Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magnetic fired ignition, Anyone running it on a 4?
lapuwali
post Jan 21 2005, 10:56 AM
Post #21

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (-JR- @ Jan 20 2005, 11:27 PM)
No FI, just dual webbers! But I want to port the system over to a stock 3.2 setup when I install that in 2006.

As per the adjustment it will undoubtedly require "tweaking" for max power. So that's the real purpose for the adjustment. It would be very hard to adjust the pickup if it's mounted in the fan assembly.

-JR-

The MSD 6AL box has, by itself, NO provision for an advance curve. With it and their crank trigger, you get a fixed advance ignition. This is fine for a drag racer (which is what they advertise it for), but would completely suck on the street. It would be difficult to start, esp. when cold, and would run poorly at low revs. Driving it in stop-and-go traffic would be maddening. On a Type IV, you'd probably end up with a dead engine in short order.

To get an ignition curve, they offer yet another box (actually several variations on it) that can give you anything from a fixed-at-the-factory curve to one you can program yourself.

In the end, you're looking at about $500 to get an adjustable, crank-fired ignition with a distributor to, er, distribute the spark. No vacuum advance. With the "programmable timing computer", you won't have to adjust the sensor once it's in place and the air gap has been set (which is a one-time, engine-off deal). The programmer allows you to adjust the timing completely w/o touching the sensor.

I thought all of this was way overpriced until I started looking at how much the competing setups were. I had no idea an Electromotive HPV was $900 these days. That's insane. No wonder MS is so popular.

If you want a much cheaper ignition only setup that does require soldering and more work to make, look at MegaJolt Light Jr, which is a distributorless, completely programmable DIY box based on EDIS. Total cost will be under $300, and the end result is a superior system to the MSD thing. No distributor, vacuum advance, and you set the advance curve to anything you want in software.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:49 AM