Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CUDA 911's 914 Thread ! ! !
Cuda911
post Jun 13 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I believe when the rear tits are mastectomized, it leaves a hole that requires welding shut?

Have any products been designed to snap into the resulting hole. What's the easiest way to get those off?

I 100% agree, though.... the rear tits need to go.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 13 2014, 10:32 AM
Post #62

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 13 2014, 09:29 AM) *

I believe when the rear tits are mastectomized, it leaves a hole that requires welding shut?

Have any products been designed to snap into the resulting hole. What's the easiest way to get those off?

I 100% agree, though.... the rear tits need to go.

You can get a chrome carriage bolt and seal the hole without welding.

http://www.boltdepot.com/Carriage_bolts_Ch...de_5_steel.aspx
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 13 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 12 2014, 10:57 PM) *

IMHO, your wheels look much better without the trim rings.!!!

I agree!

Paul
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 13 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #64

Oh, it's just a very small hole when the tits are removed? I thought there was a big rectangle that needed a plate welded in.

I'll pull off the rings and see how it looks without 'em
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 13 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #65

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

2 small holes for each tit. for a quick fix you can find plastic push in caps (in black) at your hardware store until you make a decision of the direction you want to take. for a resale value the bumper would be worth more with the holes left as they are. let the next owner fuss with the welding, grinding and repainting.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jun 13 2014, 12:15 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

CUDA911,
I read the whole thread, well skimmed thru kind of, and did not see any mention of this, however here goes.
You have found a very nice car that so far is very original in style. This is becoming less and less seen as more and more guys modify their car a lot after buying them. You might give some thought to making modifications that are easily "undone" later as an original style car will bring more $$$ when you decide to move on. Original styled cars are becoming big attention getters at events also as guys who are reverting back to stock want to see how things were attached, etc. before folks started modifying them.
Nice find!! and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Tom
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 13 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #67

Hi Tom,

Thanks!

Yes, I am going to keep all of my mods as "original" as possible, or as you say, make them easily reversible. I will save any parts I take off. One of the turn signal covers has some internal cracking due to age. I may get the clear/orange euro ones, but I will save the old ones. If I paint the bumper, that's easily reversible (it's not the original front one anyway). Since the Mahle wheels are correct for this car, I should have no problem swapping out the steelies.

Even if I do the big bore pistons to increase displacement, I can't see that any future buyer will mind, since I can keep the stock fuel injection system in place. I was really happy to find a car that didn't have the injectors replaced with carbs.

The "Porsche" stickers that I have ordered for the sides are period-correct, and easily removable.

My original plan was to paint the car Bahia Red. In my, as of now, three days of ownership, the silver has grown on me. I would have preferred a more "interesting" color to start with, but I have decided to keep this one the OEM color.

So yes, no crazy mods planned for this car!
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jun 13 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #68

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 12 2014, 01:26 AM) *

I was just telling a friend today that it felt like driving a go-cart! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) pure driving enjoyment, like no other car I've driven!

With the cloth inserts in my seats it's a cross between sitting on an old couch floating down the road and a go kart with doors, depending on how you drive it.

Your car is only a few hundred earlier than mine looking at the Vin, built in the same month. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 13 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #69

"Your car is only a few hundred earlier than mine looking at the Vin, built in the same month."

Hey that's pretty cool!

Another question for the group, regarding what gas grade to use. I think most say to just use 87. A mechanic told me to use 91, since it will run cooler.

Opinions requested, please!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 13 2014, 10:44 PM
Post #70

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

It won't necessarily run cooler on higher-octane fuel. It might, but it might not--the heat is not really related to the octane.

The car was built to run 87. You can try the higher-octane stuff and see if it makes any difference to you.

--DD
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 14 2014, 12:45 AM
Post #71

OK< thanks, Dave. Everything I have ever read in my life seems to indicate that if a car was designed for 87 and runs fine on 87, then paying for higher octane is just a waste of $$.

I'm in the process of reading the owner's manual from cover to cover. Just saw the oddest thing.... I guess familiar to all of you, but I never heard of anything like this in my life: the windshield washer tank is pressurized from the spare tire!!! Wow! That is simultaneously crazy and sheer genius!

