Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ruby red Metallic / Rubinrot Pearl / Rubinrot Metallic / Rubin Red Metallic, I am having an identity crisis
ruby914
post Jul 27 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

This all started with my first car, "Ruby red metallic". I got the can of left over paint from the shop but sent it back for some touch up. I no longer have any of the original paint or can with a brand or paint code#.

I have been trying to narrow down the perfect color for the flared car. I started out with a quart, painting some of the hidden areas with a water based "Ruby Red Metallic" but it didn't look as dark as the first car? A littel brighter was not bad but this was a little too bright. This is what they gave me PPG EHP Rubinrot 8A7

Next trip to the paint shop I got a single stage Omni Granatrot, L822 /822 / lm3y.
It was darker, I liked this new color. It was closer to the old car. I painted the front and back trunks with this. ( I understand Granatrot is a different color but thought Rubinrot was a darker Porshe color?)

Moving to the exterior I thought I should go to a 2 stage paint so I was given Omni MBX 882 / L882 / LM3Y.
I painted the caul and windshield frame. It was quite a bit different than the single stage. Seems lighter with more and finer metallic. I, kind of, like the single stage better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Next, I try a pint of the better stuff, 2 stage PPG EHP Granarot L822 / LM3Y / 822 and paint a door. This looks very metallic and light. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I like the single stage best.

OK, so when I go to the paint shop, I am told PPG dosen't make some colors in a 2 stage paint. Like Ruby Red Metalic L810 and I think that is the color of my first car.

I am also told that:
Ruby red Metallic / Rubinrot Pearl / Rubinrot Metallic / Rubin Red Metallic are all the same color.

I look online and see different MY pant colors that come and go. Some pick up different paint codes for the same color. Some colors have multiple paint codes?
I ask what is the difference between 822 and L822 but am only told that they are the same. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Looking at online photos is little help because the lighting is a huge factor.
I am thinking of getting some touch-up paint samples next.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-...010/all-models/
Even there, I think I see the same color with different labels? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 01:43 PM