Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Damn it! Bought another 914 project tonight, I swore I was done with that! Car is actually pretty solid
JRust
post Jul 25 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so I went to look at a 911 project off craigslist tonight. Get there to find 75 914 instead. Not a nice one either. Its the olympic blue with a 1.8. Engine lid isn't bolted in place. It was in a carport the last 8 years. So out of the rain but not completely out of the elements. Walk around it to see some problem areas. Battery tray looks different & has some rivets holding it to the firewall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . I make one trip around & thank the lady but tell her it's not for me. She asks if I want to see the parts he had been buying for the project. They come with the car. I grudgingly turn around & say why not.

We walk in the room in her house with the parts. Talk about hoarders I can't see any parts. Then look around & see some red NOS metal sticking up on the corner. Turns out it is a NOS drivers complete quarter panel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (along with the receipt from 1993 for $1072 they paid for just that panel from sunset Porsche in Beaverton). My interest just seriously jumped. Then we move shit around & get to where she thinks the parts are. I see a lame Porsche rear deck wing but it is brand new. I see a nice stock rear valance. Then we open a box. Brand new 911 rear hub's, Axle's, CV's, Vented Rotor's, rebuilt calipers for a complete rear 5 lug conversion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) . Damn I'm thinking I don't give a rats ass about the car but I want all these parts. There were a few other misc pieces but I ask her about the 5 lug stuff. There isn't anything for the front. Are there more pieces for the front. She says I have some 5-lug wheels for it out back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . I'm damn near giddy at this point figuring to find some nice fuchs. NOT just some steelie's although I did find the hubcaps for them.
We go back to the car & I say I really don't want the car. I am interested in the extra parts. Would you be willing to split them up. She says maybe. So we go back into the room. I ask if there is anything else. We dig through some boxes. Bunch of clothes & misc shit. So I am thinking what to offer her. I give a tall skinnier box a little kick & get a metallic clink. Ah some more parts I figured. I pull it out & see an Auto Atlana sticker on it. Hum I've seen a box like this when I got my flared in the group buy. Holy shit! Yes I found a set of repro GT flares (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) . I make her an offer & she says I suppose I can do that. I had another guy offer me $600 just for the car. So I said I'll give you another $500 for the car & haul all of it away. She smiles & says done deal. She was askin $2500 for it all & I paid her $2000. She was happy & so was I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I'll post some pics of the parts I brought home. Going back for the car tomorrow morning
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 25 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Sweet deal! You get valuable parts, a car that you could use if necessary or sell off- win win for you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 25 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #3

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Ha-Ha!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jul 25 2014, 08:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,308

Awesome! Are you going to part it? I need a few things.
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 25 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #5

The youngin'

Member No.: 16,784
Region Association: North East States

Same deal with my '75, there was the car, then practically every single part to build a new 914 from the ground up! (It wasn't supposed to run, but all it needed was a battery) -and I got it for $1800- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

What the condition of the car?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 25 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Okay I took bunch of pics. Only parts not shown are the hubcaps & 4 brand new cv's. Also one of the stub axles I need to track down. Found some more stuff when unpacking. Brand new set of 23mm torsion bars, SS graded brake lines, 19mm MC. If someone wants to tell me my rear calipers are original 914-6 ones I will real do a back flip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Hey On the Steelies. they are 4 1/2x15's with kind of a flat center hubcap. Is this just a ordinary vw steel wheel? I know there are some steelie's that are hard to find

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
swooshdave
post Jul 25 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,475

I hate to tell you bad news but I don't think those wheels are Fuches…
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Jul 26 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #8

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

Awesome scoop!!! I want dat duck..
+Quote Post
ben*james
post Jul 26 2014, 08:14 AM
Post #9

LIFER

Member No.: 10,062

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Weak moment....

Nice score (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 26 2014, 08:28 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

Well if you want to stop buying projects.......stop going to look at them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
I just don't look, if I do I'm sure to buy something.

Nice score though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Jul 26 2014, 08:34 AM
Post #11

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

wow!! Great luck!!
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 26 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Nice buy
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jul 26 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Major score for $2k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 26 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Okay I am revising my earlier statement that it's a piece of crap. Car is actually pretty solid. Long's look great. Trunks are in great shape with no rust. Battery tray was replaced & not well. There is some rust on the wall & part of the old tray. No holes except where they tried to pop rivet the new tray on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Going to go pull the computer & take a look at the hell hole. Didn't even bother whenI went to look at it. I had no plans on bringing it home. I really am trying not to buy any more 914's. IT would take a smoking deal for me to change that. Looks like I found that. Here are a couple quick pics of the car on the trailer. I'll add some more later today once I unload it

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Jul 26 2014, 12:42 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,969

That don't look too bad at all, plus a major bonus on the spare parts. Congrats..
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 26 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Kick ass find. BTW if it's a '75 is Laguna blue...YES! What's the vin? Mine ends in 0057. Always wondered if there was another one in the same color as mine with a consecutive VIN #.

On the steelies, the most desirable should be dated somewhere ...what does this say? It's not quite clear enough.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 26 2014, 01:18 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Calipers look to be one Early (1 bleeder) and one Late (2 bleeders). Probably spaced -4's. Smoking deal on the parts. Steelies are early 911/912 because they are 4 1/2 ", I think they went to 5 1/2 " in 69.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 26 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Yes, those 5 lug wheels are even valuable. I think the car looks pretty solid and it is worth a bundle just in parts. You scored. I woulda bought that too, Mr. Honeyhole.....

Date is in the circle, to the left......month over year
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 26 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 26 2014, 12:45 PM) *

Yes, those 5 lug wheels are even valuable. I think the car looks pretty solid and it is worth a bundle just in parts. You scored. I woulda bought that too, Mr. Honeyhole.....

Date is in the circle, to the left......month over year

date on the wheels is 12/65

Check out this receipts from Otto's from 2005. Holy crap $3700 for basically all the rear end stuff

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 26 2014, 03:42 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Got some more pics. Took more of the wheels to get an idea from a few guys here. They are all date stamped 12/65. All are straight with one wheel having one section of rash.

Took more of the car. There is a hole below the battery tray. Conveniently covered up with a thin piece of sheet metal. Pulling it up There is a 1" gap going down into the long. There is a hole on the bottom of the long. From the side the long looks perfect. Underneath you find the hole. Not to bad to fix on this one. Some patching, cleaning it out & treating it will be good to go. That are some other spots with surface rust.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:30 AM