Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruby red Metallic / Rubinrot Pearl / Rubinrot Metallic / Rubin Red Metallic, I am having an identity crisis
ruby914
post Jul 27 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

This all started with my first car, "Ruby red metallic". I got the can of left over paint from the shop but sent it back for some touch up. I no longer have any of the original paint or can with a brand or paint code#.

I have been trying to narrow down the perfect color for the flared car. I started out with a quart, painting some of the hidden areas with a water based "Ruby Red Metallic" but it didn't look as dark as the first car? A littel brighter was not bad but this was a little too bright. This is what they gave me PPG EHP Rubinrot 8A7

Next trip to the paint shop I got a single stage Omni Granatrot, L822 /822 / lm3y.
It was darker, I liked this new color. It was closer to the old car. I painted the front and back trunks with this. ( I understand Granatrot is a different color but thought Rubinrot was a darker Porshe color?)

Moving to the exterior I thought I should go to a 2 stage paint so I was given Omni MBX 882 / L882 / LM3Y.
I painted the caul and windshield frame. It was quite a bit different than the single stage. Seems lighter with more and finer metallic. I, kind of, like the single stage better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Next, I try a pint of the better stuff, 2 stage PPG EHP Granarot L822 / LM3Y / 822 and paint a door. This looks very metallic and light. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I like the single stage best.

OK, so when I go to the paint shop, I am told PPG dosen't make some colors in a 2 stage paint. Like Ruby Red Metalic L810 and I think that is the color of my first car.

I am also told that:
Ruby red Metallic / Rubinrot Pearl / Rubinrot Metallic / Rubin Red Metallic are all the same color.

I look online and see different MY pant colors that come and go. Some pick up different paint codes for the same color. Some colors have multiple paint codes?
I ask what is the difference between 822 and L822 but am only told that they are the same. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Looking at online photos is little help because the lighting is a huge factor.
I am thinking of getting some touch-up paint samples next.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-...010/all-models/
Even there, I think I see the same color with different labels? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 27 2014, 01:15 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you like the single stage. I say stick with that just do a multiple coats. I've seen plenty of single stage that are flat out beautiful
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jul 27 2014, 02:14 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 27 2014, 12:15 PM) *

If you like the single stage. I say stick with that just do a multiple coats. I've seen plenty of single stage that are flat out beautiful

Yes, I have given that some consideration. I have heard good things about single stage. Less so about single stage metallic. I have also wondered if a high quality clear can be sprayed on top for more UV protection.

My first car needs touch up work so I would still like to know more about all the names and codes for different years.

Here is the OG Ruby Red 914 in all its glory. (1984 ruby red met L810) I think?

More confusion to be found here: http://www.elferclassic.de/technik/farben/plack_rot.php

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jul 27 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #4

Here is a beautiful 911 with the paint ID tag L810
"The Ruby Red Metallic (810) paint is original and as perfect as possible for a 25 year-old car"
I was told PPG is not making this in 2 stage but my car is 2 stage.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jul 27 2014, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Here is an 810 rubinrotmetallic.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 27 2014, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I had paint scanned with a color correction camera. the paint store can develop a formula usually in anything you want to spray. Sometimes you still need to tint the color to get it spot on. Specially with Metallics. This is DuPont though. Not sure about PPG. You Cali guys are stuck with that funny water color stuff now I guess. That may be a limiting factor.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jul 27 2014, 05:44 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 27 2014, 03:40 PM) *

I had paint scanned with a color correction camera. the paint store can develop a formula usually in anything you want to spray. Sometimes you still need to tint the color to get it spot on. Specially with Metallics. This is DuPont though. Not sure about PPG. You Cali guys are stuck with that funny water color stuff now I guess. That may be a limiting factor.

Oh, yea, the color scanning camera.
My first car comes back American Motors, Vivid red poly, paint code BK.
That was the best match and not great.
He said it didn't come up with a Porsche color.

On the other car, I thought about reducing metallic from one color, to let the base color come through better. But I couldn't come up with a baseline to work from. The formula from 1 stage to 2 stage is too different.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 27 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #8

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

You're going to be hard pressed to get a perfect match to original when using water born. The ,last color I went through effort matching was Slate Grey. PPG Water was no bueno so we went to England and had someone go through the manual files and get the old formula. It was spot on without any tint and we did it in base clear. Originally it would have been single stage. I went through hell matching Irish green last year as none of the formulas were close. not even the sample from a well known west coast shop ( water born ) . That one had to be hand matched and I kept the formula for it. It's not an easy task matching these old colors. HOURS can be tied up in just that aspect of a restoration. Between the paint shop and I we probably easily had 10-15 hours in mixing, spraying, debating, remixing, respraying etc before we got it.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 27 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #9

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Check NV or AZ for paint, Mike. The Omni single stage I used 4 years ago was good for the price. I'm sure they changed the paint in CA since then.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:11 PM