Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CUDA 911's 914 Thread ! ! !
Dave_Darling
post Jun 12 2014, 10:22 AM
Post #41

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The stock 914 engines have really flat torque curves, especially for naturally-aspirated engines. They make within a handful of lb-ft of peak torque from about 2500-4500 RPM. They make max power at about 4800 RPM, and by 5200 or so they're completely done.

They like at least moderate revs to make sure they've got cooling air flowing--especially at high loads, like going uphill.

I personally like the steel wheels, but only with the "baby-moon" style hubcaps. I'm not so fond of them without the caps. Mahles are a good choice, as are Fuchs. The later-style Pedrini wheels (part number ending in ".01", not ".00") will also fit but are not really appropriate for a 74 or later car. Don't use the early wheels, they will not fit the front hubs correctly.

Aftermarket wheels are also a possibility. The silver car with the stripes in Dave Kawashima's pic has ATS wheels, which are uncommon but have a neat look. Riviera wheels are more common but don't look bad. And so on.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jun 12 2014, 10:59 AM
Post #42

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Nice choice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

See, now wasn't that easy?

Now the real fun begins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 12 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #43

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 11 2014, 09:37 PM) *
I pulled up the carpeting everywhere, and don't see any sign of rust anywhere on the floorboards.

I hate to come back to this point, please don't take it personally! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A visual inspection under the carpets is *useless* since the floorboards are covered with a thick layer of tar and the factory painted OVER the tar.
The floors will look rust free and perfect until the day the seats fall through.

You really need to take the time and do the crunch test and poke around with a screwdriver, especially behind the seats.

Many a 914 has had a leaking rear window at some point in its life, and that's where the water goes.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 12 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Matt, Yeah, I agree, I need to get the car into a shop right away, to do a good inspection for any safety items, etc.

Sir Andy, I will follow your advice and inspect the floor boards better.

Dave, OK, so it sounds like my driving style seems ok for the car. Regarding the "baby-moon" style hubcaps.... do you have any photos or know where I can get them and for how much $$$. I can envision roughly what they look like, and agree.... they would go well with the trim rings. I am getting an estimate from a locate plating company to get them re-chromed.

Porschef: "Now the real fun begins." I assume that means "Keep your wallet handy, now the real spending begins." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Jun 12 2014, 01:38 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 12 2014, 11:17 AM) *

A visual inspection under the carpets is *useless* since the floorboards are covered with a thick layer of tar and the factory painted OVER the tar.
The floors will look rust free and perfect until the day the seats fall through.

You really need to take the time and do the crunch test and poke around with a screwdriver, especially behind the seats.

Many a 914 has had a leaking rear window at some point in its life, and that's where the water goes.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Agreed. This is what usually happens due to a leaky rear window seal. This was a fairly rust free car. With the seats removed, it looked fine...until the tar was removed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i171.photobucket.com-8357-1402601930.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 12 2014, 03:11 PM
Post #46

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yes and pull the rockers for the same reason.
I always tell people not to buy a car without pulling the rockers first.
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jun 12 2014, 03:51 PM
Post #47

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jun 12 2014, 03:38 PM) *

Agreed. This is what usually happens due to a leaky rear window seal. This was a fairly rust free car. With the seats removed, it looked fine...until the tar was removed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i171.photobucket.com-8357-1402601930.1.jpg)

Looks better than my car...
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 12 2014, 04:26 PM
Post #48

914 Idiot

Here are a couple of pics of the style(s) of hubcap that I'm talking about. Note that they may or may not fit on the "styled steel wheels" that you have; I'm not sure.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/californiaclassix.com-121-1402611985.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-10386-1252317732.jpg)

Not sure where you would get them but I'd bet the Bug guys know. Places like aircooled.net or CB Performance. Or heck, Summit Racing!

--DD
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 12 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #49

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 12 2014, 03:26 PM) *
Note that they may or may not fit on the "styled steel wheels" that you have; I'm not sure.

Nope, they wont fit his wheels ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 12 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #50

Dave, I like the wheels on that yellow one a lot.

Today I went over to a plating facility that specializes in automotive parts plating, polishing, etc.

To re-chrome the metal bands on my wheels is $80 each. Doesn't seem worth it to me, when that $$ could go towards some nicer wheels (since I would still need to find those moons like on the yellow one). JC Whitney has the band and moons, but all of their stuff is such crap.

