Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Easiest and most accurate way to adjust Side Shift linkage, Expanding the Racer Chris Method
ClayPerrine
post Jul 20 2014, 08:39 AM
Post #1

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Here is the easiest, most accurate way to adjust your side shift linkage. I tried this on Betty's car, and she raves about the shifting. So, on to step 1. Please excuse the crappy cell phone pictures.

1. Remove the cover over the shift console.
2. Remove the carpet around the shifter.
3. Put the shifter in neutral, and loosen the pinch bolt on the shift rod. This is accessible behind the shifter.
4. Completely disconnect the shift rod by pulling the shifter back into the third gear position. You should see the coupler laying against the floorboard (like in the picture below).

Attached Image

5. From under the car, put the side shift console on the transmission into 4th gear. This is done by pulling down on the shift rod and pulling it rearward.

Attached Image

6. Back inside the car, put a rubber bungee cord around the base of the shifter, and loop the other end over the right hand door handle.

Attached Image

7. Make sure that the bungee stays at the base of the shifter.

Attached Image

8. Lift the shift rod inside the tunnel up, and slide it into the coupler on the bottom of the shifter. This is the hardest part of the job. The hole is small and both parts sag downward. You may have to use needle nose pliers or something like them to hold them up.

9. Once you have the coupling done, move the shifter as far forward as it will go.

10. From under the car, move the shift console into the neutral position.

11. Remove the bungee cord from the shifter, then move the shifter until the part below the curve is vertical. Tighten the pinch bolt.

12. Reinstall the carpet and the cover over the shift console.

You are done, go drive it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Why does this work, you ask?

There are 3 fore and aft "shift planes" in a 914 transmission. Reverse/First, Second/Third, and Fourth/Fifth. When you place the transmission into Fourth, you are providing enough clearance to hook up the shift coupler, and you are insuring that the transmission end of the shift linkage is in the fourth/fifth shift plane. The bungee cord around the shift lever pulls the shifter into the fourth/fifth shift plane and holds it there while you slide the rod into the coupler. Then putting the trans back into neutral allows you to set the proper location of the neutral gate for each shift plane by making sure that the lower portion of the shifter is vertical.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ClayPerrine   Easiest and most accurate way to adjust Side Shift linkage   Jul 20 2014, 08:39 AM
Cap'n Krusty   Having done this an untold number of times over th...   Jul 20 2014, 09:30 AM
Hank914   Having done this an untold number of times over t...   Jul 20 2014, 09:54 AM
jim_hoyland   Clay, Good write up :) Is this going to work fo...   Jul 20 2014, 12:11 PM
Dr Evil   I find my method simpler, and easier for Rennshift...   Jul 20 2014, 12:33 PM
stugray   I just adjusted my new renshifter a few days ago. ...   Jul 20 2014, 12:49 PM
Dr Evil   I just adjusted my new renshifter a few days ago....   Jul 20 2014, 12:57 PM
914itis   Slight hijack. I have used both method with good r...   Jul 20 2014, 01:18 PM
Dr Evil   When adjusted correctly with all components in goo...   Jul 20 2014, 02:11 PM
ClayPerrine   When adjusted correctly with all components in go...   Jul 20 2014, 06:09 PM
914itis   Thanks Doc, Great to know.   Jul 20 2014, 02:27 PM
Harpo   Awesome thanks. This is next on my list of things...   Jul 20 2014, 06:35 PM
Mblizzard   So I have a question. Why is it necessary to remo...   Jul 21 2014, 07:54 PM
ClayPerrine   So I have a question. Why is it necessary to rem...   Jul 21 2014, 09:21 PM
Racer Chris   ... as is the inside of the coupler. ... Not tru...   Jul 22 2014, 11:20 AM
SirAndy   The Rennshifter is easier to adjust because of the...   Jul 21 2014, 08:29 PM
Mblizzard   Did not work well for me. Had all gears but hit 4t...   Jul 22 2014, 10:52 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 12:48 PM