Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First kinda-lame experience..., ...but already recovering!
eriqx
post Jul 24 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So, without running on and on with too much detail... as per this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=239222&hl=
I am pretty new to this.

As far as quick background goes, I am pretty handy. But that said, I am absolutely not a mechanic. I like to tinker, and take things apart. But there is plenty that I am just going to pay someone else to do. My primary focus with my 914 is to drive around in it, and enjoy it for as long as possible.

I found a fun little specialty shop, that was recommended by a friend (who knows the owner personally), that specializes in German makes, old and new. I took it in for the standard once-over. In short, they kinda blew me off. Before they even pulled it into the back, they were confirming that I had "already bought this thing" (with a negative connotation), and "what were my intentions for this car", etc. etc. It was off-putting. After it was all said and done, they mentioned a few minor concerns, and said that the fair amount of rust lurking underneath should deter me from "pouring any money into this thing". Then they said I'd get a copy of the list (of repair needs), I would not get a quote on any repairs for another day (understandable, 44-year-old parts to be found). At which point I paid, realized later I got the receipt (but NO copy of the list), and they never called back (ever) with any quotes.

After all that, I was a bit dismayed - in the sense that, is this going to be what I am up against trying to keep this beautiful little car in my life... I went thru the whole "people just don't get it" thing, thinking that even only having been a 914 owner for a month, I've inherited an obsessive love for this machine, where normal humans only see a rusty unsalvageable nightmare.

But I digress. I found another shop. A one-man show, specializes in VW only. Talked with him today, and set his expectations (there is rust, get ready, get over it). He said we will work together, get a game plan in place, and one thing at a time, whatever I can do, and whatever I need to pay him to do, this car has a future. He also mentioned a company in Atlanta that sells all the frame and body parts - their mission statement being that no 914 anywhere will ever rust away.

I'm not delusional, I know rust is the devil. And I know over time the money will add up. But I have a lot of time. And I am patient. The first shop seemed to think I wanted to restore it and take it to Concours or something. This guy is just happy I want to drive it around, and he seems ready to help me do that.

So I rambled on anyway. But wanted to share. I hit my first wall, but think I have recovered nicely with a very cool, local, and understanding mechanic. Here's to the hopefully long future of at least one 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 24 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #2

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sounds like you've found a better place. Beware that source in Atlanta that has "everything for a 914." Their reputation for customer service and quality is a well documented disaster on this site. That said, there are many sources here for quality parts, new and used. All you have to do is ask.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Jul 24 2014, 01:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

I lived in Portland when I bought my 914. It needed a new alternator, so I went to a reputable highly recommended garage. They wouldn’t even look at the car. His price quote was jumping $25 to $50 every other sentence, literally. There was a woman in the waiting room, and you should have her face. As I was leaving I was told that they don’t really want to work on 914s because the repairs cost more than the car is worth. The great part was they had a receipt or two in pile of paperwork that came with the car. It was a shame SW Macadam was an easy to get to location…
+Quote Post
green914
post Jul 24 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,874

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2014, 01:49 PM
Post #5

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Restoration Design in Canada has quality parts and great people working there.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 24 2014, 02:14 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2014, 03:49 PM) *

Restoration Design in Canada has quality parts and great people working there.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Send your mechanic to their website: http://restoration-design.com/

He and you will both be happier dealing with them than the aforementioned "company in Atlanta".

Glad you've got the bug like the rest of us and want to see the car back on the road. You will get frustrated at times, but don't let it stop you. It'll be worth it in the end.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jul 24 2014, 02:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 24 2014, 03:23 PM) *

Sounds like you've found a better place. Beware that source in Atlanta that has "everything for a 914." Their reputation for customer service and quality is a well documented disaster on this site. That said, there are many sources here for quality parts, new and used. All you have to do is ask.

+Quote Post
Java2570
post Jul 24 2014, 02:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,035

You'll get the right kind of help and direction here.....a lot of european repair shops won't touch the older air cooled models anymore. In my location, there are no shops at all that do quality work. If you want to own a 914, you must be willing to learn the way around your car with the tools. None of the work is really that hard. Just ask a lot of questions and do a ton of reading and searching and you'll be well on your way.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 24 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Use your camera and take picture of the issues on the car. Post them here with your questions and learn what to do. It will make the car even more fun
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 24 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Your a lucky man. The Grand Poohpa of 914 bodywork lives in Duluth, MN. Rick is probably 2 years out but he's a magician.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jul 24 2014, 03:17 PM
Post #11

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

I'm just South of you in Racine. If you need help with something just let me know. I don't take my car to mechanics. I'd be surprised if they even knew what a 914 was around here.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jul 24 2014, 04:06 PM
Post #12

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

F I x. It. Y o u r s e f.

It's an easy car to learn and work on. First post pictures and problems and drive the car. We'll help u get it running. Second. Keep it off jackstands. They'll grow into steel like alians and zombies.

