Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paddleshifter?, Transmission linkage
Dunc
post Jul 24 2014, 09:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Has anyone installed a paddleshift system on the 901 transmission? I would be interested to hear about the experience....i.e. installation difficulties, cost, vendor, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 24 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I don't think a paddle shift will work on a fully mechanical transmission, but I could be wrong.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 24 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Could you imagine the work involved for the mechanism for that? Too much for too little return IMO. The "paddleshifters" for most production cars these days operate an automatic or CVT transmission except in the supercar applications. I was driving next to a 458 Italia the other day in traffic and his trans was sounding clunky and the car was lurching back and forth as the trans selector system was contending with the stop and go, cornering and general traffic conditions. No thanks... great on the track or probably highway conditions, but around town maybe not the best. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Dunc
post Jul 24 2014, 10:07 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 24 2014, 08:33 AM) *

I don't think a paddle shift will work on a fully mechanical transmission, but I could be wrong.

The Cap'n

There's an outfit called Master Shift that sells aftermarket paddle shifter kits for a variety of manual transmissions. They tell me that their product will work on a 901 side shifter.....but it is godawful expensive....$2900 minimum. So I was wondering whether anybody else had been looking into something similar.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 24 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The question is ... "Why would you want this?"

Part of the fun of a 914 is that it has a manual transmission. Porsche is taking lots of Grief right now for not offering the new GT3 with a manual transmission. The German's say it is faster, but the buyers say it is, and I quote, "Boring".

I may want a better, newer manual trans that can handle more HP, but I certainly don't want a flappy paddle shifter in my 914.

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #6

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

IMHO, a sequential mechanical shifter would be a nice change for all around use, but paddle is not worth it. More of a novelty.

Some day when I get time I will develop a sequential setup.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Jul 24 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,507

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2014, 08:28 AM) *

IMHO, a sequential mechanical shifter would be a nice change for all around use, but paddle is not worth it. More of a novelty.

Some day when I get time I will develop a sequential setup.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

How are you going to do a barrel in the 901? It would be much easier to pick a sequential from Hewland and do a new bell housing.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 24 2014, 10:49 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2014, 11:28 AM) *

Here's something to start with... Sequential shifter for VW Trans

Sequential shifter for Porsche GT3
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jul 24 2014, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2014, 08:28 AM) *

How are you going to do a barrel in the 901? It would be much easier to pick a sequential from Hewland and do a new bell housing.

Why does it have to be IN the 901. All you need is a mechanism to put the shift shaft in the right place. No need for internal nothing.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 24 2014, 12:49 PM) *

Like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I want to see if I can simplify it and make it electrical rather than hydraulic. Lighter? Easier to route?
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Jul 24 2014, 11:55 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

the E36 and E46 M3 SMG trans was a manual trans with the detents removed and had a external electrohydralic selector system bolted on.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 24 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Dunc @ Jul 24 2014, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 24 2014, 08:33 AM) *

The Cap'n

There's an outfit called Master Shift that sells aftermarket paddle shifter kits for a variety of manual transmissions. They tell me that their product will work on a 901 side shifter.....but it is godawful expensive....$2900 minimum. So I was wondering whether anybody else had been looking into something similar.

A full stock rebuild done with dealer sourced parts could easily reach that figure, done in a retail setting. Would you want a $6K/7K tranny (with installation labor) in your $4K/5K daily driver?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 24 2014, 12:10 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2014, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 24 2014, 12:49 PM) *

Like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I want to see if I can simplify it and make it electrical rather than hydraulic. Lighter? Easier to route?

I can't find it anymore, but there was a Japanese manufaturer that was making bolt on, all mechanical sequential shifters. Basically, it was a sequential drum in the shifter that moved a rod out of the bottom in the H pattern. They were even advertising one for the early 911 with the 901 trans.

Wish I could find that website... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #14

Ya, something just like that. Not too hard to design a drum that moves the external rod to a set position in a preprogrammed sequence. Basically a mechanical computer.

However, I could more easily make a hydraulic setup to make shifting unbelievably crisp with my other in the box modifications. I like making things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I need to source some small hydraulic cylinders and get to tinkering....in a few months.
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Jul 24 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 781

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2014, 01:22 PM) *

Ya, something just like that. Not too hard to design a drum that moves the external rod to a set position in a preprogrammed sequence. Basically a mechanical computer.

If you visualize the grooved drum, I think you will find that it is not possible for it to move a follower in two directions as required to follow the "H". The follower can only be moved along the axis of the drum. It could be made to work if the drum acted directly on the shift forks with one groove for each fork/slider. That's how motorcycle transmissions work (at least all the ones I've had apart).
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #16

Well, there are a few things that can be done. Two drums, plate assemblies, etc. Not impossible by any stretch.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2014, 01:32 PM
Post #17

Easier would be two solenoids and to program them to be at a certain coordinate with a certain number of shifter inputs. Easier in the long run with far less machining and expensive work.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 24 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2014, 02:32 PM) *

Easier would be two solenoids and to program them to be at a certain coordinate with a certain number of shifter inputs. Easier in the long run with far less machining and expensive work.

How about one that moves the side shift console selector for and aft, and one that moves it up and down?

Then a shift lever with a rotating disk with electrical contacts to engage the correct solenoids at the correct time.

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #19

I would rather solenoids for a sequential. That would be easy. Click fore or aft = pre programmed position of the two solenoids. For actual shifting, that would take some more fancy stuff in the shifter area as far as sensors. Not worth it. I can make a standard shifter work in that capacity very well. I am working on a mechanical improvement for the external works. Again, I just need time. Not before I move to OH will anything be done.
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Jul 24 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #20

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

Ah Yes
An idea a long time coming.Sorta like the SportoMatic only with the 45 years of
technology to help.Sensors to determine fork positions,clutch engagement,engine revs,
roadspeed,braking parameters,the possibility of double clutching selectively,and on and on.The engineering talent and money that went into today's masterpieces is staggering on the F1 scale.Linear actuators may be the answer in there,sorta like a hydraulic cylinder with fine resolution control of rates.This could be fun,hard work.
Stick?Nah,a 1969 looking version of the latest gizmo,turn signal stalks repurposed.
I had a look at the vid of the cable shift and I am impressed with the results.A melding of the available actuators and electric over hydraulic/linear may produce a mechanism to circumvent the agricultural trellis-work that is there now.I am in wonder that very same device actually won it's class at LeMan.
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:11 AM