One of the guys here PM'd me that he has some Mahles for sale. His price is good... but I wonder if shipping will be prohibitive. Anyone know what it costs to send a set of wheels across the country?
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Jun 12 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 8,920

Check here for spray can paints. I have used them a bunch of times and they ship quick and the paint has always been a good match. I looked for L96D but could only find it under VW not Porsche, but seeing as the Karmann factory built our cars, I am sure the paints were shared.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-...973/all-models/
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jun 12 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #52

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

IMHO, your wheels look much better without the trim rings. Buy some Wurth wheel paint from Pelican and spruce them up. That will get you by until you decide what you want to do. I am partial to Mahles, as that is what I have on my car, but I am going 5 lug as soon as I find the time.

As far as power goes, you can build yourself a 2056 and still run the FI system that you have. That will give you another 25+ horsepower for not a lot of money.

Have your bumpers chromed, and you will be really close to what you wanted in the first place. However, once you get those stripes on, you may decide that the black bumpers work for you.

Very nice find - glad you ended up with this car and not the first one!!!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 12 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #53

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 12 2014, 08:52 PM) *

Dave, I like the wheels on that yellow one a lot.

Today I went over to a plating facility that specializes in automotive parts plating, polishing, etc.

To re-chrome the metal bands on my wheels is $80 each. Doesn't seem worth it to me, when that $$ could go towards some nicer wheels (since I would still need to find those moons like on the yellow one). JC Whitney has the band and moons, but all of their stuff is such crap.

One of the guys here PM'd me that he has some Mahles for sale. His price is good... but I wonder if shipping will be prohibitive. Anyone know what it costs to send a set of wheels across the country?

Shipping - $25/wheel. If you ask around, you should be able to find almost any type of wheel near where you live.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 12 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #54

The guy with the Mahles PM'd me. His price was including shipping and seems very fair. Assuming they are in good condition, I will buy them.

Zambezi, yes, I've bought paint from those guys before, for my Turbo Beetle, and was very pleased with it. I didn't see the paint code under Porsche. You are right, I should have checked the VW codes too. I will call them to verify that it's the same.

Bigkensteel.... that's a great idea! I have a very good 914 mechanic. I will talk to him about doing that 2056 conversion. Sound perfect for my needs/wants. 25 HP more is a 25% increase over the stock 1.8, so should be pretty noticeable. I'll stop by his shop soon to talk to him about that.

Re: "Have your bumpers chromed, and you will be really close to what you wanted in the first place. However, once you get those stripes on, you may decide that the black bumpers work for you."

I checked at the chrome shop... about $450 apiece to have the bumpers chromed. You may well be right about being satisfied with the the black ones, for now anyway.

I'd like to repaint them to "freshen them up" a bit. Any suggestions on what paint to use? (specific brand and shade of black). Would I use that same paint on the rockers if I want to freshen them up too?

Another question for you guys: There is an annoying seat belt buzzer that stays on whenever the door is open. I'd like to get rid of that. Is there a fuse I can pull?
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 12 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #55

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Since you're thinking about getting some matching silver paint, you might consider getting extra and painting your bumpers body color. It gives some nice shape to the ends of your car, instead of the black which kind of just makes the ends disappear. Not many have this style, but for the first 3 years that's how 914s without chrome bumpers were delivered. I think it would look especially good in silver.

Here's an example in Marathon Blue.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 12 2014, 11:50 PM
Post #56

I thought about painting the bumpers, but thought that might look cheesy. The blue one in your pic looks good.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jun 12 2014, 11:55 PM
Post #57

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 13 2014, 01:00 AM
Post #58

914 Idiot

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 12 2014, 08:35 PM) *
Any suggestions on what paint to use? (specific brand and shade of black). Would I use that same paint on the rockers if I want to freshen them up too?

Wurth satin black is supposed to be a good match. Most likely by this point about any satin black will be pretty good...

Another question for you guys: There is an annoying seat belt buzzer that stays on whenever the door is open. I'd like to get rid of that. Is there a fuse I can pull?

If you pull out the passenger's seat, you'll find the buzzer plugged in to a little panel under there. It should be obvious which part it is. Hopefully someone has already bypassed the Dreaded Seatbelt Interlock Relay that is also under there, but if not you can jumper the two big fat yellow wires that go to that same panel together. Make it a good joint, with shrink-tubing over it to keep out any dirt and/or water. That wire carries the current that triggers your starter solenoid...

--DD
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 13 2014, 01:59 AM
Post #59

Thanks, guys. I really like the looks of those painted bumpers. I think I will do that. Since my car is silver, it will sort of also give it the OEM "appearance group" look.

I'll hunt for that buzzer wire tomorrow.

What does the interlock relay do? Prevent the car from starting without the belts fastened? If so, someone bypassed it already.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 13 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #60

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 12 2014, 11:59 PM) *

Thanks, guys. I really like the looks of those painted bumpers. I think I will do that. Since my car is silver, it will sort of also give it the OEM "appearance group" look.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

While you're at it, lose the rear tits.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:38 AM