Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 911 Dilemma, WTF
X911IC
post Jul 16 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,026
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 16 2014, 08:05 PM) *

Yeah, Mark, I'll probably have to take her to Spain for tacos, Italy for Lasagna, Germany for strudel, Holland for cheese and somewhere in the Orient for sushi ... and the UK for under-cooked eggs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I can imagine how you feel when parking your blue car. As it is, we even try to park the old Toyota trucks far out in the parking lot so we don't get door dings, but it almost always happens - some turd pulls up next to us and you can barely slide a bushiness card between us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Dianne could probably tell you some stories about my reactions when I see the damage they've inflicted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Holy S#IT ... you should see some of the responses the 232 guys are sending me.
About a 50/50 split on selling/restoring there too, as well as 3 very interested parties so far (notable guys that I know) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

"As you probably know, out of the 232, only 60 know in existence world-wide ..." - (which I knew) ... and out of the 60, only 30 are #s matching - (I didn't know)

"Some restored ones going for 600K (Euros)!" - (I didn't know)

"Running projects have been selling for $400K." - (I didn't know)

"Mark,

I can tell you that these cars have appreciated faster than just about any other in the last 10 years. Mine was a matching numbers 901 that when I bought it ran but needed totally gone through and had to have all new front and rear fenders pans and rockers. I cant tell you what I sold it for due to an agreement I have but I will tell you that I heard that it cost over 200,000 euros to restore it and it is or was being offered for 500,000 dollars. I also sold a 65 factory sunroof car matching numbers 15 years ago for $2500. Still kicking myself!"

"Mark,

I say, in simple terms; Keep it and fix it for the following reasons ;
#1, Your purchase cost in 1977 (37 years ago) is close to $ 0000.00 in 2014 dollars.
#2, You own it now. How much time, effort, drama and resources would it take to locate another and then fix it ?
#3, You have the resources and network to restore it, in place.
#4, You have the passion and love the cars."

"Mark,

Lol
YOU my friend know how to whip up a bunch of grown men into a frenzy!

Once the dust settles and you believe you have REAL offers I would love a chance to buy your car."

I'm waiting on Jerry Seinfeld's reply (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

This is turning into an interesting little journey ...

Hey, anybody got Jay Leno's phone # handy ??? ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mark, My friend's brother restores all of Jerry Seinfeld's cars. Send me a PM with your number and I will have him pass it on the Jerry. I can also get word to Magnus Walker through a mutual friend if interested. Sorry have no contact with Jay Leno. Neil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 16 2014, 10:37 PM
Post #42

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

in all fairness, i had no idea about the rarity of the car. wow. `
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 16 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #43

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(X911IC @ Jul 16 2014, 09:04 PM) *
Mark, My friend's brother restores all of Jerry Seinfeld's cars. Send me a PM with your number and I will have him pass it on the Jerry. I can also get word to Magnus Walker through a mutual friend if interested. Sorry have no contact with Jay Leno. Neil
Thanks, Neil. Sam Cabiglio handles Jerry's stable and is on the 232 distribution, as is Magnus, so they should have received the email (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

I need to get in touch with Jay for other reasons ... I don't think Elliot likes my jokes anymore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I spent about 35 years in the high-end security electronics industry, Kev ... I can see my cars right now even though they're 5 miles away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jul 17 2014, 12:34 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Mark,
restore and keep. The only 911 Bubble is if you don't prep the bodywork before painting !
PM sent.
Marty
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 17 2014, 01:03 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

I'd sure listen to Marty's advice...something tells me it's to be heeded.

That said,[i] were I in your shoes, at your stage in life and with the other Porsches you mention, I'd move the 232 onto the next owner unless it would give YOU untold pleasure to do the kind of things with it you mention re: events. Otherwise, I'd rather sink some of that money into other projects—especially if you've got 1-2 SWB cars that provide the same aesthetic and more utility. And...a 914 (you must be alright (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

Of course, one car enthusiast's definition of "utility" is very different to another's. I have no interest in the concours deal, but I have great respect for those who do.

My two cents, and probably worth what it cost you. Cool car, cool story. Would be neat if it stays on this side of the Atlantic, but there are no guarantees, are there?

Whatever you decide to do, and no matter what the market does, you've already won.

pete
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jul 17 2014, 03:36 AM
Post #46

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 17 2014, 01:26 AM) *

QUOTE(X911IC @ Jul 16 2014, 09:04 PM) *
Thanks, Neil. Sam Cabiglio handles Jerry's stable and is on the 232 distribution, as is Magnus, so they should have received the email (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

I need to get in touch with Jay for other reasons ... I don't think Elliot likes my jokes anymore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I spent about 35 years in the high-end security electronics industry, Kev ... I can see my cars right now even though they're 5 miles away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hit up "Road Scholars" also (Ingram collection).
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 17 2014, 03:48 AM
Post #47

Can I still cruise with you guys if I buy a Beck Spyder with some of the proceeds? I've always wanted one of these too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

It's not a real Porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image

Note to self: Stay away from the Hwy 41/Hwy 46 junction (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 17 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There's a rolling chassis 550 on e-bay...only $14,500. You could put WHATEVER YOU WANT in that if you sell the '64.

