Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> rear brake caliper
dax1969
post Jul 25 2014, 05:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,103
Region Association: None

Hi,

My 1973 2.0 failed inspection yesterday morning and was diagnosed that the flexible hose on the rear caliper (passengerside) leaked when the brakepedal is pushed hard. I thought, no big deal and immediately bought 2 (L + R) new flexible hoses and called up the mechanic who prepared my car for inspection.

With a day to go before he leaves on holiday for 2 weeks I stood at his door at 06h30 this morning hoping that he quickly installed the tubes so I could go back for inspection. Peeking through the rim he first confirmed that the tube was dry but after I pushed the pedal he indeed noticed some oil escaping.
I assumed he would take his tools to install the tubes but for me it looked like he was not in the mood. He said that he noticed some oil on the outer adjustment screw (the screw with the plastic cap on) and advised me to buy a new caliper !! Perhaps in his world (bug, busses and other VW stuff) you can buy a new one right of the shelf but a new one for a 914 is not to find. I am in search of a company now who can rebuild the rear calipers but my question is :

* can the brake oil indeed escape through this adjustment screw and what does this mean ? Failure of an inner seal or worn out adjustment screw or....

Thanks your help/advice

krgds
Dax
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 02:20 AM