Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cleaning a Transaxle
Larmo63
post Jul 22 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I'm pulling the trans for the new clutch install, etc. and I'd like to clean all of the black (tar?) gunk off of my transmission. What are the recommendations here? Dip it? Degreaser and manpower? I'm doing new cable, fluid too, so.....?

Ideas? Experience? Is my tranny supposed to have all that black shit all over it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 22 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Dollar Tree has "Awesome" cleaner & degreaser. Yellow color, in bottles. It works awesome!
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Jul 22 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #3

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

people have said that purple cleaner available at hardware stores or FLAPs. i personally have used gasoline in a tub with a stiff bristle brush. scraped at it with plastic putty knife. did it in the shade, outdoors. DO NOT soak it and forget it. Basically a sponge bath.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 22 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #4

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 22 2014, 09:15 PM) *

I'm pulling the trans for the new clutch install, etc. and I'd like to clean all of the black (tar?) gunk off of my transmission. What are the recommendations here? Dip it? Degreaser and manpower? I'm doing new cable, fluid too, so.....?

Ideas? Experience? Is my tranny supposed to have all that black shit all over it?

I have used E Z off oven cleaner on the hard deposits. Don't dip it. Cover the vent on top.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 22 2014, 10:46 PM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I wouldn't use "any" of that stuff without testing it on "magnesium".

Engine and oven degreasers will pit the mag almost instantly. Google is a great tool. Check for ways to clean magnesium. Gots ta be careful.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 22 2014, 10:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,889

Don't use EZ OFF on Aluminum or Magnesium. . it eats into the surface and causes pits and dark discoloration. . l. .
Gasoline works great for the heavy deposits, over a drip pan, and out in the driveway in pleanty of fresh air. . use a water soluble cleaner for the final cleaning so you can wash it off with soap and water and a hose. .
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 22 2014, 10:54 PM
Post #7

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jul 23 2014, 04:15 AM
Post #8

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I use a brass wire wheel on a right angle drill. I buy them in a package with several sizes and shapes. The soft brass will remove the gunk without damaging the surface. Bout an hour and I'm done. No chemicals.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 23 2014, 05:40 AM
Post #9

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Kerosene. And a stiff brush, just baste the tranny in a large enough tray/container. Finish up with a mild degreaser.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 23 2014, 12:15 PM
Post #10

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For those of you worried about Ez-off and mag, relax. I did a study on this and posted it around 2006-7 IIRC. I have access to lost of parts and left the EZ-off on an intermediate plate for weeks. No change. No erosion.

However, some of the other options may be better cleaners. I have no data to back it up, but I can research this in the future as it seems like valuable info.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jul 23 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #11

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jul 22 2014, 09:51 PM) *

Don't use EZ OFF on Aluminum or Magnesium. . it eats into the surface and causes pits and dark discoloration. . l. .
Gasoline works great for the heavy deposits, over a drip pan, and out in the driveway in pleanty of fresh air. . use a water soluble cleaner for the final cleaning so you can wash it off with soap and water and a hose. .

.......Ya..with a good "citrus"cleaner.....& no wire brushes!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stones.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)(gasoline works wonder's)but I prefer "CITRUS"
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 23 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #12

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 22 2014, 08:15 PM) *

First, I had no problem with oven cleaner. Leave it in a 55 gallon drum for a couple of weeks and it could be a real problem though. The issue is time and quantity.

Second, it is hard nasty work. I prefer chlorinated brake cleaner. I work in toxicology and I can tell you it isn't good for you. On the other hand it takes no prisoners and as Mr Sparkle says, it disrespects dirt. Anything oily and cleaner than your gunk will work as a substitute. Detergents act as sort of oils, but have the advantage of bonding to water too. Pure dishwasher soap is good too. I like Dawn. I buy 3-packs.

Third. The wire brush. Dremel brushes and bigger spinning brushes actually get the dirt off when the oil is gone. WARNING: spinning wire brushes loose their bristles like arrows. I have pulled a dremel bristle that pierced my nose straight on. Note the proximity to the eyes. I had goggles on.

Finally. Paint it! Magnesium very badly wants to combine with oxygen and return to the earth. Note the erosion already present on the case. I have had excellent results with grey epoxy DP-50 covered with clear coat to protect the epoxy from UV.

I am doing my third case right now. These trannys are fun to work with and pretty straightforward once you have made some mistakes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
'72914guy
post Jul 23 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,969

You could try going to a do it yourself car wash, and use hot and soapy water with the pressure washer. That should get a lot of the gunk of the tranny, and the engine too.
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post Jul 23 2014, 03:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 14,400

I use simple green, let it soak in, might take a couple soaking. Great stuff, and by degradable product.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jul 23 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #15

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151

....Simple green,is another good cleaner! I 2nd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stones.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tunez.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 23 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #16

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 23 2014, 01:23 PM) *

Finally. Paint it! Magnesium very badly wants to combine with oxygen and return to the earth.

IIRC, the alloy used in the trans cases (and in mag case engines) is one of the ones where the metal forms a "sacrificial layer" of oxidation on the outside, and then stops. The layer keeps new metal from being exposed to oxygen, so nothing else oxidizes. So painting is not necessary.

In fact, if you like to slop paint on really thick, you might actually impede the cooling of the trans! If it's bad enough, it might even be enough to notice--in racing conditions... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jul 23 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #17

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 22 2014, 09:31 PM) *

Dollar Tree has "Awesome" cleaner & degreaser. Yellow color, in bottles. It works awesome!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

That stuff is totaly AWSOME!! I spray it on, massage it with a wire brush and rinse it off! Grease and Oil just wash away!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 23 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #18

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 23 2014, 08:11 PM) *

Finally. Paint it! Magnesium very badly wants to combine with oxygen and return to the earth.

IIRC, the alloy used in the trans cases (and in mag case engines) is one of the ones where the metal forms a "sacrificial layer" of oxidation on the outside, and then stops. The layer keeps new metal from being exposed to oxygen, so nothing else oxidizes. So painting is not necessary.

In fact, if you like to slop paint on really thick, you might actually impede the cooling of the trans! If it's bad enough, it might even be enough to notice--in racing conditions... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD

I would have to disagree with this. The Mag will suffer exfoliating oxidation as seen in wet and salt road climates. In CA not as bad, but on the East, and other parts of the country you want protection. They covered them from the factory for a reason.
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jul 23 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #19

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 23 2014, 05:11 PM) *

--DD

We have found that after cleaning, soak the mag case diesel fuel. The diesel has enough oil to find it's way into the Mag and stop the oxidizing. Rinse and let dry, there is still plenty of oil in pores of the metal.
Or clean and spray with WD-40...
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 23 2014, 09:19 PM
Post #20

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 23 2014, 04:11 PM) *

--DD

That is an interesting thought. I still see plenty of very pure magnesium oxide all over the place though. And insee regions of case erosion, so in some environments corrosion is a problem. If we baby the cars as we probably will, that should largely halt. Physicists would say that if you want to lose heat fast and paint, then use black. Compromise? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:47 PM