the speedway. I should still be here in October, and hopefully the teener is up and running by that point. Still hoping I can ship her and my M3 to Italy when I get transferred in Nov.

Yea this build has been a learning process. Again a lot knowledge learned from the members here. Probably the biggest regret is starting it only after having the car for four months and not having a chance to enjoy it for awhile. But hey when it's done though, it's going to be sweet!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 28 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #110

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 22 2014, 02:15 AM) *

1. Is it normal to have the alternator light periodically go on and off when the headlights are on (bigger current load)?

2. If not, is my alternator dying? Voltage regulator dying? Both? Neither?

Does the light come on when you are idling?

Could be a number of things. Yes, there is a larger current draw with the lights on. When the alternator can't produce all the current necessary for the lights, the voltage drops and the battery helps out. Could also be a loose alternator belt.

I wouldn't think it would be the VR since it does work ok with the lights out.

The 914 is known to have many small voltage drops in the wiring which is why the voltmeter in the center console is unreliable especially when the lights are on.

You can try cleaning all grounds and tightening up all ground and power lugs. It might not help but it doesn't hurt.

If the GEN light comes on during idle with lights on, get a helper and put your voltmeter directly across the battery terminals. and have them elevate the RPM above idle and note what voltage you measure.

BTW, nice car.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 28 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #111

Thanks for the tips, Spoke.

Gen light has been coming on and off seemingly randomly. At idle and at speed.

Well.... after driving the car all over the place since I bought the car on June 10, with nary a problem, the car wouldn't start this morning. Battery nearly stone cold dead.

I jumped it and drove around, but as soon as I stopped, car idle dropped to zero and car wouldn't restart.

Quite the fun trip getting home! At every traffic light, I had to heal/toe it to keep the brakes on and the revs up, to prevent the car from stalling out.

I'm guessing alternator. A friend of mine who is very familiar with 914s and has owned many of them thinks it could also be a ground somewhere.

Oh, the car also has what I think is called "hot bypass" or something like that.

The battery was replaced in 2011 by the previous owner. The car was barely driven from 2011 to 2014 (maybe 1,500 miles total over those 3 years), so maybe the battery is bad too.

I'll take it to the shop next week and see what's up.

Fun stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 2 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #112

OK, I limped the car into the shop yesterday to see what's up with that electrical issue. Will keep you posted.

My lugs showed up today for the Mahle wheels!!!

Question:

Keep 'em black or paint 'em silver? The steel wheels on the car now have those blacl OEM lug bolt caps. I think most of the Mahle cars I've seen have silver lug bolts (maybe chrome?).

I'm thinking black would look good with my center caps.

Here's what I have assembled:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 3 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #113

914 Neferati

I'd do silver or chrome. Keep it simple to emphasize the center caps. JMO
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jul 3 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #114

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 2 2014, 07:56 PM) *

OK, I limped the car into the shop yesterday to see what's up with that electrical issue. Will keep you posted.

Question:

Keep 'em black or paint 'em silver? The steel wheels on the car now have those blacl OEM lug bolt caps. I think most of the Mahle cars I've seen have silver lug bolts (maybe chrome?).

I'd stay with silver colored Mahles. Maybe you can get the lug bolts blasted if you don't like 'em black.

Or, after you mount the wheels to your car, mask off the wheels and spray paint the bolts silver and then follow up with a flat clear. They'll look great until the next time you take a wrench to them.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 3 2014, 11:46 PM
Post #115

Thanks for the input, dlkawashima. I'll try the black to start with (which the lugs already are), and if I don't like it, will follow your suggestion.

Update 7/3/2014:

Got the car back from the shop. As I had suspected, it was a bad alternator, so that was replaced. Also, they were able to find and install and re-key a door lock, so now I can lock the car!!!

In addition, had shifter bushings replaced. Much less "slop" in the stick now.

Then, I headed over to TC's Garage in Vista, CA and picked up the following parts:

- New wiper arms and blades (the old ones were a bit too faded for my liking)
- New antenna - it is the Hirschmann one that was installed by most dealers.
- New PORSCHE letters for engine cover lid
-New rubber covers for clutch and brake pedals (the old ones were fine, but why settle for fine when I can have new?

I installed all of the above today except the PORSCHE letters. What a dope I am... at first I thought I would have to pull apart the dash to get at the antenna wiring, until after 5 minutes of staring at it, I opened the hood and realized that it was right in front of me. DUH! I also cleaned up all of the contacts... I could "sort of" get about 3 radio stations before... now I get about 50! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Another question for you guys: I got a new OEM shift knob (well, a new used one)... the lettering on mine is a bit faded.... I just can't get that SOB off of the stick. Any secrets of how to pull it off? It's on tight with that crush washer.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 4 2014, 07:12 AM
Post #116

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I cut a channel in a 2x4 the width of the shaft and slipped it under the knob and used a hammer on the 2x4.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 4 2014, 08:54 AM
Post #117

Great idea, Mepstein! Yesterday I tried sliding a cloth-wrapped steel bar up the shift shaft to hit the bottom of the knob, but just couldn't hit it with enough force. I'll try some slotted wood, that should work!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 4 2014, 09:10 AM
Post #118

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

did you try pulling and twisting at the same time? worst case it may be epoxied on.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 4 2014, 09:41 AM
Post #119

914 Neferati

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 4 2014, 07:10 AM) *

did you try pulling and twisting at the same time? worst case it may be epoxied on.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I've always believed that the crush washer helped teach me how to shift my 914 when I got a brand new one in 1973. I used to grip the knob tightly when shifting, kind of yanking the lever from position to position. The shift knob kept coming off in my hand and I'd have to delicately find the spot to press it back on the shaft. I finally learned to use light pressure when shifting, actually only using a couple of fingers on the side of the shaft to change gears. Made shifting smooth and easy and the knob didn't come off any more.
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 4 2014, 10:22 AM
Post #120

The youngin'

Member No.: 16,784
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 2 2014, 10:56 PM) *

Question:

What paints did you use?
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:11 AM