Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First kinda-lame experience..., ...but already recovering!
eriqx
post Jul 24 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So, without running on and on with too much detail... as per this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=239222&hl=
I am pretty new to this.

As far as quick background goes, I am pretty handy. But that said, I am absolutely not a mechanic. I like to tinker, and take things apart. But there is plenty that I am just going to pay someone else to do. My primary focus with my 914 is to drive around in it, and enjoy it for as long as possible.

I found a fun little specialty shop, that was recommended by a friend (who knows the owner personally), that specializes in German makes, old and new. I took it in for the standard once-over. In short, they kinda blew me off. Before they even pulled it into the back, they were confirming that I had "already bought this thing" (with a negative connotation), and "what were my intentions for this car", etc. etc. It was off-putting. After it was all said and done, they mentioned a few minor concerns, and said that the fair amount of rust lurking underneath should deter me from "pouring any money into this thing". Then they said I'd get a copy of the list (of repair needs), I would not get a quote on any repairs for another day (understandable, 44-year-old parts to be found). At which point I paid, realized later I got the receipt (but NO copy of the list), and they never called back (ever) with any quotes.

After all that, I was a bit dismayed - in the sense that, is this going to be what I am up against trying to keep this beautiful little car in my life... I went thru the whole "people just don't get it" thing, thinking that even only having been a 914 owner for a month, I've inherited an obsessive love for this machine, where normal humans only see a rusty unsalvageable nightmare.

But I digress. I found another shop. A one-man show, specializes in VW only. Talked with him today, and set his expectations (there is rust, get ready, get over it). He said we will work together, get a game plan in place, and one thing at a time, whatever I can do, and whatever I need to pay him to do, this car has a future. He also mentioned a company in Atlanta that sells all the frame and body parts - their mission statement being that no 914 anywhere will ever rust away.

I'm not delusional, I know rust is the devil. And I know over time the money will add up. But I have a lot of time. And I am patient. The first shop seemed to think I wanted to restore it and take it to Concours or something. This guy is just happy I want to drive it around, and he seems ready to help me do that.

So I rambled on anyway. But wanted to share. I hit my first wall, but think I have recovered nicely with a very cool, local, and understanding mechanic. Here's to the hopefully long future of at least one 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
eriqx   First kinda-lame experience...   Jul 24 2014, 01:16 PM
KELTY360   Sounds like you've found a better place. Bewar...   Jul 24 2014, 01:23 PM
Big Len   Sounds like you've found a better place. Bewa...   Jul 24 2014, 02:28 PM
damesandhotrods   I lived in Portland when I bought my 914. It need...   Jul 24 2014, 01:34 PM
swooshdave   I lived in Portland when I bought my 914. It nee...   Jul 27 2014, 09:56 AM
green914   :wttc:   Jul 24 2014, 01:45 PM
Dr Evil   Restoration Design in Canada has quality parts and...   Jul 24 2014, 01:49 PM
ThePaintedMan   Restoration Design in Canada has quality parts an...   Jul 24 2014, 02:14 PM
Java2570   :wttc: You'll get the right kind of help and...   Jul 24 2014, 02:42 PM
PanelBilly   Use your camera and take picture of the issues on ...   Jul 24 2014, 02:56 PM
76-914   :wttc: Your a lucky man. The Grand Poohpa of 914 b...   Jul 24 2014, 03:10 PM
jmill   I'm just South of you in Racine. If you need ...   Jul 24 2014, 03:17 PM
bandjoey   F I x. It. Y o u r s e f. It's an easy car t...   Jul 24 2014, 04:06 PM
wndsrfr   F I x. It. Y o u r s e f. It's an easy car ...   Jul 27 2014, 08:31 AM
Cuda911   Guys: For parts, I HIGHLY recommend: TC's Ga...   Jul 24 2014, 04:16 PM
eriqx   So the updates (so far)... I have since been to t...   Jul 26 2014, 08:41 PM
Dave_Darling   Pelican Parts and GPR are also both well thought o...   Jul 26 2014, 09:39 PM
jmill   PS - jmill, I will probably have to take you up o...   Jul 27 2014, 09:30 AM
JRust   Wanted to buy adds in the classifieds will also ge...   Jul 27 2014, 09:45 AM
offwatch   Glad things are going better for you on the 914. F...   Jul 27 2014, 11:59 PM
76-914   Glad things are going better for you on the 914. ...   Jul 28 2014, 08:13 AM
billh1963   I've never had a problem with AA on new parts....   Jul 28 2014, 08:50 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 02:54 PM