Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Under cowl A/C unit design input thread and gauging interest, replacing behr with burrr!
Gauging interest
Under cowl A/C unit choices
I'd like a Model B [ 18 ] ** [40.91%]
I'd like a Model A [ 22 ] ** [50.00%]
I'd like a Model H [ 4 ] ** [9.09%]
Total Votes: 44
Guests cannot vote 
Chris914n6
post Jul 23 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Jackstands are my life.

Group: Members
Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Dusted off another one of my projects from when I first built my waterpumper. Heater and A/C replacing the factory fresh air blower unit.

History. I built the unit using a tube/fin core from my Uncle's buddy Dave @ Hotrod Air. HRA went under in the recession and so did the company that actually made the cores. Oddly enough this is a benefit despite having made some really nice wood vacuum forming bucks.

The good news. For version 2 I went with separate heater and evap cores. The heater is off the shelf, I just need to trim the tubes. The evap I'm having made by a company I met at the 2013 SEMA show and is modern plate type. Blower is a 3 speed.

The nitty gritty. Uses stock controls and stock air deflector boxes. Hoses run Pass side like DPD/VPC. I did design a setup for modern controls and deflector boxes with a separate side vent path, but it's a bit complicated to make.

I have plans to offer 3 versions.

Model B - A/C and heat for us waterpumpers. Runs recirc through the heater tube holes so no cutting. Unit is too tight of a fit for fresh air. I'll have an optional drainage piece for those that don't seal the grill.

Model A - A/C only for aircooled cars. Because the heater tube holes are being used for heat, air intake will be from the grill opening. You could cut a 2.5" hole in the cowl for recirc instead if you wanted or use just one heat exchanger.

Model H - Heater only for waterpumpers. Same unit as the A/C only except that recirc is possible through the heater hose holes OR model B with no evap, haven't decided yet.

In the kit - Main unit, mounting brackets, air hoses & clamps, blower wiring, expansion valve, instructions.

Options - Cabin filter. Grill water drain.

The other pieces...
Condensers- it depends on the radiator you using and what you can make fit, no point in me trying to keep an inventory. The exception could be a replacement to the DPD/VPC Condenser unit for air-cooled cars, I haven't gotten past doodles yet.
Receiver-driers of the universal type can be had on Ebay for under $15 shipped, I'll pick one out for you, same with the pressure switch.
Hoses, too many variations and too much overhead for me, but Vegas has 3 places that will build them on your car so I assume that's practically everywhere. Prices trend $100-$150.
Hard lines- Research has spec'd it as 6063 aluminum. DPD/VPC used hard lines along the rocker and up the wheel wells.
Heater hose- nothing special about it but it's long and 5/8"ID.

Prices... about the same as the Hotrod kits. Manufacturing time is unknown and the biggest factor of course.

I will have to buy 50+ evap cores to make this happen, so even if you are a year or more away from buying one speak up.

Any feedback and who wants one?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 23 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #2

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

In for H
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 23 2014, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Jackstands are my life.

I promised a pic in another thread. Problem is I can't show the unit without giving away the details on how I got it to fit to the 2 other known fellas trying to do this. So this will have to do. It's all V1 stuff with the buck and pieces for the flapper boxes I was going to run with.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/lh4.googleusercontent.com-431-1406178212.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
914dave
post Jul 24 2014, 04:38 AM
Post #4

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

I'd be interested in an AC only unit for my six conversion. Will the the AC will function in the standard heat and defrost channels? I would really like to hide the unit under the dash instead of below. I have a front mounted cooler that I made that should allow for the condensor, if its not too big. I have a 14 1/2 x 7 x 4 1/2" envelope to mount the condensor in direct air flow. There's a fan behind the oil cooler for traffic situations.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jul 24 2014, 06:58 AM
Post #5

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Model B for me. I'm so happy you're taking this on, one of the few times I can remember that procrastination's worked out for me.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 24 2014, 07:27 AM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Model A --

so do i understand correctly that this would be put in place of where the current fresh air box is, under the cowel, just in front of the gas tank?

can you give me more information about how this all would hook up, such as the other necessary parts and how it hooks up, wiring, evap, compressor etc.
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Jul 24 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,660
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 24 2014, 06:27 AM) *

Model A --

so do i understand correctly that this would be put in place of where the current fresh air box is, under the cowel, just in front of the gas tank?

can you give me more information about how this all would hook up, such as the other necessary parts and how it hooks up, wiring, evap, compressor etc.

