Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear window, Removal
spunone
post Jan 21 2005, 09:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,901
Region Association: Southern California

Any tips on removing rear window not with a hammer though'I've allready found out that rust removal spray will eat holes in air hose and halogen work light helps in the removal of interior floor sealer can we say HOT.so any advice on window removal would be helpful Thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 21 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Once you get all the trim on the int removed around the window, they usually fall out. If yours is still stuck, take it slow, you could crack it. I have never actually had to remove a still sealed or stuck rear window before. But would think it is similar to removing a windshield. Try cutting the seal right up against the glass. once you have a decent start, I would think you could apply even pressure to slowly peel the rest of the window away? Just a thought. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jan 21 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #3

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I did this on my 74. I cut around the window with a sharp blade and pushed a piano wire through the corner. Then I wrapped it around a short dowel and pulled back and forth. It was not easy and if I had to do it again I would have heated it with a heat gun!

I paid a glass shop to put it back!

Jeff
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 21 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,162

this is a good topic, i've been thinking about this. i think my window is leaking, the car hasn't been in on the road in 20 yrs, but there's water damage to the bottom of the back pad. i might as well do it while i've got the thing apart.

what's the best product to reseal the window?

~a
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 21 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #5

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE (double-a @ Jan 21 2005, 10:57 AM)
this is a good topic, i've been thinking about this. i think my window is leaking, the car hasn't been in on the road in 20 yrs, but there's water damage to the bottom of the back pad. i might as well do it while i've got the thing apart.

what's the best product to reseal the window?

~a

I have always used the same foam filled byral (spelling?) tape as on windshields. Works great, no leaks, holds window tight agianst pieces (no rattling) and cheap. Any winshield repair shop should have some.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 21 2005, 01:11 PM
Post #6

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Reinstalled mine a couple of months ago, worst part was getting the rusted Targa pad screws out (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) . Mine was actually rattling so extracting it was not a problem. I used 3/8" polypropylene cord I got from a local auto glass business. You might do a search on the forum, because I recall seeing a VERY detail, start to finish, how-to thread w/pics on this subject. Definitely worth a read!

Kevin
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 21 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I use an offset putty knife to get into the seal and cut it away. Works quick and easy. I can have a window out in 15 minutes without any danger or cracking. Reinstall with Butyl tape (3M WindowWeld) is really easy. Clean all the sealing surfaces. Carefully place the butyl tape around the perimeter (on thecar) and push the glass onto it. That's some sticky crap.
+Quote Post
william harris
post Jan 21 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #8

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

I used a small scribe with a hook on the end to work my way under all the sealant at the driver's side lower corner. Once you have a path way open, I used a heavy guage guitar string and cut a broom handle to use on each end and then sawed away. Be careful, as you get near the release point the window will fall into the car. So have a catcher work with you. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 21 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #9

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

To remove-NAPA and some other smaller stores carry a wire specifically designed for this, it is a gold looking spool, with serrations around it. You simply cut off a length,work it through a section and "saw" the old material out. As for installation, the problem with the butyl tape is that it is hard to get a solid seal with no voids and not crack the glass. I prefer a tube of winshield sealant, this way it comes out in a liqiud form so you can compress it and it hardens just like the tape. Professional shops also use the "caulk" type. it can also be found at NAPA and i beleive Advance Auto carries it too.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 21 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

I've never had a problem with the butyl tape. Seals evenly all the way around. Of course I take lots of time and apply it to the window frame very carefully and evenly.
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Jan 21 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,943

What diameter butyl seal? 3/16"? 1/4"? 5/16"? 3/8"?
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 21 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #12

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 21 2005, 02:48 PM)
I've never had a problem with the butyl tape. Seals evenly all the way around. Of course I take lots of time and apply it to the window frame very carefully and evenly.

Oooops (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) , butyl tape....not polypropylene. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 21 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Pretty sure I've used 1/4" in the past.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jan 21 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #14

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just took one out today. remove the trim stick a wire through the seal and work it back and forth carefully catch it when it drops out. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Jan 21 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #15

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

I knew someone had done a great step-by-step for this.

Here is Eric Shea's Rear Window Fix Thread

Sean
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:16 AM