I'm scheduled to take the car to my mechanic on Tuesday (June 17). I'm preparing a laundry list of items to check/fix:

1. Oil change. The oil in it looks new, but since I don't know when it was last changed, I will take care of doing that.

2. Minor transmission fluid leak. Hate spots on my driveway.

3. Minor oil weeping at rear main seal. Hate spots on my driveway.

4. Horn doesn't work. Of course, I can just use my finger to express displeasure whilst driving, but I'll see what's up with that horn.

5. General inspection. I didn't get a PPI, since I would have lost the car to another buyer if I did. I know the mechanic that did about $4,000 in repairs/servicing on it when it came out of storage in 2011, and he went through it in detail at that time. Today I went over and talked to him about the car and he gave it his "seal of approval".

I'm guessing tranny needs to come out to fix that leak, so I guess that means a transmission fluid change, which is fine with me.

Pic showing the leaks:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jun 14 2014, 02:02 AM
Post #72

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 13 2014, 11:45 PM) *

I'm in the process of reading the owner's manual from cover to cover. Just saw the oddest thing.... I guess familiar to all of you, but I never heard of anything like this in my life: the windshield washer tank is pressurized from the spare tire!!! Wow! That is simultaneously crazy and sheer genius!

The pressurized windshield washer system is notorious for leaking ... especially around the steering column, so keep an eye out for that.

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 13 2014, 11:45 PM) *

4. Horn doesn't work. Of course, I can just use my finger to express displeasure whilst driving, but I'll see what's up with that horn.

Twist off the horn pad (counter clockwise) and see if the wire from the steering wheel is connected to it. It's not uncommon for there to be a problem with that connection causing the horn to honk when turning the wheel, or, worst case, an "always on" condition.
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jun 14 2014, 04:46 AM
Post #73

corde pulsum tangite

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 14 2014, 02:45 AM) *

2. Hate spots on my driveway.

3. Hate spots on my driveway.

Don't park in the driveway.

It's going to leak.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 14 2014, 07:16 AM
Post #74

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

leaks and a 914 go hand in hand...
its part of the experience.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 14 2014, 10:20 AM
Post #75

Ah, sounds like the early 911's. Oil stains and 911's are inseparable.

"Twist off the horn pad (counter clockwise) and see if the wire from the steering wheel is connected to it. It's not uncommon for there to be a problem with that connection causing the horn to honk when turning the wheel, or, worst case, an "always on" condition."

Thanks for the tip, I will take a look.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Jun 14 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Looks like it is a speedo drive o-ring leaking...not a hard fix and not a reason to pull the trans. Find McMark and see if he is still making his double o-ring speedo drives. They fix that problem.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 15 2014, 01:57 AM
Post #77

^^^ Ah, that makes sense... seller said something about an O-ring that was leaking, but I didn't know what he meant.

Dave, that was a good tip on the horn pad... I fixed the horn today!!!

Right tail light and turn signal don't work. I thought it was probably a fuse, but I checked this morning and all fuses were fine. Now, I'm keeping fingers crossed that it is the bulb.... haven't checked yet.

Today I took off the targa top and drove the 914 down to La Jolla and Seaport Village. Everywhere I went, all day long, people made comments and compliments about the car and wanted photos of it... crazy!!! Do you guys get that much attention in your 914s? I never get that many comments in either the Cayman or the 911.

Here's the oddest incident of all today:

I was in La Jolla, waiting in an alley for some friends that I was meeting. I was fiddling with the radio, and heard someone next to the driver's side say something. I looked up, and there was a scruffy, scraggle-bearded, tattooed, shirtless guy with filthy tattered pants. He was swigging whiskey from a bottle in a paper bag.

I looked up and said "what?".

He replied (in a somewhat slurred voice): "Great 914, man.... I haven't seen one of those in years." He took another swig, staggered a bit and nearly fell over, and then said: "Is that the 1800 engine? Your car is great, dude, I never see 914s any more."

Then he gave me that surfer "hang loose" hand gesture and staggered off down the alley.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jun 15 2014, 04:58 AM
Post #78

corde pulsum tangite

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 15 2014, 06:56 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 14 2014, 02:45 AM) *

Not uncommon to have the hose dry up at the steering column and wet your feet.

Paul
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 15 2014, 01:31 PM
Post #80

^^^ My understanding is that the nozzles tend to clog up too. I haven't put any wiper fluid into the reservoir yet to try it out. Really is of very little concern. If it works... great! If not, oh well....
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:46 PM