Yeah that car...what a piece of history. The 911 was a new car being released back then so just imagine Ferry, Butzi, etc, scrutinizing the first cars carefully, checking, re-checking with their clip boards and lab coats. And to have matching numbers....wow. It's extremely rare. Glad you have it. I bet the right buyer would pay pretty much whatever you want within reason. But again...if you have the cash and decide you want to do the resto go for it. These are the kinds of dilemmas I would like to have!

+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 17 2014, 08:58 AM
Post #49

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 16 2014, 04:47 AM) *

QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jul 16 2014, 07:39 AM) *

.....keep it in the family for the next 50 years until Porsche has their 100th aneversary. The market would be at its highest then.

I don't think it will. 50 years from now the early 911's will be as appealing to the people around then as a Model T is to most of us now. Cool to look at but so removed from our modern world you won't have any interest owning one.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Besides.......cash is lighter.

914 has more cool factor right now Mark.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 17 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Regarding the fellow interested in your car: if his use of the English language were any less perfect I'd say he sounds like someone who is fishing or it's a scam. I do not know him on the other boards and he is probably the finest upstanding guy in the universe. But he just sounds so formal and willing it just makes me suspicious. I do not mean to impugn his character if I'm way off base.

But then again, I'm originally from NY...we're always thinking people are trying to "get over."

Good luck.

Paul
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 17 2014, 09:27 AM
Post #51

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 17 2014, 02:34 AM) *

Mark,
restore and keep. The only 911 Bubble is if you don't prep the bodywork before painting !
PM sent.
Marty

Too many 911's built to sustain the current price levels. I guess we'll find out soon enough.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 17 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #52

It's hard to read the future, especially in these days of economic turmoil, but even 912s and 914s (in vey good condition) appear to be increasing in value.

The market value for first year 901s/911s still appear to climbing to nutty numbers from the responses I'm receiving from most of the '232' guys ... and 'stupid money' at that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I wonder if first year '53 Corvettes are still going for big buck these days? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 18 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #53

watching "what's my car worth" and a 21 window kombi selling for well over $!00k (insert eye popping smiley) had me all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . apparently there are un-popped bubbles. i wonder if you will have to sign some sort of non-disclosure agreement when the buyer for the 911 surfaces?

k
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 18 2014, 12:05 PM
Post #54

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

I can connect you with Ingram's if you want...

I know you've gotten tons of advice, from every angle, and the last thing you need is more....but...I would recommend selling it, and here's why:

You said you don't have time to work on it, to get it done RIGHT. You have access to the resources, but are you willing to spend the time and money to watch it get done? Also, say you can get $200k now (more on that in a sec), if you put $100k into restoration, will you get MORE than $300k for it? You'll need to because if you can profit $200k now...why wait to make the same amount? I recently want through that dilema with a car (albeit, on a MUCH smaller scale).

If the guy is eager to talk to you after throwing out a "in excess of $150K" comment, it's worth a lot more. There are guys in Germany that pay crazy money for rare Porsche's....I've sold to a guy that works with some of them. Paid top dollar for a perfect 914 I had.

There are 30 of your car IN THE WORLD...how many are currently changing hands?

will values go up down the road? probably, but unless YOU plan to do the restoration, it would be good for the car, and the collector community, to get that car to someone that will do it now.

Take the money, invest it, buy other cars, etc. Parlay the metal, rubber and vinyl in your garage into bigger things...

Good Luck with your decision!!

My $0.02.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 18 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

If I was in your shoes I would spend a bit more time to find out if the 150K offer is reasonable, and if it was - sell, payoff the mortgage and get ahead elsewhere (even buying a beck!).

As other commented you can spend 100K on a resto, maybe the value will go up (maybe down), and after putting that much cash into it really doesn't seem like you will get any more money for it (maybe 25K or so more?) and that's a big gamble on an unknown return.

Or if it is really important to you, keep it stashed away..
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 18 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #56

Losing my mind...

Another thing to consider...now that you've 'let the cat out of the bag' so to speak, you will now and forever be hounded by inquistors wondering what you are doing with it, are you selling it, offering unsolicited advice, etc...
+Quote Post
bmendel
post Jul 18 2014, 01:35 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 877

You guys need to reset your idea of value here, vin #300250, outside the more valuable first 232 range, sold restored for over 400k a few months ago, and will be at auction again in Monterey in August, they are estimating $450-550k

Euro911's car is probably worth 300k or more as is, the guy trying to buy it was looking to quickly double his money...
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 18 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #58

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Wow! Its amazing the 911s are leaving the 356's in the dust. And which is why I think the amazing prices right now are temporary.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 18 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #59

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(bmendel @ Jul 18 2014, 03:35 PM) *

You guys need to reset your idea of value here, vin #300250, outside the more valuable first 232 range, sold restored for over 400k a few months ago, and will be at auction again in Monterey in August, they are estimating $450-550k

Euro911's car is probably worth 300k or more as is, the guy trying to buy it was looking to quickly double his money...

OK, fair, but the point still stands. How much more $$ is the car worth restored vs. the investment of time and $$ needed to get there?
And I agree, don't take the $150k.

so...float it out there for big money, if someone bites, great, if not, THEN make the decision on what to do. You never know till you ask...
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 18 2014, 02:54 PM
Post #60

mark is getting richer in every other post #. RON! QUICK!! drive over and stop marks head from spinning.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:53 AM