Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1974 LE Value?, Curious about price...
deputydog95
post Jul 22 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,612
Region Association: South East States

What would you guys pay for a 74 LE Bumbebee. Fully documented, restored, 65k miles, with a COA?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 22 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 22 2014, 09:57 PM) *

What would you guys pay for a 74 LE Bumbebee. Fully documented, restored, 65k miles, with a COA?

What options if any?
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 22 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

It depends on condition. Do you have a particular VIN in mind?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 22 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #4

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 22 2014, 07:58 PM) *

What options if any?

LE cars were fully optioned.

Quality of restoration affects value. I have heard some selling in the 20k range. I think Jeff keeps track of high end 914 sales on his website.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 22 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

LE cars were fully optioned. Quality of restoration affects value. I have heard some selling in the 20k range.

Correct. But, if truly only 65k original miles and a very high quality restoration, I would think easily in the mid 20s. Maybe more to the right buyer.

As cool as the Bumblebees are from the rarity factor, I would still prefer the "standard" versions (with appearance group) in bright colors over the Bumblebee.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 22 2014, 10:02 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 22 2014, 11:25 PM) *

What options if any?

Quality of restoration affects value. I have heard some selling in the 20k range. I think Jeff keeps track of high end 914 sales on his website.

Hmmm. I was given to understand that was not true.
Factory options such as defrost rear window, headlight washer system, intermitent wipers, a variety of sound systems and dealer options like elctric antenae, air conditioning....
That was what I was asking about.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 22 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Bdstone is referring to factory options, with respect to "fully optioned". When it gets to what the dealers put on, no limits there. All sorts of odd stuff available.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 22 2014, 10:54 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 23 2014, 12:12 AM) *

Bdstone is referring to factory options, with respect to "fully optioned". When it gets to what the dealers put on, no limits there. All sorts of odd stuff available.

Sorry, have to disagree.
See Registry https://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/914LEAuthentication.htm

Many options were NOT included and had to be ordered as a factory option and some options were "dealer" options provided by the dealer only and not included.
While it's true many options that were NOT standard to the standard 914's were in fact included in the LE's (sway bars for example), it's incorrect to say that all LE's were fully optioned (which is to say every option available was included).
Scroll down to the center of the registry page and you'll see a chart.
Btw, Jeff?
Do I recall a page that listed in detail the options available from the factory and the dealer?
I'm soon to be sending off for my COA and that would be valuable information in helping mother porsche make an accurate COA.
TY
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 22 2014, 11:02 PM
Post #9

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 22 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Sorry, have to disagree.
See Registry https://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/ (odd-I can't cut and paste the exact link on the registry page. Click on 914 LE Authenticity & Value
Many options were NOT included and had to be ordered as a factory option and some options were "dealer" options provided by the dealer only and not included.
While it's true many options that were NOT standard to the standard 914's were in fact included in the LE's (sway bars for example), it's incorrect to say that all LE's were fully optioned (which is to say every option available was included).
Btw, Jeff?
Do I recall a page that listed in detail the options available from the factory and the dealer?
I'm soon to be sending off for my COA and that would be valuable information in helping mother porsche make an accurate COA.
TY

While technically correct, the options you're talking about would have very little effect on the value of an LE.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 22 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 23 2014, 01:02 AM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 22 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Sorry, have to disagree.
See Registry https://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/ (odd-I can't cut and paste the exact link on the registry page. Click on 914 LE Authenticity & Value
Btw, Jeff?
TY

While technically correct, the options you're talking about would have very little effect on the value of an LE.

One of the options is M220 Sperr differential (80 percent) for $726
I dare say finding one with that option would certainly effect it's value.
Addedum-and as I recall they were not dealer included with AC. No doubt that would effect valuation.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 22 2014, 11:21 PM
Post #11

914 Wiring Harnesses

There is some misunderstanding going on here.

The 914LE cars came with factory optional equipment M-778, which included most but not all factory options available in 1974 - sway bars, center console foglights etc. Other factory optional equipment was available but not provided on all LE cars, unless they were ordered that way from the factory. Things like the rear window defroster, intermittent wiper relay...I know of 914LE cars that have these options, like any 914 but these were not part of the LE (Can Am) equipment package.

Dealer options were all over the place depending on what a dealer could persuade you to impulse buy - A/C, nerf bars, mudlfaps, radios, ski racks etc. but most of the factory items would also have been available for purchase separately through dealership parts departments. So if'n you wanted that LSD or Bilsteins you could have them, but they were not part of the Can Am equipment package.

Check my Classic site for the Factory "Optional Equipment" list and the "Accessories" page for dealer and period aftermarket accessories.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 23 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 23 2014, 01:21 AM) *

There is some misunderstanding going on here.