Third. Pull off the rockers and the battery. Post pictures of rust u see. It might be ok to treat and drive for a while before starting metal work.

You'll work faster after tasting the drive. Good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 24 2014, 04:16 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Guys:

For parts, I HIGHLY recommend:

TC's Garage
1315 Hot Springs Way #105, Vista, CA 92081
(760) 295-3330

http://www.tcsgarage.com/

The owners, Tom and Bev Gould are very active long-term members of our local PCA (both are past presidents/officers).

Tom specialized in 914 parts for many years, and is an utmost guru of these cars. He was one of the founders of Pelican, but eventually opened up TC's Garage with his wife Bev.

Also, Tom has always matched any price I have found elsewhere.

(Mods, I hope it's OK that I put in this recommendation for TC's Garage. I have no affiliation whatsoever, just a very satisfied customer)
+Quote Post
eriqx
post Jul 26 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,606

So the updates (so far)...

I have since been to the VW shop, and this guy is really very cool. I gave him a little breakdown of my experience with the previous shop (I did not mention the name of the shop) - and he named it immediately. He knew the deal. They only like shiny things, and kinda look down their nose at the old stuff, the air cooled stuff, the stuff that's a little rougher around the edges. He himself is driving around in a VW Bus. I'm immediately feeling better. He is building himself a Karmann Ghia and is pretty excited about having a new customer who loves his 914.

After his inspection, the diagnoses is that the previously exaggerated rust is not that bad (there is a rusted-thru jack point, need to replace). And the car needs a ball joint. But the engine is good, the trans is good. The rust is manageable.

It was a really great experience overall. i'm glad I found this guy.

As for all the good stuff I'm learning here... I've got Atlanta crossed off the list. I've got TCs Garage and Restoration Design in Canada added to my list. And a coworker of mine has since put me in touch with a guy in Texas who owns a few 914s and has some parts available. I'm feeling pretty in-the-zone at the moment, all things considered.

Thou I *did* have a brief non-starting electrical issue today. But that is a completely other story...

PS - jmill, I will probably have to take you up on that someday. I do appreciate the offer and am looking forward to learning my own way around this beautiful little monster.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 26 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #15

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Pelican Parts and GPR are also both well thought of around here.

If you need something and are willing to pay a good bit of $$ for it, High Performance House in Redwood City CA has multiples of every part that could possibly be bolted onto a 914.

Pelican is my favorite, of course....

--DD
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jul 27 2014, 08:31 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 24 2014, 02:06 PM) *

F I x. It. Y o u r s e f.

It's an easy car to learn and work on.

For the starter, get a relay. Easy to do, three 914's for me, three relays & no more starting problems. Do a search here & you'll find how to wire it up....I've used relays from Honda or Toyota cooling fans and the Ford one also....all work fine....easier to hang the jap ones than the heavier Ford ymmv... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jul 27 2014, 09:30 AM
Post #17

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

QUOTE(eriqx @ Jul 26 2014, 09:41 PM) *

PS - jmill, I will probably have to take you up on that someday. I do appreciate the offer and am looking forward to learning my own way around this beautiful little monster.

Not a problem. I completely understand. I've only let one guy (Rick 918-S) touch my car. I'm pretty particular and he definitely knows his stuff.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 27 2014, 09:45 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Wanted to buy adds in the classifieds will also get you what you need used. Most 914 owners end up with a parts car at some point. So you can get used parts & usually pretty reasonably. The shop you found the guy sounds cool. His approach is good but make sure you have an actual estimate from him when he is going to do work. Nothing worse than going to pick it up & having a huge surprise when you get the bill
+Quote Post
swooshdave
post Jul 27 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 17,475

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jul 24 2014, 12:34 PM) *

I lived in Portland when I bought my 914. It needed a new alternator, so I went to a reputable highly recommended garage. They wouldn’t even look at the car. His price quote was jumping $25 to $50 every other sentence, literally. There was a woman in the waiting room, and you should have her face. As I was leaving I was told that they don’t really want to work on 914s because the repairs cost more than the car is worth. The great part was they had a receipt or two in pile of paperwork that came with the car. It was a shame SW Macadam was an easy to get to location…

My friend would take his 911 there. He knew the bill was going to be painful, each and every time. Even for an oil change. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
offwatch
post Jul 27 2014, 11:59 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,725
Region Association: None

Glad things are going better for you on the 914. For a different view I have ordered at least dozen orders from AA and they all have come through as expected with no problems. I am currently losing my patients with the bird on an order that was not up to my expectations, they have nice customer service people but they say its their suppliers problem, blah, blah, blah and pass the buck. I do still hope they will make it right.

Its when things go wrong that you learn how good a companies customer service is, and so far I haven't had a problem with AA. Its also the first problem I have had with the bird after lots of orders.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:28 AM