I am definitely in for Model B . I have a LS conversion and have been looking for someone like you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 24 2014, 01:32 PM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

+1 on a B, here.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 24 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

QUOTE(914dave @ Jul 24 2014, 03:38 AM) *

I'd be interested in an AC only unit for my six conversion. Will the the AC will function in the standard heat and defrost channels? I would really like to hide the unit under the dash instead of below. I have a front mounted cooler that I made that should allow for the condensor, if its not too big. I have a 14 1/2 x 7 x 4 1/2" envelope to mount the condensor in direct air flow. There's a fan behind the oil cooler for traffic situations.

It is a direct replacement in form and function for the stock fresh air box. 2 outlets to the stock air deflector boxes. For aircooled motors the heat side stays stock.

In the first pic I have a piece of cardboard blocking the defrost channel from fresh air to get more out of the side vent. Foggy windows not much of a problem where I'm at.

The smallest aftermarket parallel flow condensers I've seen were 10"x18" or 12"x16". Might be something shorter in OEM. Found an 84-89 911 130mm x 477mm for ~$500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) It's essentially just a high pressure ready heat exchanger so something else could work.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 24 2014, 02:14 PM
Post #10

Jackstands are my life.

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 24 2014, 06:27 AM) *

Model A --

You will need a compressor on the motor, pretty sure there is a kit of sorts by a member. You will need ac hoses made (local shop ideally) to go from the compressor to the receiver-drier and condenser (usually mounted in the front truck), from the condenser to the expansion valve and evaporator (my contributions), then from the evaporator back to the compressor. I think it was Bowlsby that had the VPC/DPD system install manuals on his website, the way they did it can't be beat.
You will need an A/C on/off switch (I've got a few ideas to share). The new blower is a 3 speed like the stock controls so that's easy to wire, I might make a harness.
+Quote Post
andys
post Jul 24 2014, 02:49 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 24 2014, 12:43 PM) *

The smallest aftermarket parallel flow condensers I've seen were 10"x18" or 12"x16". Might be something shorter in OEM. Found an 84-89 911 130mm x 477mm for ~$500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) It's essentially just a high pressure ready heat exchanger so something else could work.

When I was kicking around some ideas and trying to find a small evaporator, I considered a power steering oil cooler as they're available in small sizes. Attach an expansion valve and fittings.

Andys
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 25 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #12

Jackstands are my life.

Ok, a teaser pic...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/lh3.googleusercontent.com-431-1406317936.1.jpg)

Looks like I'll need to add a rubber wiper mount to my 914rubber shopping list.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 25 2014, 02:04 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Model B for me.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jul 25 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks for taking on this project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I had a plan of redesigning the fresh air box by use of a 3d printer, but my project never gained traction. What type of metering device did you have in mind?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 25 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #15

Jackstands are my life.

Thanks for the Thanks. I live in Vegas, it was kinda mandatory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

V2 is turning out better in every way over V1... guess sitting on it for 10 years wasn't such a bad thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

Metering device?
+Quote Post
racerx9146
post Jul 25 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #16

good design never goes out of date..

Member No.: 1,483
Region Association: Northern California

As for me, been thinking of this for some time. As I get older comfort trumps ultimate performance!

Hope this comes to reality.

Daron
+Quote Post
dadaDaveed
post Jul 25 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,071

Ooh, Model B for me! Texas only has two seasons. Summer and Summerer.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jul 25 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #18

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

Ya, type B....SoCal like Texas.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 8 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #19

Jackstands are my life.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

So 19 evaps spoken for on just World in 2 weeks felt like a good start. I've been building a full mockup of B that I'm hoping to get installed and release pics this weekend. I've got the design down to 1 body mod and a few screw holes, plus various ac hose holes in line with the DPD system.

Enjoy your weekend... I'll be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Aug 8 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A would be great, if only I could find some good heat exchangers for a /6 that work and don't cost a fortune. Maybe put the condenser in front of the oil cooler in the front.
Heat and a/c in a 914 would be awesome.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:46 PM