The 914LE cars came with factory optional equipment M-778, which included most but not all factory options available in 1974 - sway bars, center console foglights etc. Other factory optional equipment was available but not provided on all LE cars, unless they were ordered that way from the factory. Things like the rear window defroster, intermittent wiper relay...I know of 914LE cars that have these options, like any 914 but these were not part of the LE (Can Am) equipment package.

Dealer options were all over the place depending on what a dealer could persuade you to impulse buy - A/C, nerf bars, mudlfaps, radios, ski racks etc. but most of the factory items would also have been available for purchase separately through dealership parts departments. So if'n you wanted that LSD or Bilsteins you could have them, but they were not part of the Can Am equipment package.

Check my Classic site for the Factory "Optional Equipment" list and the "Accessories" page for dealer and period aftermarket accessories.

Interesting. Does that mean LE's that were ordered with factory options would have those options on the COA and ones that had options added by the dealer (either factory or dealer options) would not have the information on the COA? Alternatively, if you could prove to Ma Porsche that you have the correct factory or dealer options would they include it on the COA?
I guess I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect and what to plan for....
Opps, sorry for the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)
Addedum-btw, have you EVER seen one with the Sperr?
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 23 2014, 12:25 AM
Post #13

Great info, Jeff... thanks!

And, good questions too, HalfMoon. Sounds like one could easily end up having options on a new car that wouldn't appear on the COA.

Deputydog, I assume you are referring to this car, for sale on Samba, $24k?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1628538

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 23 2014, 05:23 AM
Post #14

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 23 2014, 02:19 AM) *
Alternatively, if you could prove to Ma Porsche that you have the correct factory or dealer options would they include it on the COA?

No, PCNA will not change a CoA! I've tried twice - once on a 1974 Carrera RS that was not even listed as a Carrera, it was so easy because of the specific VIN, but no. Second on a 1970 that they listed the Incorrect Interior, I sent them all the Proof, but again they refused
+Quote Post
deputydog95
post Jul 23 2014, 05:58 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 22 2014, 11:07 PM) *

It depends on condition. Do you have a particular VIN in mind?

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 22 2014, 11:25 PM) *

What options if any?

What site? I'm not familiar with it.

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 22 2014, 11:39 PM) *

LE cars were fully optioned. Quality of restoration affects value. I have heard some selling in the 20k range.

Correct. But, if truly only 65k original miles and a very high quality restoration, I would think easily in the mid 20s. Maybe more to the right buyer.

As cool as the Bumblebees are from the rarity factor, I would still prefer the "standard" versions (with appearance group) in bright colors over the Bumblebee.

Agreed. Looking for something collectible though.

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 23 2014, 02:25 AM) *

Great info, Jeff... thanks!

And, good questions too, HalfMoon. Sounds like one could easily end up having options on a new car that wouldn't appear on the COA.

Deputydog, I assume you are referring to this car, for sale on Samba, $24k?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1628538

Yes, this is the car. I actually prefer the creamsicle version, but I like this too.

So, is this a fair price? I've seen prices on LE's all over place. It's hard for me to judge.
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jul 23 2014, 06:02 AM
Post #16

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654

I need a bumblebee. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 23 2014, 09:03 AM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

Oh, John Forbes' car. He has several 914 LE's and this one looks excellent from the photos. 914LE's broke through the mid-$20K range a couple years ago, several known transactions for the best quality cars in that range over the past few years.
+Quote Post
deputydog95
post Jul 23 2014, 12:02 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 23 2014, 11:03 AM) *

Oh, John Forbes' car. He has several 914 LE's and this one looks excellent from the photos. 914LE's broke through the mid-$20K range a couple years ago, several known transactions for the best quality cars in that range over the past few years.

So, do we like this car?
Is John a solid seller?
What do we think of the price on this?
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 23 2014, 01:29 PM
Post #19

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 23 2014, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 23 2014, 11:03 AM) *

So, do we like this car?
Is John a solid seller?
What do we think of the price on this?

I Like what I see, but I have not seen this specific car. John has lots of 914 experience, you should go see this car yourself and make a determination. I can tell you that high quality 914 LE's are difficult to find. Most LE's are driver quality or project cars.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 23 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #20

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Deputy, you're way overthinking this.

Find a good 914, not the "best one out there". Drive it, fiddle with it, learn to live with it.

Sell it later, or not, if you like. If you don't trash it, it will likely be worth at least what you paid for it. And in the meantime, you've gotten to drive a fun little two-seater go-kart on the street.

--DD
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:45 PM