Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adding a/c to my Suby Conversion- Options, Not a huge fan of the big under dash unit in some 914's
JRust
post Jun 23 2014, 10:48 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so I'm looking for some options for adding Air Conditioning to my 914. I have heat in the fresh air box now. Just want to have A/C for those long drives. I don't love the windows down all the time when it's hot out. Not to mention I tend to hit some of the out of town events. which usually are in some hot area's. So yes I want a little more comfort on those longer drives.

So let's keep the flames out of this if possible. I don't care if you don't like the idea. I'm looking for some options on adding aftermarket a/c. I'd still like to retain the 914 interior if possible. Not opposed to a little customization though. A fresh air box that could house both the a/c & heater would be great. I'm not a big fan of the under dash unit that came with the dealer add ons in 914's. What idea's do you guys have. Cost is a factor of course. I have my car at Original Customs now for some work. It will most likely be McMark doing the install.

Just trying to get the creative juices flowing. This is for my water cooled Subaru conversion. So this isn't some stock car I would be ruining (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 23 2014, 11:01 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I would go to the local yard and scavange a bunch of honda stuff (or from some guy parting a car). Strip it all down to its core, and mock it up under the dash then fiberglass what you need and run some hoses/controllers.

It'll take some time to figure out, but it'll work. If you remove the glovebox you might have enough room to do it without anyone noticing.

You going to run the condensor in front of the radiator? Those be high pressure lines.. That might be the hardest part. Sourcing and fabbing the lines.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 24 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Always wondered if the Vintage air mini unit with heat and AC would work. They will loan you an empty mock up case to try fitment.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 24 2014, 02:47 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 23 2014, 10:48 PM) *

Okay so I'm looking for some options for adding Air Conditioning to my 914. I have heat in the fresh air box now. Just want to have A/C for those long drives. I don't love the windows down all the time when it's hot out. Not to mention I tend to hit some of the out of town events. which usually are in some hot area's. So yes I want a little more comfort on those longer drives.

So let's keep the flames out of this if possible. I don't care if you don't like the idea. I'm looking for some options on adding aftermarket a/c. I'd still like to retain the 914 interior if possible. Not opposed to a little customization though. A fresh air box that could house both the a/c & heater would be great. I'm not a big fan of the under dash unit that came with the dealer add ons in 914's. What idea's do you guys have. Cost is a factor of course. I have my car at Original Customs now for some work. It will most likely be McMark doing the install.

Just trying to get the creative juices flowing. This is for my water cooled Subaru conversion. So this isn't some stock car I would be ruining (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I'd start by looking for a stock compressor for your 2.5 and source some other compatible Subie parts also. You can have lines and hoses fabbed and look for a small evaporator and possibly another location for the condenser other than the front of the car to keep line and hose length down. Look into BIGKATs setup for inspiration too- one of the cleanest installs I've seen on this site! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 24 2014, 02:49 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 24 2014, 02:47 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 23 2014, 10:48 PM) *

I'd start by looking for a stock compressor for your 2.5 and source some other compatible Subie parts also. You can have lines and hoses fabbed and look for a small evaporator and possibly another location for the condenser other than the front of the car to keep line and hose length down. Look into BIGKATs setup for inspiration too- one of the cleanest installs I've seen on this site! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I forgot to mention that Patrick Motorsports has an under/in dash evap and heater core setup that looks very compact and reasonable too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
NORD
post Jun 24 2014, 07:09 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,756

I'd look at the super Chevy and Hot Rod sites for aftermarket units.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jun 24 2014, 08:06 AM
Post #7

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Google. Hot rod air conditioning. Many small aftermarket units out there for custom rides.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 24 2014, 09:17 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-61005-vuz-a/overview/

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Under-Dash-AC-Unit,50705.html

http://www.restomodair.com/shopproducts/va...tioning-system/

Found a few setups. Everything will be a custom deal obviously. Looks like some of these are small enough to possible go in the fresh air box location. With a little custom fitting to make everything work of course

Although the 2nd one there could just be added in addition to my current heat setup in the fresh air box. Not a huge fan of the big underdash unit. That one is fairly small though. I'd just ditch my center console
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jun 24 2014, 09:23 AM
Post #9

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Put the 914 on your trailer and take the factory air conditioned truck.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 24 2014, 09:44 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 24 2014, 01:47 AM) *

I would love to hear from Bigkat. Where do I find the pics of your setup? How did you do yours?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 24 2014, 10:08 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 24 2014, 09:44 AM) *

I would love to hear from Bigkat. Where do I find the pics of your setup? How did you do yours?

I haven't done mine- no place to work on it and it's frustrating as hell. But I will be leaving my compressor on when the 3.3 goes in. I've had lines and hoses fabbed before- it's just a matter of planning where to run them. The Patrick Motorsports underdash doesn't look big at all and it's designed for the 914. Install it all, adjust your freon capacity accordingly and freeze yer butt off! You can see pics of BIGKATs setup but I don't think he put up a tutorial on it...
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jun 24 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a sb conversion and was thinking about using this unit as it would maybe fit in the cowl between the wall and the fuel tank (sans windshield washer which would need to be relocated).
http://www.southernrods.com/a-c-and-heat-u...-unit-only.html
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jun 24 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 24 2014, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 24 2014, 09:44 AM) *

I haven't done mine- no place to work on it and it's frustrating as hell. But I will be leaving my compressor on when the 3.3 goes in. I've had lines and hoses fabbed before- it's just a matter of planning where to run them. The Patrick Motorsports underdash doesn't look big at all and it's designed for the 914. Install it all, adjust your freon capacity accordingly and freeze yer butt off! You can see pics of BIGKATs setup but I don't think he put up a tutorial on it...

I called Patrick Motorsports. They don't offer a unit as a part. They do a custom fab for each project.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 24 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here's some recent chatter about heat/ac in conversion cars. Bob's setup is an aftermarket Mustang II unit. He also says it's "not a bolt in job" which is code for pain in the ass. andys looks pretty cool too.

Link

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 24 2014, 03:44 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

This might work for you. Simple and cheap. http://www.b-kool.net/ (Just in case your motor doesn't provide enough power to run an AC compressor). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 24 2014, 11:54 PM
Post #16

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm close to producing an under cowl/air box replacement unit.

I was going to wait til I had pics but the peer pressure got to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 25 2014, 01:12 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Rats! Last time I looked at the Patrick website they had an underdash unit for a 914 for the paltry sum of 495.00. Now they show nothing... I did look at Restomod Air and they have a pretty compact package for just under 900. with vent hookups. Hmmm... mebbe look around for a old Civic you can rob the parts from, but as I remember it's kinda boxy. Just hide it all behing a BIG console! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 25 2014, 09:07 AM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I think we can stack the heater core and the evaporator in the fresh air box location, but will have to relocate the fan. This could turn into a nice feature to have 'climate zones'. If there is a fan on either side, then the driver and passenger could increase or decrease the airflow independently. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 25 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 25 2014, 08:07 AM) *

I think we can stack the heater core and the evaporator in the fresh air box location, but will have to relocate the fan. This could turn into a nice feature to have 'climate zones'. If there is a fan on either side, then the driver and passenger could increase or decrease the airflow independently. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Ooh I like your thinking! Man you should just whip one of those out right now. Think of all the 914 owner's lining up to have you do it. You just need a working prototype. What better car could you put it in to show off your mad fab skills (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 26 2014, 12:14 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

This 99 GMC Jimmy evaporator looks like a good fit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:29 PM